1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The small connector is likely a sub-d Japanese component connector identical to the one you find for example on the Japanese HM-DH30000 D-VHS HDTV recorder.

------------------

Robert

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don't think it is a big diff...while the american one has an entire row of RCA jacks that the Japanese version is missing, yet the Japanese version has some type of VGA type connector instead..prolly the same thing..

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is a quick translation of the workds near each input:

Input 1 : D4 connection

Input 2: Commponent/RGB

Input 3: S Video

Input 4: Video

input5: Conputer -RGB

Then also the other three you can see on the right side of the picture

RS-232C

DC12V output (bit hard with the small characters but looks like 'maximum voltage 200ma7

Wireless Remote

Hope that helps

Cheers

Adam

PS anyone know what the D4 satnds for in output 1 ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The D connector is a lot like the HD15 connector in that it gives you a high bandwidth component color signal in one connector. I currently have my HDTV set top box, the Sharp TU-HD1 BS (Broadcast Satellite) tuner connected to my Toshiba 36 inch 16:9, 720p capable direct view TV with a cable that has D connectors on both ends. I believe whether the connector is labeled D1, D2, D3, D4 or D5 really depends on what signals the device can handle. My understanding is that D1 is 480i capable, D2 is 480i and 480p capable, D3 is 480i, 480p and 1080i capable, D4 is 480i, 480p, 1080i and 720p capable and that D5 (if such displays ever appear) is 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p and 1080p capable.

I know it is a component signal (Ypbpr or similar and NOT RGBHV) because I have used a breakout cable with a D connector on one end to 3 RCA plugs on the other end to tape the signal from the Sharp STB to a Japanese WVHS recorder with component inputs.

Milton Henry

·
Registered
223 Posts
I believe that is what they call DVI connector. Digital video standard cable.

How about the HDTV in TYO ?

Is it worth it ?

Rgds,

Cedric

------------------

System:

Pentium 2 - 450 Mhz

GeForce 256 DDR

Soundcard Leadtek Winfast 6XSound

DVD Pioneer 116

Denon AV Amplifier AVC-A1 (5 x 170 W)

B&W 601S2 speakers x 5 + Yamaha Sub 160

Sony VPL-VW10HT Projector (16:9 Native)

Powerstrip 1184 x 666 at 60Hz

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cedric

That connector is definitely a D connector; I have been searching the cable and wire shops in Akihabara trying to find someone selling just the connector so that I could try Mr. Wiggles trick of using shielded CAT-5 wire to connect my Sharp STB to my DILA projector.

I don't speak much Japanese so I can't comment on anything other than the picture quality of most of the Japanese HDTV channels. Quite a lot of the true HDTV they broadcast looks stunning but there is far too much of the bandwidth wasted by broadcasting SDTV (I guess they have some of the same issues as US programmers i.e. not enough content originated in HDTV because of the equipment's expense relative to SDTV equipment). Wowow has a subscription HDTV channel that is OK for getting some of the big hit movies in HDTV (frequently in English) a few months after they haved debuted on HBO or Showtime in the US but they too waste bandwidth for much of the day by showing 2 or 3 SDTV channels instead of one HDTV channel. I am most disappointed in Wowow because I expected their HDTV channel to be mostly HDTV; I get better SDTV by renting or buying DVDs and playing them back with my HTPC.

The Seattle Mariners games in HDTV are beautiful and there some shows with really cute women as coanchors plus there was a beach volleyball match with two women teams that was quite "appealing". I am hoping that the HDTV channels here will make deals with people like HDNet etc. to carry some of the US content; I was hoping one of the channels would make a deal with CBS to carry the US Open semifinals and finals in HDTV but alas it was only on in SDTV. One of the channels just showed two football games from the first week of the NFL so I don't see why they can't fill their HDTV schedule with real HDTV even if it is from the US. From what I read in the HDTV programmaing forums it wouldn't hurt Showtime to pick up some of the Japanese content instead of using so many upconverts.

Milton Henry

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Cedric, we have talked before - Hi Milton - nice to see another enthusiast here in Tokyo (although I guess that I am actually the new guy on the Tokyo block in this forum).

I think that the Sharp looks like the business..... I wish I could just see the selecos here in Tokyo but the sim2 site gave me the name of a small shop in Aoyama which only has an old HT200. i usually shop at AVAC because I trust them if anything should go wrong.

I was at the new 'bic Kamera' near Yurakucho today - not really cheap like I had expected.

Sorry for getting of the track

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jeffy

Where do you get your information from? That connector has nothing to do with DVI or DFP and it is not digital. It is a D connector.

Milton

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kalahaan:
I believe that is what they call DVI connector. Digital video standard cable.

Not quite, it is digital but it's called DFP, you can get a converter so that you can use the DVI out from a video card.

I see this as an advantage over the US and Euro models.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.