AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not referring to passive versus active.


Those that only support HDMI 1.4x 3D formats and those that support additional modes that allow scalable 3D and even multiple 3D windows onscreen simultaneously


This is a fundamental difference and most people are apparently not aware of it.


This might effect the purchasing choices of some people and this information is virtually non existent.


This should be in under the topic called:
Infrequently Asked Questions!


I know there is no such topic but there should be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/20817545


I'm not referring to passive versus active.


Those that only support HDMI 1.4x 3D formats and those that support additional modes that allow scalable 3D and even multiple 3D windows onscreen simultaneously


This is a fundamental difference and most people are apparently not aware of it.


This might effect the purchasing choices of some people and this information is virtually non existent.


This should be in under the topic called:
Infrequently Asked Questions!


I know there is no such topic but there should be.

So how can we determine this for a particular TV?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams /forum/post/20818260


So how can we determine this for a particular TV?

That's the question isn't it!

I spent weeks trying to find out if the new 011 Samsung Plasmas supported it.

I was never sure until I got one in, hooked it up and found out it only supported HDMI 1.4 so I returned it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Side comment: Frank, I would think people would find the sentence in your sig, "full screen only 3d doesn't cut it" very confusing. Im very knowledgeable about 3d, and i don't really think i even get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 /forum/post/20818388


Side comment: Frank, I would think people would find the sentence in your sig, "full screen only 3d doesn't cut it" very confusing. Im very knowledgeable about 3d, and i don't really think i even get it.

One problem with 3D being limited to full screen only is the fact that the optimum viewing of 3D is a combination of the image size and the viewer's distance from it.

I often find that I prefer to reduce the size of the 3D window to make it easier on my eyes.

In fact, most of my 3D viewing is less then full screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/20818287


That's the question isn't it!

I spent weeks trying to find out if the new 011 Samsung Plasmas supported it.

I was never sure until I got one in, hooked it up and found out it only supported HDMI 1.4 so I returned it.

The LED7000+ support it according to the manual: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...ATSCA-1018.pdf


Just has to be 1920x1080 with PC mode over HDMI just like 2010.


The manual doesn't mention Plasma support though which is weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 /forum/post/20818730


The LED7000+ support it according to the manual: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...ATSCA-1018.pdf


Just has to be 1920x1080 with PC mode over HDMI just like 2010.


The manual doesn't mention Plasma support though which is weird.

That's because Samsung, for no known reason dropped support for the additional 3D modes on the new Plasmas. That's why I exchanged my new Samsung PN64D8000 for last years model the PN63C7000 which I love.

It makes a great 3D computer monitor which is primarily what it is.


When I show people 3D for the first time they are always amazed and impressed.
The problem comes when I explain that my demos will not work with many brands of 3D televisions and even I am not sure which ones will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When people ask me for recommendations for what 3D television to buy, I can only tell them to avoid Sony and Panasonic as they only support HDMI 1.4x formats and nothing else.

Keep in mind that this is in response to people who have seen my demonstrations. When I try to explain why my demos only work on some brands they all find it hard to believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/20817545


I'm not referring to passive versus active.


Those that only support HDMI 1.4x 3D formats and those that support additional modes that allow scalable 3D and even multiple 3D windows onscreen simultaneously


This is a fundamental difference and most people are apparently not aware of it.


This might effect the purchasing choices of some people and this information is virtually non existent.


This should be in under the topic called:
Infrequently Asked Questions!


I know there is no such topic but there should be.

Frequently made threads: Frank sings the praises of the checkerboard 3D format.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo /forum/post/20822966


Frequently made threads: Frank sings the praises of the checkerboard 3D format.

The point of my threads is always to present potentially useful information that is not available anywhere else.

I hope it's not a waste of time and even adds a little humor occasionally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 /forum/post/20818388


Side comment: Frank, I would think people would find the sentence in your sig, "full screen only 3d doesn't cut it" very confusing. Im very knowledgeable about 3d, and i don't really think i even get it.

He wants 50 windows open on the screen, while on the treadmill, and running his remote control car while doing back flips and rubbing his stomach while patting his head. All at the same time of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG /forum/post/20823287


He wants 50 windows open on the screen, while on the treadmill, and running his remote control car while doing back flips and rubbing his stomach while patting his head. All at the same time of course.

That's a good one.


Actually I was a pretty good tumbler long ago.



Here is an example of just one of the problems I have with 3DTVs:


I am interested in buying a passive 3DTV and an important consideration is how it works when hooked to a computer.

The primary audio and video source would be my media computer and I like to use programs like Stereo Photo Maker and Stereoscopic Player and prefer to watch YouTube 3D videos in the browser window instead of full screen and only invoke full screen when appropriate. I'll leave out some of the more technical things I do.
How do I determine if a particular model will work and if it works, how it looks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Frank, have you heard that NVIDIA 3D Vision now supports windowed 3D mode for the 120Hz computer monitors? Not sure if that info helps you or not but thought I would point it out in case you didn't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 /forum/post/20826499


Frank, have you heard that NVIDIA 3D Vision now supports windowed 3D mode for the 120Hz computer monitors? Not sure if that info helps you or not but thought I would point it out in case you didn't know.

Thanks. Yeah, I knew about it but it doesn't help my situation. I stopped using 3D vision over a year ago and loaned out both my 120 hertz monitors.

I do wonder whether I might be able to take advantage of it with a 120 hertz 1920 by 1080 3D projector but I don't know of any.


After a year of windowed 3D I can never go back to full screen only 3D.

Just ain't gonna happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsw /forum/post/20838940


The OP mentioned other modes without listing them. What are they?

line interleaved

column interleaved

frame sequential

checkerboard


All Mitsubishi televisions support windowed 3D because their native format is checkerboard.

All passives should but probably don't even though their native format is line interleaved.

All Samsung flat panels support all of the above modes except for the new 2011 plasmas.

I believe the active LG's support checkerboard and possibly others but I'm not sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Hi Frank, i'm sorry but i'm a little confused with this thread. I thought to be full HD 3D, hdmi 1.4 was an absolute necessity, and that it wasn't possible with 1.3 (other modes). If TV's exist that don't follow this blind plan i'd love to know because i have a receiver at home that is 1.3 that i'm not ready to replace yet. i just got it last year, it was not cheap, so i'm not replacing it unless i could get a good price for it. Due to this situation I wasn't going to buy a 3D TV. If you can get full HD 3D on certain TV's using 1.3 i'm all over it! If i'm misunderstanding this thread please someone let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 /forum/post/20861740


Hi Frank, i'm sorry but i'm a little confused with this thread. I thought to be full HD 3D, hdmi 1.4 was an absolute necessity, and that it wasn't possible with 1.3 (other modes). If TV's exist that don't follow this blind plan i'd love to know because i have a receiver at home that is 1.3 that i'm not ready to replace yet. i just got it last year, it was not cheap, so i'm not replacing it unless i could get a good price for it. Due to this situation I wasn't going to buy a 3D TV. If you can get full HD 3D on certain TV's using 1.3 i'm all over it! If i'm misunderstanding this thread please someone let me know.

The meaning of "full HD 3D" is not clear to me and I've been doing 3D for a long time.



To clarify, HDMI 1.4 is an absolute requirement for certain 3D content but not all.

The vast majority of the 3D my friends and family watch works quite well without any need for HDMI 1.4.

However, it requires a computer to make it work.


The other modes I refer to such as interleaved and checkerboard will never replace HDMI 1.4 but can compliment it quite well for certain applications using a computer.


I have a computer on a rack in my office that supplies virtually all of my 3D content and feeds 3D content to most of the rooms of my house and does not require HDMI 1.4 to work.


One of my major gripes with the state of 3D today is that lack of support for viewing 3D in any other way then full screen.


It's a piece of cake using a computer and the additional modes I refer to.

Here is a YouTube video showing just one of the many ways you can take advantage of the additional 3D modes of some 3D televisions.
3D pictures using a 2D camera[/URL]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Thanks for the reply Frank. "full hd 3d" from what i've understood is essentially 2 1080p images for each eye, it also requires active not passive. Other forms of 3D, Passive, "side by side", "top-down" are not full hd 3d. I'm not sure what those mean or if i even have the terms right, i just now they are examples of 3D that are not full HD. I've also read elsewhere that i can get some forms of these through my 1.3 standard, but not all, and not the better ones. Thank you again for clarifying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/20838982


line interleaved

column interleaved

frame sequential

checkerboard


All Mitsubishi televisions support windowed 3D because their native format is checkerboard.

All passives should but probably don't even though their native format is line interleaved.

All Samsung flat panels support all of the above modes except for the new 2011 plasmas.

I believe the active LG's support checkerboard and possibly others but I'm not sure.

Frank,

I can't find my list of the HDMI 1.4 optional resolutions but I believe the 4 resolutions you posted are all optional HDMI 1.4 resolutions for displays/TV's which is why very few TV's support them.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top