AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this elsewhere with no response. Anyone know this? I'm curious to see how close projectors are getting to true HD.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I think that would be infinite. As long as there is any value for turning pixels off, then infinite would be the theoretical limit.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw crap, you have me there. Well, there MUST be someway to correlate that. Right? Like, for instance, if there's a theoretically perfect projector perfectly setup and it had perfect blacks, how many lumens would it take to put out the brightest whites? Well, I think *someone* must understand what I'm trying to say. Eh?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wouldn't a better question be:

How many different shades of grey can HDTV display, and how many can the best Digital projector display?

Notice the word digital, because I'd rather someone didn't jump out with the obvious answer of 'a decent CRT can display all of them'.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
All consumer video, including HD, is 8 bits. That translates to 256 shades of gray.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robena
All consumer video, including HD, is 8 bits. That translates to 256 shades of gray.
Rather sobering. Why only 8 bits?

Frantz

Port-au-Prince, Haiti

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
More bits need more bandwidth, and more costly MPEG encoders/decoders.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hence dither, from what I gather. The TI spokesman told me that if they didn't dither the crap out of the DLP chips that it would look absolutely terrible. Not that I like the look of dither much. Supposedly they are now going to 10-bit DLPs, but I don't know how that will help unless they can use interpolation to extrapolate more bittage. Of course my EDTV looks like crap on a lot of satellite with lots of faces looking like they've dropped it to 4-6 bit. I suppose though, that if a processor can sense pixels that differ by one shade of gray or sense a row of pixels that are all the same, it might be able to be programmed to great a gradient of values. I would think that would take some slick processing though. So, I'm guessing the actual answer is that there's plenty of brightness to fulfill HDTV and that only the blacks need to be improved. On DLPs, that is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.