AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may no longer be the right forum for my question but I know a lot of Theta fans hang out here. I have a CB2 with 1 Superior DAC for the front 3 channels and a Standard DAC for the remaining 6. According to one of the many great reviews of the CB2, all DACs became 96/24 capable because of the main processor upgrade of the CB2. Is this true because the manual doesn't reflect the same opinion? However, my real problem is I just bought my first 96/24 music disk and I can't even get an output from the Superior DAC. This should work, right? My Theta transport is setup to output 96/24 and although I suspect the Standard DAC would mute (based on the manual), I thought the Superior DAC supported this format.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sam

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
The Superior DACs do support 96/24, as do the latest/greatest Xtreme DACs. And Sam, as you bought a used Superior DAC card from me, I can unequivocally tell you that it did 96/24 in my Theta Casablanca 2.

Which Theta transport are you using? Both the Voyager and David can be set in the menu to output a full digital 24/96 audio signal. I'm not sure about the other Theta transports.

Here's another catch. The above works with the old "stereo" 24/96 DVDs

only. The Casablanca 2 does not yet support accepting digital input of DVD -Audio. I have tried a DVD-Audio disc which states it has both 24/96 stereo and 24/96 multichannel tracks and I couldn't get it to work, either. I guess this makes sense, as don't they copy protect so you can't get a digital bitstream out of DVD-Audio discs?

Do you have one of the Chesky stereo 24/96 DVDs??? If you do, try it.

It should work fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

You are right on target. It's one of those DTS/DVD-Audio/PCM disks that I can't get to work. I am using the Theta Carmen transport and it's set for 96/24 output. It appears the DTS 96/24 is working but not the PCM 2 channel track. Then again, is there any way on the CB2 to show what bit rate it's running? The DTS track may very well be running at 48/16 as well.

Also, I was in no way questioning what you sold me; it was the manual and review I am confused about.

I don't have any Chesky disks but now this is getting the best of me so I need to get one.

Thanks for the help!!

Sam

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
The CB2 "status" button only shows bit rate for PCM and Dolby Digital and is meaningless for DTS.

Have you tried the "Display" button on your DVD/CD player to show which Audio track is playing???

Oh - I know you weren't questioning the Superior DAC I sold you and whether it was working properly. NOOOO Problem. You were just questioning the 24/96 operation of your Theta gear. Glad to help.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Multi-format DVD-A PCM 24/96 tracks will not output a digital signal! This is a DVD-A copy protection issue. There were only a handful of DVD's that were released in 2000 prior to the formation of the DVD-A standard that will play/output properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.