AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with Theta and discovered they have a Blu-Ray player almost ready. I believe the name is CompliBlu if I heard right. Seems it will be a universal player with SACD and offers bitstreaming. How did this get past the Theta AVSers?

·
Registered
30,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC /forum/post/16956094

It is my understanding it is built from the Compli.

Possibly but it seems unlikely as both new drive mechanism as well as new electronics/processing are required. Mebbe they kept the case.

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
Could be an Oppo - Lexicon has OEM'd them... I would think for a small company like Theta it would be impossible to build a player from the ground up... BUt lets see the pre/pro first. I'm sure the player will arrive in '12.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC /forum/post/16955064

Just got off the phone with Theta and discovered they have a Blu-Ray player almost ready. I believe the name is CompliBlu if I heard right. Seems it will be a universal player with SACD and offers bitstreaming. How did this get past the Theta AVSers?

Have they mentioned when the Beta testing will be complited on the CBIII-HDMI upgrade?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 /forum/post/16956928

Have they mentioned when the Beta testing will be complited on the CBIII-HDMI upgrade?

Working Demo at Cedia. Selling shortly after is what I was told today. I'll be swinging by to check it out.

·
Registered
27,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman /forum/post/16957037

The compli was based on a pioneer. Same remote also.

The internal parts were probably modified but if i remember well, the transport mechanism is the same.

IT would be interesting to know if THeta fixed the 3 sec layer change inherent in the $2K 09 and $500 05 players.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The $2K 09 had a 1.1 sec layer change as tested by Secrets so I'm not sure where you are getting the 3 sec layer change from.

"The only area the BDP-09FD didn't shine was in the usability section of our benchmark. The player only had average performance when it comes to response, and clocked in at a good but not great 1.1 seconds for layer changes."

This is the perfect thread for you! You get to bash Theta and Pioneer in the same thread! Have fun..............

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
Any lag for layer changes on DVD in this day and age is unacceptable. Especially a $2K player. To me equipment is guilty until proven innocent. It's stuff someone's trying to sell. I have never had an emotional love affair over equipment. Who cares about it? If it's not right *****. Someone at the co. will hear it

When Theta releases a working HDMI SSP, my complaint is over. After 5 years, I'm ready to move on.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree but there's HUGE difference between the 3 second layer change you stated and the factual 1.1 second layer change. The OPPO 83 had a 1 sec layer change. Is a tenth of a second that big of a deal to knock the Pioneer?

·
Registered
27,367 Posts
I disagree. A 0.5 sec lag is huge. It may be a good BD player, but useless for DVD. Certainly for those who care about movie watching, it's a huge minus. May as well incorporate an intermission.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The Pioneer 09 does not do SACD so it will be either from Oppo, Denon, or Marantz.

I pick the new Marantz.

It would be fun to think that Theta would apply their skill and handling of a totally Theta mutichannel analog audio section with Theta DACs and Theta fully balanced 7.1 channel analog outs paired with the Denon video section. Just put it all in a taller, very shiny, metal case and Bob's yer uncle.

Then, make a stand alone, fully balanced, Theta 8 shooter pure analog multichannel preamp to attach to.

How hard could that be and how long would that take? Bet it would sound killer.

·
Registered
30,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/16960738

I disagree. A 0.5 sec lag is huge. It may be a good BD player, but useless for DVD. Certainly for those who care about movie watching, it's a huge minus. May as well incorporate an intermission.

What a great idea for an option selection on the player!

1- Change layer directly.

2- At layer change, insert pause while screen displays "Refreshments are available in the lobby."

·
Registered
22,324 Posts
"We have a blu ray player" meaning Theta has bought a blu ray player they are testing on the HDM 1.3 Casablanca 3.

Interpreted as "we have a Theta blu ray player available for sale soon".

HA!

Theta's blu ray player will be either the Pioneer o5 or Oppo modded, likely the Oppo.

The player has to be a "reasonable" price to acquire before the mods and Theta's pricing. Too expensive an initial player means too expensive a Theta player and few sales.

·
Registered
27,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16961349

What a great idea for an option selection on the player!

1- Change layer directly.

2- At layer change, insert pause while screen displays "Refreshments are available in the lobby."
. Good one!

I'll remember that next time I watch 'Barry Lyndon'.

·
Premium Member
7,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty/twenty /forum/post/16960810

It would be fun to think that Theta would apply their skill and handling of a totally Theta mutichannel analog audio section with Theta DACs and Theta fully balanced 7.1 channel analog outs paired with the Denon video section. Just put it all in a taller, very shiny, metal case and Bob's yer uncle.

Then, make a stand alone, fully balanced, Theta 8 shooter pure analog multichannel preamp to attach to.

How hard could that be and how long would that take? Bet it would sound killer.

I do not know of any 7.1 players or even 5.1 players with "fully" balanced outs for the surround channels.They are too expensive to make and thus sale. Only thing I could think of would be the EMM labs 6 channel dac with a separate transport but currently nothing does blu-ray they make. Speaking of EMM labs,they were one of the first to sell a really high quality six channel pre-amp. It's the worst selling product they sell, I am told. When the HDMI upgrade happens, I suspect, sells of even the Six Shooter will fall and give Theta very little incentive to offer a newer model. It's just the market. Most home theaters are still 5.1 and a very few people want multi-channel analog pre-amps. Most want an all in-one box even if the sound quality in inferior. It's unlikely you would ever see a player with fully balanced outs for the surround from Theta.

·
Premium Member
7,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/16963528

Theta's blu ray player will be either the Pioneer o5 or Oppo modded, likely the Oppo.

The player has to be a "reasonable" price to acquire before the mods and Theta's pricing. Too expensive an initial player means too expensive a Theta player and few sales.

Evelyn Sinclair told me that Theta had some sort of arrangement with Pioneer but that was the old Theta. I knew that the blu-ray player was being developed. When I first heard, it was nearly two years ago, so I should not be surprised that one is nearing completion. I guess we will see the a full scale launch of the new Theta with the Dreadnaught III, CBIII HDMI and Blu-ray player.

1 - 20 of 401 Posts