AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched about this problem and have not found anything. When I'm watching or playing games the only option I have is the HD size1 option.The HD size2 option is grayed out and I cant select it. I would like to play with the HD size2 option as it is not zoomed in. I'm playing in Full format at 720p with component cables. I don't know if that is the problem but I'm picking up an HDMI cable and am going to be using 1080p. I don't know if that will fix the issue or not. Any help or insight would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
If I remember correctly the HD sizes only work with the internal Panny Tuner or the HDMI Inputs. Maybe someone else will answer & set us straight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/15515946


If I remember correctly the HD sizes only work with the internal Panny Tuner or the HDMI Inputs. Maybe someone else will answer & set us straight.

You are correct Bill
HD Size function is only available with HDMI and the TV's internal tuner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont understand. I understand the HDMI part and since i'm using component cables i'm guessing all I would need to do is buy an HDMI cable and this problem would be gone right? I dont understand what the issue with the tuner is. I'm just using my t.v. right now for my ps3 and xbox 360.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
What don't you understand?


If you hook anything to an HDMI Input the HD Sizes can be selected.


if you use an OTA, Your Own Antenna Not The Cable Companies or SAT Companies, & use the Tuner that is built into the tv to receive the tv channels then the HD Sizes can also be selected.


EXAMPLE

BY SELECTING ANY OF THESE THE HD SIZE CAN BE ADJUSTED:


Press The TV/Video Button

Input Menu Appears

Select TV (Internal TV Tuner's)

Select HDMI 1 (Rear Input)

Select HDMI 2 (Rear Input)

Select HDMI 3 (Front Input)


If you select any other ITEM the HD Size CAN NOT BE ADJUSTED.


So if you use an HDMI Cable for your Game System you will be able to adjust the picture size.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCraftyVeteranx /forum/post/15516214


I've searched about this problem and have not found anything. When I'm watching or playing games the only option I have is the HD size1 option.The HD size2 option is grayed out and I cant select it. I would like to play with the HD size2 option as it is not zoomed in. I'm playing in Full format at 720p with component cables. I don't know if that is the problem but I'm picking up an HDMI cable and am going to be using 1080p. I don't know if that will fix the issue or not. Any help or insight would be great.


I dont understand. I understand the HDMI part and since i'm using component cables i'm guessing all I would need to do is buy an HDMI cable and this problem would be gone right? I dont understand what the issue with the tuner is. I'm just using my t.v. right now for my ps3 and xbox 360.

Simply put, the HD Size setting is not available if the TV is getting a 720p signal regardless of the source. If you tune the TV's tuner to a 720p station (like ABC or FOX) the HD Size setting becomes unavailable.


And since you're sending a 720p signal to the TV from your game console then that is why you can't access the HD Size setting. [edited out my error] Also, if you send a 720p signal to the TV over HDMI the HD Size setting is not available - so if you use HDMI for a game console or DVD player or any other HD STB, it has to be set to output 1080i at least.


The TV has to be getting a 1080i signal in order for the HD Size setting to become available. This 1080i signal can be through the HDMI input or on a 1080i channel through the TV's internal tuner, but in either case the signal has to be 1080i. I'm also virtually positive that the HD Size setting is also available on a 1080p signal although i haven't tried it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
You can't get HD size 2 with 720p input, its only selectable with a 1080i or 1080p format input. For all other formats, it forces size 1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
It depends on if the tv is receiving a 1080 signal. This can be from either component or HDMI.


I have my comcast box hooked up through component and I can select HD Size 1 or 2 as long as I have it outputting 1080i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15518881


Simply put, the HD Size setting is not available if the TV is getting a 720p signal regardless of the source. If you tune the TV's tuner to a 720p station (like ABC or FOX) the HD Size setting becomes unavailable.


And since you're sending a 720p signal to the TV from your game console then that is why you can't access the HD Size setting. And even if your game console or any other STB can be set to output 1080i, the TV will not accept a 1080i signal through it's Component inputs. Also, if you send a 720p signal to the TV over HDMI the HD Size setting is not available - so if you use HDMI for a game console or DVD player or any other HD STB, it has to be set to output 1080i at least.


The TV has to be getting a 1080i signal in order for the HD Size setting to become available. This 1080i signal can be through the HDMI input or on a 1080i channel through the TV's internal tuner, but in either case the signal has to be 1080i. I'm also virtually positive that the HD Size setting is also available on a 1080p signal although i haven't tried it.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but the tv can accept 1080 through component.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil6784 /forum/post/15520983


I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but the tv can accept 1080 through component.

OOPs, i forgot that the TV will accept 1080i over Component (i've known this for years) and my brain musta got off track while i was typing
I've edited the error out of my post. I was thinking about how the TV cannot accept 1080p over Component and got mixed up.


So the remaining question is - is the HD Size setting available when sending the TV a 1080i signal over Component? I'm not using any 1080i devices over Component so i can't check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15521137


OOPs, i forgot that the TV will accept 1080i over Component (i've known this for years) and my brain musta got off track while i was typing
I've edited the error out of my post. I was thinking about how the TV cannot accept 1080p over Component and got mixed up.


So the remaining question is - is the HD Size setting available when sending the TV a 1080i signal over Component? I'm not using any 1080i devices over Component so i can't check.

That's ok... it's late so I guess we can forgive you.



Yes, the HD size setting is available when you send the tv a 1080i signal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil6784 /forum/post/15521183


Yes, the HD size setting is available when you send the tv a 1080i signal.

But is HD Size available when you're doing so over Component instead of HDMI? I presume it does, but someone else will have to check it and confirm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Yes, the option is available even on component.


Like I said above, my comcast cable box is hooked up through component and outputting 1080i. I can select HD size 1 or 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15521914


But is HD Size available when you're doing so over Component instead of HDMI? I presume it does, but someone else will have to check it and confirm.

Yes HD Size 2 is selectable with 1080i input on component, I use that with my SA8300HD cable DVR.

It of course also works with HDMI on 1080i or 1080p, the latter I use with a Blu-Ray player.

Also it works with 1080i HD channels on the internal tuner.


So all thats required for HD size 2 to be a selectable option is a 1080i or 1080p source (which the internal tuner, component, or HDMI can provide)

For other formats (480i,480p,720p) it forces HDsize 1 (about 5% overscan)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top