AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the title says, is it worth it? i dont want it to be a gimmick, i have the kinect which is cool, will the move be a good addition or its boring?

what games are must haves?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I like it a lot but I'm more of a casual gamer than most that post here. Sports Champions is great. I've enjoyed the Shoot, and Start the Party is a lot of fun with my kids. I'd recommend giving it a try.

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
A lot of our impressions of Move compatible games have been posted in this thread . Also, individual games like Sports Champions have plenty of impressions as well specific to the title.

"Gimmick" is subjective. Overall, it does what well what it is supposed to do. You get extremely accurate control in FPS/TPS titles, and casual waggle games can be pretty cool with your family or friends if they are interested in them. Sports Champions and SOCOM 4 are my favorite titles with the Move. My wife and oldest daughter really like exercise/dance stuff like Zumba Fitness.

If someone wanted to go bare bones, at Amazon the PSEye is $25 and the Move is $38. So for $63 (barely more than a new game release), you'd have everything you needed for motion controls - it's definitely worth that to answer the original question. Then you can pick up any title you wanted. There are plenty of bundles always offered, but the original is still best IMHO: PSEye+Move+Sports Champions for $90.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It's not really worth it. I bought it with socom 4 and while it was a novel experience and fun to lay in a corner and shoot people, it just wasn't very useful to me past that. Sports Champions is a fun game, but other than those two I haven't played any other game with the Move that I enjoyed.

Oh, and No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise sucks. Got it from gamefly a couple of days ago and it was not fun at all and using the move was pointless.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have it, never use it.

I also have the gun that goes with it for kz3,s4,and resistance 3. I never use it. Although I have a projector setup and I have to put the move camera on the ground and stand to the side so I don't get in light path of the projector. It is definitely a new twists on fps and a step in right direction but your arms will get tired but you can be very precise with your aiming that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The Move is fun for _party_ games like frisbee golf and bochee ball.

For solo games, I wouldnt worry about it.

Maybe wait until a good game like the House of the Dead sequel comes out.

You can get Move stuff cheap if you look hard.

Last week, amazon had a complete setup for $50 including a golf game.

And I picked up a couple move games at Target for $5.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
To me it still feels like a gimmick. The aiming is less precise than old-school light guns for rail shooters, and all too often the motion control for other games is based on gestures rather than 1:1 motion. I tried a few games with it and now I hardly ever touch the thing. Unless you're a Wii fanatic, you can probably safely pass on the Move.

- Jer

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I have no regrets picking up the Move bundle two months ago for $50. Sports Champions has been great, and I'm looking forward to the Move DLC for LittleBigPlanet 2 that will release next month. I'm also hopeful for Move Fitness this fall, though I just traded in Get Fit with Mel B because I couldn't get many of the exercises to register consistently.

However, this weekend I spent over ten quality hours sitting on my ass in a recliner playing Assassins Creed Brotherhood. I can't imagine having prolonged gaming experiences like that lasting more than hour, especially late at night, either standing or sitting with my arms held out aiming a motion controller.

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
If aiming in a game doesn't feel lightgun-speed, it's mostly due to lag in modern HDTVs (which often add 2 - 6 frames per second of lag) and/or the game itself. The Move's response time is just a half of one frame slower than the DualShock 3.

But despite that, it is eons more precise than aiming with a DS3. That's the main benefit it offers in "core" genres like shooters. However, there is a learning curve when it comes to turning your character, which some may not care for as pointed above.

Having played many input schemes, I'd have this ranking when it comes to aiming cursors with speed and precision in games (assume auto-targeting aids are turned off):

Lightgun>>mouse>>>>Move>>>>>>>>>gamepad

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
My biggest issue with using the move in shooters was definitely moving my character.

But the other large annoyance I had was that it's not like a lightgun where it is always going to shoot where you are pointing. It's more like dragging a cursor around. And It always seemed to be off by 1-2 inches when near the edges of the screen so you had to point further off the screen to hit the edge of the screen. For this reason they could never make a shooter without a reticule onscreen like the old light gun games.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/20877832

like the title says, is it worth it? i dont want it to be a gimmick, i have the kinect which is cool, will the move be a good addition or its boring?

what games are must haves?

I have it and never use it. I've tried it with shooters, but it just can't match a traditional controller in terms of response and ease (joeblow, who posted above, is about the only one I've seen so positive about the tech as it's used in shooters). Sports Champions is fine, but if you've already spent time with the Wii, Sports Champions probably won't do much for you.

Ultimately: without the games to support it, it's simply not worth the price. I am, however, excited to try Child of Eden and House of the Dead: Overkill using Move. But the one seems like a better experience on Kinect (which you already have) and the other is already available on the Wii. And that seems to be the path that the Move is treading: it's not as novel as Kinect when it comes to new IP, and it's just following closely in the Wii's footsteps for HD updates to Wii games. It may be the more responsive of the three technologies, but there's just no software to back it up. And with the Wii's sales dwindling and a new Nintendo console on the horizon, the Move is no longer in a position to be the "HD Wii." That ship has sailed.

EDIT: IMO, the Wii style motion controls just aren't appealing to publishers or developers. Many developers already tried (and failed) to come up with new gaming ideas on the Wii. Those games sold like junk, so no publisher is willing to take that risk again. As a consequence, most casual games developers have already migrated to mobile and social gaming. Kinect is inspiring some (but not many) developers with new ideas. But, honestly, I think this whole motion control thing on consoles has petered out (on the development side, at least) when faced with the growing tide of touch gaming on mobile platforms. There's a reason Nintendo's jumping ship for its touch-based WiiU.

Sony's Move is simply too little too late.

·
Registered
12,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 /forum/post/20880773

But the other large annoyance I had was that it's not like a lightgun where it is always going to shoot where you are pointing. It's more like dragging a cursor around. And It always seemed to be off by 1-2 inches when near the edges of the screen so you had to point further off the screen to hit the edge of the screen. For this reason they could never make a shooter without a reticule onscreen like the old light gun games.

I know exactly what you are referring to, and that's a calibration issue, not an issue with the Move tech itself. When properly calibrated, this issue largely disappears unless the game has restrictions on freedom of movement.

The key is for your PSEye to be centered over or under your display, facing forward instead of at an angle. After that, you have to turn off the magnometer in your Move controller via the XMB menu since the Earth's magnetic field is what is causing the cursor to drift out of synch with it on.

No game uses that feature so keep it off, then reset your Move with a paper clip by poking the small hole at the bottom of the controller. This only needs to be done once.

While it will never reach lightgun perfection (even mouse control can't do that), it is still far better than analog stick aiming.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thanks guys, now I'm totally torn on whether to get the Doomsday edition of R3 or just the regular edition. I could do without the move, and it does add like $90 to the package. Ahh, hell, I'll just see for myself I guess. I'll try that calibration trick though. I'm more looking forward to seeing how the 3D works.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Don't think of Move as a motion device, think of it as an alternate controller. It serves many more game genres and is often optional, which is a strength IMO.

There are tons of Move compatible games, you don't have to try/buy/rent them all, just stick to the good ones. From exercise with Sport Champions and The Fight, to KZ3/R3 pointer support, Socom 4 TPS, Dead Space Extraction and The Shoot light-gun action. EyePet and Start the Party for the kids and more.

Is it worth $100? That depends on your disposable income. You have a Kinect, so it seems you don't mind wasting money

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/20882384

Don't think of Move as a motion device, think of it as an alternate controller. It serves many more game genres and is often optional, which is a strength IMO.

There are tons of Move compatible games, you don't have to try/buy/rent them all, just stick to the good ones. From exercise with Sport Champions and The Fight, to KZ3/R3 pointer support, Socom 4 TPS, Dead Space Extraction and The Shoot light-gun action. EyePet and Start the Party for the kids and more.

Is it worth $100? That depends on your disposable income. You have a Kinect, so it seems you don't mind wasting money

I heared really bad reviews on The Fight, is it a good game? are the controls responsive?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/20882754

I heared really bad reviews on The Fight, is it a good game? are the controls responsive?

The mainstream missed the mark, go read the user reviews, check Amazon.

·
Registered
764 Posts
to me it was a silly attempt to gain part of a market that they had made fun of for years.....not long for the shelves i think...just what i think though..we have the wii(again) and its really for kids games as far as im concerned and ps3 doesnt and wont have the same library for that demographic

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
A rather ignorant claim. There are quite a few core releases (i.e. non-kiddie) that not only use the Move, but aim better than the standard pad as a result. KZ3, SOCOM 4, Resident Evil 5, the Dead Space shooter, House of the Dead Overkill, a few racing games, a couple of RTS games, a flight sim here and there just to name a few... it's about an even split between the number of family titles and gamer titles that use the motion glow wand.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.