AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone has some experience with this case.

I want to use two 60mm to 80mm fan adapter on the exhaust fan locations in this case. Do you think there is enough space between these two fans to accommodate this type of adapter?

Another concern is I'm planning on using the Scythe mini ninja passive for the CPU cooler and I am not sure if these adapters will stick too far into the case ?

Picture of the fan adapter:

Picture of the exhaust fans:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking about it some more and doing some math I could just get one 60mm to 80mm adapter and just leave the other one empty. A single 80mm fan will move the same amount of air as two 60mm fans will.

If I use the fan located nearest the expansion slots it should be far enough over to avoid most of the cpu area.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have a similar Thermaltake case (same dimensions) and this is an interesting idea, but I don't have a 60 to 80 mm adapter to test. Here is my concern. This will push the fans at least an additional 1" over the motherboard and I fear you will have clearence issues with components on the MB or the CPU cooler. I suggest doing what I did and getting the SilenX 60mm fans I did to make it quiet. Check my previous posts for the model number.

Nice case by the way.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
As well as extending out over the mobo it will also encroach 10 - 15 mm on the pcie card (first slot). Really it will encroach 10 -15 mm in all directions, up down left and right towards the pcie slot. Why not just run 2 x 60 mm as designed. 2x60 mm will move as much air or maybe more than 1 x80 with that adapter.

BB

Edit If you already have the gear, you might consider mounting the adapter and fan outside of the case. It's at the back so you will never see it and if your shelf/media enclosure is deep enough .......

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/17005103

As well as extending out it will also encroach 10 - 15 mm on the pcie card (first slot). Why not just run 2 x 60 mm as designed. 2x 0 will move as much air or maybe more than 1 x80 with that adapter.

BB

I'm going to be using a Gigabyte using the 785G chipset in micro ATX format and all their boards have the PCI-e x16 slot second from the top. I don't plan on using the PCI-e x1 slot.

The reason I would rather use 80mm fan then a 60mm fan is because it's hard to find quiet 60mm fans and also push a lot of air. As I said above, a single 80mm fan can push the same amount of air as two 60mm fans together and be a lot quieter doing it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
xg

see my edit above

BB

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a similar thermal take case and It has the same layout as you. Between my cpu cooler, my video card cooler exhaust and my power supply fan exhaust I didn't need those two fans running. As far as I can remember, I unplugged those loud little bastards and haven't looked back.

BUT, here is another option. Get some damping material. Damplifier pro, Dynamat, or even modelling clay and wrap it around the 60 mm fans. This should help with the noise.

But to answer your question, no, I do not think you will have enough room to do want you propose.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The stock fans that come with the case are loud no matter what, replace them.

I've checked and the fan nearest the Power Supply could almost fit a 80mm fan with an adapter, but the bracket above it won't allow it without modding it. Probably not worth it.

You can't put the adapters on the back outside as the ledge above the vent won't allow it.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I have a Thermaltake Mozart and yep, the rear 60mm fans are LOUD.

I soldered resistors in line to take the whine out of them. I can't remember the exact value offhand, but they would have been in the 50-100ohm range.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've used these before on another case thinking it would help the noise situation. Just a warning, it doesn't much. While it will likely be less noisy than a cheap 60mm, a good 80mm on these things is still pretty loud. Think about how a jet engine compresses air and you'll get a pretty good idea of what these things do sound wise.

May just want to look into better 60mm options such as the Acousti Dustproof 60mms which have a lower test dB rating than most 80mm fans.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC /forum/post/17016778

Look like interesting fans, but at $24 for a 60mm, that's too much for me to be interested.

You could go with Scythe Mini-Kaze 60mm fans. They are measured to be a little louder (by about 5 dB at max speed) and you can pick those up for around $8 a piece and that still puts them about as loud as the better 80mm fans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.