AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doubt everyone here has seen the truelly LAVISH HTs in magazines like AUDIO VIDEO INTERIORS and HOME THEATER INTERIORS while it existed. I doubt anyone on these boards show pics of any. I have seen some on another HT site. Well I got to thinking if the people who own these HTs, having spent thousands of times more money then a lifetime of going to a cinema, still want to go to multipexes? I should think NOT in the majority of cases. Even with the set ups like many of you have, I would think a multiplex or drive in would'nt be that much of a draw to you. It's like model railroads, etc. Even if I have one, I want to see ones others have but as far as going to a multiplex, I prefer my own set up. To see new movies is NOT the attaction unless I can't wait a few months for the DVDs. If you have a dedicated HT, you probably don't need pay TV channels either unless you don't buy DVDs. Os

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
Well, as you know many of the theaters in AVI are very expensive but interestingly many times the equipment is not as impressive as the look of the rooms. Anyway, I go less and less to the theater , perhaps a few times a year but I watch movies at home essentially every weekend. Till recently the commercial theaters had obvious advantages in resolution over my scaled DVDs but now that there is a little more HD even that advantage has narrowed to the point that my theater looks better and sounds better than any local multiplex. If I really want to see a film when it first comes out( not often) then I go but otherwise no.

I have enjoyed some of the IMAX presentations of feature films such as Star Wars EP II and The Matrix Reloaded but that is a different thing all together.

Art

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Art, as far as I've seen here, your's is one of the only fancier ones but have you seen any of the magazine SINFULLY LAVISH rooms? To date I've seen none here but your's is nothing to sneeze at. Mine is just a ratty set up compared to yours and others here. I can never afford those high falootin chairs you use that I think are the kind in the magazines. Granted for the past couple years, not many super lavish HTs have been seen in the magazines save for some in that newer title magazine by Robb Report I guess it is. Regretibly, I missed most of AV Interior's 10 years (?) of issues. I like some of the midrange fancy rooms but the multi purpose rooms bore me as do the Santa Fe style ones. Too steril for me. I've never even seen a REAL greco-roman movie palace in a book for guidence on mine but I'd think they'd existed. I don't know why but these days, I just find it hard to get to a multiplex (or drive in) and it does'nt help that I dislike the first 20 minutes stuff they show. LOTR movies are the ones I went to. Os

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's pics in a couple of my magazines of HT equipment stacks.....one had 10, another 20 different units!! I'd think all those would be a waste of money. Most are just for the sound alone. Maybe I'd think they have better sound than mine BUT I heard it's mostly for extreme power volume. Os

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I swear, one HT in a magazine had close to 25 or 30 different pieces of equipment NOT counting speakers or the projector all in the rack! Just how many signal cleaners and amplifyers does a guy need? I don't know what all the stuff was but I suppose it included two DVD players and a super VHS deck. I get by with ONE dvd player and ONE vhs deck and the reciever....that won't pick up every FM station and the AM reception is'nt that great. That's what a $1400 reciever got me. Os

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
Since sources could include, sat, over the air ,DVD and DVHS for video and thats about it and perhaps add in a SACD player. After that you need, as you say, a line conditioner and then a receiver and preamps and amps for every channel it can add up. I personally don't have all of these but at least I can see 20 something components. If you have the dough I'm assuming that these all have a contribution in versatility, variety and quality to varying degrees.

Art

·
Registered
657 Posts
Oftentimes some of the equipment that you see in those racks of 20-25 pieces of equipment are for whole house ditribution - not just for the theater.

Hey, it's my 500th post!

·
Registered
484 Posts
For me, the home theater is a matter of the 3 C's: convenience, cost, and cool.

With having kids, I find that getting out to see the latest movie in a multiplex, which I would enjoy, is extremely difficult and requires more planning than Operation Desert Storm to execute. Also, by the time we get a chance to get out, the movie we wanted to see has already left.

Also, I love to pop downstairs and check out a scene from my favorite movies before heading to work or whenever I have free time.

This also holds true for the Disney movies the kids will want to see 20 billion times in a row, lets just head downstairs to the theater.

Cost wise, there are certain movies I'd like to see but not enough to pay for theater tickets. And waiting for a so-so movie in rental and having 4 people over to watch it is much less cost than all of us in the multiplex, even if I do overcharge for popcorn :).

Most important is cool. Nothing is better than having a cool room to share with your family and friends and as a great escape from whatever ails you. I can head down to my theater/sensory depravation center, and whereever I want to be taken away to is just a couple buttons away - sort of a Virtual Vacation from Total Recall if you will. And I think in several years when the kids want to start having movie parties and such, the "cool" factor will really kick in. I remember movie parties from my day, and there were no dedicated theaters with surround sound, etc.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
My public-viewing is less than 10% of what it was 2.5 years ago. I've seen 3-4 films so far this year in the public houses, and that's down from 70/year some 3 years ago.

And my theater isn't even finished yet!

·
Registered
27,307 Posts
Hmmm...Well, my theater meets all of my expectations and might possibly be elidgeable for AVI.....

That said, I enjoy going to the theaters for big blockbusters. I can't help it, I love good movies. Karen and I travel to film festivals each year and really enjoy seeing first run films. No, the sound and picture aren't as good as at home but........

With 'Return of the King' coming in December, there is no way I could wait for the final DVD release in 2004. 'Pirates of the Carribean' was also a treat. We took the kids and we all enjoyed it. The movie experience is more about audio and video, with the family we usually make a night out of it. You know, dinner, movie, and maybe ice cream afterwards. It is an event all to itself, just like walking into the nice HT with our popcorn and candy. Simiilar but different and each has it's own advantages.

We go to the cineplex, 4-6 times per year. For me, that is about all Hollywood is capable of in terms of worth while films that I can't wait to see.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
My theater isn't exactly eligible for AVI (by a long shot!), but I haven't been out to a movie theater this year at all.

My wife and I received 4 gift passes to the local multiplex for Christmas in 2002 and we have yet to ues them. We'd both much rather stay home and watch something in our theater then head out and deal with the crowds, etc.

Gotta find a movie to go see just so we can use up the passes before they expire!

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I agree with Jeff. Going to the theater is really an event. You set yourself up for it. Beside I have not seen any display device to do what film projection does. Please no flame here. I can't even understand why some say they get close or even better picture quality. Cost wise they are the same given one catches a show during early hours.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Atlanta is culturally inept when talking about film festivals. Aside from the Coca-Cola Film Series at the Fox, I haven't heard of anything else. And what few instances I'm been caught in a public theater has been unwilling and because of the wife (remember, for better or worse).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thebland, Is your's mostly a cineplex looking room? Looks great. STEPPED FLOOR and rows of seats!! Some guys have it all. Os

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NEW PICS on pages 2,3 and 4 of my HT site. WARNING: What you see on my site you may find BIZZARE, VULGAR or just plain STUPID! http://community-2.webtv.net/moviepa...Crestmonthome/ I figured I may as well post it here as a new thread on it may be a waste of time. If I ever had room or enough people come to my HT (not gonna happen), the ONE kind of popcorn machine I'd have is one of those old time kind that Disneyland, etc used to have....a WAGON with a vendor and a little clown figure supposedly worked this crank on it. Os

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only movies other than LOTR that tempted me to see at a multiplex were FREDDY VS. JASON and PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN. I'd waited to see the monster one for 5 years at least as talk of a crossover goes back that far or longer. Still, I did'nt go to either. Not having the energy of my youth may explain half of it. Os

·
Registered
111 Posts
Excellent topic. I love my theater and find the sound quality much better. Picture's damn good as well. But there's nothing like the electricity of a premiere. And to create that electricity you need a crowd.

I first got hooked in 9th grade when I went to see Star Wars. The anticipation was electric. Even standing in line for 2 hours helped build the excitement. After the movie I was in awe.

Ever since I've tried to relive that excitement. I've search for premieres that might live up to that original experience. I came close with movies like Star Trek: The Motion Picture and a few others. But, I finally found it a couple years back at the premiere of Harry Potter.

Sure there were lots of kids but it was the same electricity that I felt 25 years earlier. The anticipation was great, right down to the audience chanting "Harry Potter, Harry Potter". It was great and I'm glad I got to relive that one more time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My area multiplexes have never had actual 'premiers'for anything. Nor did the former movie palace while it existed. NO costumed people in line either. That's all big city stuff where you must live. Os

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.