Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the theory:

Suppose D&M decides to not honor lifetime subscriptions.

Then, lifetime subscribers are NOT obligated to abide by their Replay user agreement (if D&M doesn't abide by it, why should lifetimers?)

Therefore, it becomes perfectly legitimate to launch an alternative guide service, through whatever means enterprising Replay owners come up with. At that point, D&M would find it difficult to charge for something that is otherwise available for free.

And, also, any non-lifetimers who manage to circumvent activation would also be able to use the alternate guide service as well. (which would probably encourage such behavior as well)

Granted, it might be challenging to accomplish, but it seems possible, and thus frames how D&M will have to handle lifetime subscribers.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Also, if D&M doesn't give me a guide, I'm going to march down to their office and shove my 5175 up somebody's.....oh wait...sorry....

Seriously though, you need to come back down to reality. Let's not get all frantic, like a teacher once told me, "If you play the 'what if' game the only person who loses is you."

Chill out

·
Registered
448 Posts
Personally, I never understood why the idea of rolling your own guide service is considered by some to be "theft of service".

Finding a way to circumvent paying to get the guide from Replay would be theft of service... but no providing your own.

I can purchase a telephone from SBC. If I plug that phone into a home-made intercom system that's not connected to a real live phone line, am I stealing service? I think not...

Theft of service means stealing the service... providing your own is something else entirely, no matter who owns Replay or what they provide.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Most people here would agree - if you're a lifetime subscriber as the original poster said.

I really think that it appears D&M will honor lifetime subs though. But yeah, worry about that when the day comes you need to truly "worry" about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by TimSH
Personally, I never understood why the idea of rolling your own guide service is considered by some to be "theft of service".

Finding a way to circumvent paying to get the guide from Replay would be theft of service... but no providing your own.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tivo seems to be able to successfully charge monthly/lifetime fees even though there are published, alternative ways to load your own guide data on a Tivo.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kcobra
Tivo seems to be able to successfully charge monthly/lifetime fees even though there are published, alternative ways to load your own guide data on a Tivo.
Yeah, but doesn't the Tivo become a paperweight if it doesn't connect to the mothership on occassion (just like the monthly sub'd ReplayTVs)?

Or do these alternative guides somehow keep Tivos from becoming doorstops?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The alternative guide methods keep the Tivo from becoming a doorstop. They make the Tivo think it successfully connected and then the Tivo works for 30 days before going in doorstop mode again. At that point you re-run the script and you get another 30 days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.