Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Does anyone here have a Theta David dvd player? How does it sound and how is the video compared to other players?

Does anyone know how much a used Theta David is worth?

Thanks in advance, Brian

·
Registered
366 Posts
Anything by Theta in my opinion is top notch. As for the used price...would depend on condition, usage etc. I don't know what the rest of your system is, but remember the "weakest link" theory. Your system is only going to perform as well as the lowest performance component.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
bk: we meet again.

as tom waits says: "you musta been reading my mail", but in this case a year or two too late. sold my david back then and went proceed.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi John,

How was the Theta David compared to your Proceed dvd player? Was there a big difference? And why did you end up selling the Theta David?

PS I am looking forward to getting my Faroudja NR scaler.

Thanks, Brian

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Brian:

If you are concerned about excellence in video, I don't think you can ignore that any top-notch dvd player these days shoud be progressive scan. The Theta does have a progressive option, but is pricey !

Take a look at the Pioneer Elite DV-38A or Sony 9000 or Toshiba's top product. My friend has the 38A and it is a great video piece and a good audio transport. ... and $cheap.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Brian: i wanted to get a unitized system and go HT; at the time Theta didn't make an amp, Proceed had the works. I tried out the the Theta david and Gen V dac, Krell pre, Krell amp system that i was using vs the AVP, PMDT and AMP5, and damned if the proceed combo didn't sound better; was able to do it all in my home,with my speakers (watt puppies).

Had a mysterious problem with the david, sent it in for successful repair and was told they found a glitter-like substance in the drive, cleaned it up and it worked fine. no problems after that.

regarding the progressive scan, given that you will have the Native Rate, you don't need it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Brian, I considered the Theta DaViD when I was looking for a new player. Based on performance I went with the Camelot Roundtable. It also has RGB out so that I can connect directly to a front projector.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Lammer
Brian:

If you are concerned about excellence in video, I don't think you can ignore that any top-notch dvd player these days shoud be progressive scan. The Theta does have a progressive option, but is pricey !

- Andy
Since he has indicated he is getting a scaler, he should avoid a progressive player!!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply's. I am wondering if there is a real difference in these highend dvd players. Does the picture really look that much better since my Faroudja NR will be doing the upscaling.

But I have never really tried any other dvd player since I bought my Sony 7000.

I would be interested in hearing people that have upgraded from a regular mass market dvd player, like my Sony 7000. To a higherend player like the Theta or EAD or Meridian and others.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi Brian,

I thought you were an EAD guy :D

The Theatermaster P is now discontinued, so it can be had a very good price. AudioGon would be one place to check.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Brian, what size are you using for a TV or projector ?

The bigger the display device, the easier it is to discern improvements in scaling quality, IMO.

- Andy

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All,

Thanks for all the reply's.

Just to let you know. My system consists of an NEC xg75 Crt projector with a 100" 4x3 stewart screen.

I just recently got a Faroudja NR scaler with 1280x720 resolution. I am currently using a Sony 7000 dvd player and a Sony Scd-777es Sacd player, for 2channel music.

I have an Ead Theatermaster Signature Preamp/processor and Powermaster 2000 with Mirage speaker package.

I was considering a Theta David, Ead Theatervision P, and even a Pioneer Elite Dv-09, on the cheaper scale.

I can get a Pioneer Elite Dv-09 used for as low as $600(US). And I was trying to find out if it was worth spending $1600 to $1800 for a Theta David or the EAD dvd player.

Thanks, Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.