AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have CB III with extreme and superior and standard dac

I am thinking of adding second hand superior II DAC so i can take the upgrade. Anyone know how to reconfig dac's.

Can it be done once the new DAC is installed?

Can it be done to reconfig existing DAC channels?

If so what is the process and I am happy to do it myself unless it is a dealer or theta only thing.

THanks Rick

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd /forum/post/19578817

I have CB III with extreme and superior and standard dac

I am thinking of adding second hand superior II DAC so i can take the upgrade. Anyone know how to reconfig dac's.

Can it be done once the new DAC is installed?

Can it be done to reconfig existing DAC channels?

If so what is the process and I am happy to do it myself unless it is a dealer or theta only thing.

THanks Rick

It is extremely simple and a DIY job. If you PM me I can send you a document explaining how to do it.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Woops. Recently someone posted something on the forum which indicated that Premium and Extreme DACs would work with the HDMI upgrade (should it actually become available). The Superior II was left out of that. So you better doublecheck with Theta or a Theta dealer who knows the latest (if there is one)!

·
Premium Member
7,233 Posts
Superior 1 dac WILL NOT work with the HDMI upgrade. Superior 2 will as well as Extreme and Premium. Superior 1 dac is a 20 bit dac and can not handle 24/96.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger
Superior 1 dac WILL NOT work with the HDMI upgrade. Superior 2 will as well as Extreme and Premium. Superior 1 dac is a 20 bit dac and can not handle 24/96.
Thats what I thought, too. But I swear (Mickey Mouse style) that I saw a post otherwise!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger /forum/post/19579806

I certainly hope so. I sold one of my Xtreme cards and bought back a superior II just to keep the unit HDMI compliant.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/19580500

Thats what I thought, too. But I swear (Mickey Mouse style) that I saw a post otherwise!

Just so's you know's, you are not completely nutz Steve. I saw that post too and was very surprised that everybody and their bigbrother did not jump all over that statement.

If it's true, there will be alot of very unhappy campers in these here parts.

Better make that extremely PO'd and very, very unhappy campers!

It may have been posted in that Theta GenVIII D/A discussion not too long ago, a month or two tops.

I thought to myself at the time that whoever was reading that thread either

a). was gonna stick with the six-shooter approach or

b). already had their Xstream cards,

cause what I thought was an important point, was just touched on and let go as if nobody cared much.

For the most part, I fall into b) so for a fleeting moment I thought to myself, I am even cool with this new wrinkle but...well, there goes the rest of the value of my other older, spare Casablanca.

Now that the pots been stirred again, maybe someone who has a vested interest will bother to get to the bottom of this conflicting info.

A current word on the beta trials progress couldn't hurt either, I think!

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Only the Extreme and Superior will work and then those cards had to manufactured after a certain date, In other words they have to be a second generation, not a first. If you give me the serial numbers on the DAC cards, I can check for you or you can call Theta and ask.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/19585303

Only the Extreme and Superior will work and then those cards had to manufactured after a certain date, In other words they have to be a second generation, not a first. If you give me the serial numbers on the DAC cards, I can check for you or you can call Theta and ask.

Isn't it the case that all Xtreme's, Premiums and Superior II's will work?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Good lord I read Marks post wrong and confused the issue!!

According to Allens post, the Superior II DACs were left out of his e-mail from Theta

"Finally the Email from Theta I got says only two internal DAC's will work they are the PREMIUM 4 channel balanced DAC @ $1875 retail and the EXTREME 4 channel balanced DAC @ $4995"

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I will check with them tomorrow. Iys late and I am getting confused. Omly two of the DACs will work, the Extreme and one of the other two but now I don`t remember. Sorry, But the two that works both have to be of a certain vintage.

·
Premium Member
7,233 Posts
This is paranoia. AGAIN. Of course the Superior 2 will work. It has the exact same motorola chip and TI 1704 dac. The Xtreme uses or at least did use, a higher grade of the Dac, k grade and has a better analog volume control than the Superior 2. Those are the major difference. Here from the website"Q: Is the Casablanca III compatible with HDMI?

A1: The Theta Digital's product development team are hard at work on several projects, including an HDMI 1.3 audio and video solution exclusively for the Casablanca III, for use with the Premium, the Superior II and the Xtreme D-2 DAC cards. (The discontinued Standard and Superior I DAC cards are not compatible with HDMI audio.) The final pricing has not been determined, but the product development team is estimating it will be around $4,000 USD to $5,000.00 USD to install the HDMI 1.3 audio and video solution in a Casablanca III. This option will likely become available Autumn of 2010. Once installed, it will allow the Casablanca III to access and process the latest HD audio codecs from Dolby Labs and DTS. The video portion will be pass-through, to allow folks to use the HDMI video processor / scaler / transcoder / upconverter of their choice."

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger /forum/post/19586838

This is paranoia. AGAIN. Of course the Superior 2 will work. It has the exact same motorola chip and TI 1704 dac. The Xtreme uses or at least did use, a higher grade of the Dac, k grade and has a better analog volume control than the Superior 2. Those are the major difference. Here from the website"Q: Is the Casablanca III compatible with HDMI?

A1: The Theta Digital's product development team are hard at work on several projects, including an HDMI 1.3 audio and video solution exclusively for the Casablanca III, for use with the Premium, the Superior II and the Xtreme D-2 DAC cards. (The discontinued Standard and Superior I DAC cards are not compatible with HDMI audio.) The final pricing has not been determined, but the product development team is estimating it will be around $4,000 USD to $5,000.00 USD to install the HDMI 1.3 audio and video solution in a Casablanca III. This option will likely become available Autumn of 2010. Once installed, it will allow the Casablanca III to access and process the latest HD audio codecs from Dolby Labs and DTS. The video portion will be pass-through, to allow folks to use the HDMI video processor / scaler / transcoder / upconverter of their choice."

I got a little worried and checked the Theta site. You preempted me in posting this (I found the same statement in a press release). This indeed appears to be a case of unfounded cyber rumors.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 /forum/post/19585446

It was Allen F's post with this info. on Oct. 11th, in the open one day closed the next Theta thread that Mark is now confirming.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19319275

Following is what Alan's post stated:

"Finally the Email from Theta I got says only two internal DAC's will work they are the PREMIUM 4 channel balanced DAC @ $1875 retail and the EXTREME 4 channel balanced DAC @ $4995

The Superior II DAC according to their Email is left out so as of now it seems it will not work. This should be verified BEFORE one spends any $$$ on a used CBII or CBIII and or Changes DAC cards. Also the Casablanca MUST be fully updated to a CBIII first this will cost $4470 MSRP going from a lower CB to CBIII."

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
If Alan indeed received the above email from Theta, then there should be concern, assuming the upgrade comes available.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/19587011

If Alan indeed received the above email from Theta, then there should be concern, assuming the upgrade comes available.

If indeed true this would take the meaning of a clueless f^&*#% up company to a whole new level. I personally would have gotten screwed for "just" $1,000 buying the wrong card used based on then current official Theta information. They were/are shipping these now alledgedly incompatible cards until this very day - the Superior II is an their current product list.

Imagine have bought a Superior II card new for $3K a year or two ago..... Even if this turns out to be just a misunderstanding, the fact that that own dealers don't know and send out conflicting information speaks volumes.

·
Premium Member
7,233 Posts
You guys? Ya know Steve actually posted maybe like 2 years ago when I owned the Suoerior II dacs. I checked and posted the correct information. Steve must have forgotten. This is a DEAD issue. Now you guys are just running with it

1 - 20 of 66 Posts