AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got my new samsung 6178 and everything is great. However I use the motorola stb from my cable company so I can get HD etc.

The new tv has a cablecard slot. If I get a cable card does that allow me to view HD channels without the STB?

I have noticed that SD looks better straight from the wall than when going through the stb that mediacom provided me. So if i can get rid of this thing the better life will be! :)

Thanks in advance

Tom

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes, but you lose the 2-way communication. Therefore, no TV guide or PPV. Obviously, someone fell asleep at the design review :)

Paul

·
Registered
691 Posts
read my sig....

it's nothing personal, it's been my sig forever.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfleming
Ok so I got my new samsung 6178 and everything is great. However I use the motorola stb from my cable company so I can get HD etc.

The new tv has a cablecard slot. If I get a cable card does that allow me to view HD channels without the STB?

I have noticed that SD looks better straight from the wall than when going through the stb that mediacom provided me. So if i can get rid of this thing the better life will be! :)

Tom
You can replace the STB with a cablecard. Like was pointed out above, you lose two way communication (e.g., pay per view) and the cable company's TV listing. However, you would get TV Guide On Screen. Also, the cablecard is only needed to descramble premium channels. For free stuff including standard HD channels you don't need a cablecard at all.

Jon

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Although cablecard eliminates the need for the cableco box, you can not do PPV or OnDemand as with the box. To improve my analog channel reception, I inserted a 5-1000GHz, -3.5 db, two-way slipper at the wall. You don't want to split too many times before going to the box since it is signal level sensitive. When the next generation of cablecard emerges that does 2-way communication then I'll consider eliminating the cableco box. BTW, some are saying that the 2-way cc will require new hardware, i.e., a new TV.

YMMV

·
Registered
564 Posts
yeah....did you see the memo?

·
Registered
564 Posts
CC=better PQ but no 2 way or payperview via remote.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Another plus about the cable card is that you free up one of your component or hdmi/dvi slot. It may depend on where you are at that will determine if you get the on-screen tv guide. I don't get one in my area. And that's one less device you need a remote for. You also lose on-demand movies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.