AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer Elite 45 and 4 AR "edge" speakers. A Sub from AR and of course my very old but I still think excellent Thiel CS 2.2's (Rosewood).

I'm hoping that someone out there has enough speaker knowledge to help me. I really don't have the cash right now to buy an entire system and was hoping to just get a center channel that would match my 2.2's.

I went to 6'th ave electronics and the salesman told me he had never heard of Thiel and I should get five new speakers. He told me that I would be impressed with the "Definitive" system they had setup. I didn't think it sounded as good as my beloved Thiel's and I had to get back to work.

I went to Harvey's and the salesman told me that my Thiel's would work well as surround speakers and had me listen to some SONUS FABER in the $3-4K range. They sounded great, but way too much for the time being.

So I got to thinking, could I add a Center channel to my Thiel's that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg?

I called a store that carries Theil's and I think the center was in the $1300 range. This seems like a lot to spend on a Center channel.

Anybody know of a good center to match the Thiel's?

I should add that I'm using a Front projector and so the speaker doesn't have to be shielded. Just short enough to fit under the screen, roughly 2 feet.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get an SCS 3 and live happily. I used a very good Mirage center with my Thiel 2.0s for years It was Okay but the sound definately improved when I put in an SCS3. The 2.0s were too bright but they have that problem with just about anything. The 2.2s would be a closer match. I eventually broke down and went with the new 2.4s for left right and put a couple more SCS 3s for the rears. I figure another couple of weeks and the 2.4s should be broken in.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yeah that 1,300 dollar center was for the SCS3. Seems like a lot because it is a lot. It does sound really good but it's a lot of money for ONE coaxial speaker in a box. Thiels are big money but you do get a lot for what you pay for. The new 2.3's are an amazing speaker for the money.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Anthony,

You posted this same question in another thread about ten days ago. I don't think you returned to the thread after my reply ... so I'll stick it in here again.

Quote:
I have an old pair of 2.2s still going strong after eight years as the fronts in my HT. My original centre was an SCS2 which I was never really happy with. About 8 months ago I added an MCS1 as centre and it is truly brilliant. The MCS1 is a bit pricey but if you can do it I promise you will never regret it.

My current system is 7.1 with CS2.2s, MCS1 and four SCS2s.

I am currently trying to resist the new 2.4s.
Please let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peter,

Sorry about that, I did check that thread but didn't realize that your post was answering my question. I had hijacked the thread and really thought you were responding to the original poster.

My current frame of mind is that I don't want to spend too much on a center to match my Thiel's. But what I'm gathering is that I will have to, if I want to get a good match.

I noticed a pair of CS 1.2's on Audiogon and got to thinking about using one as a center - I have no idea what 1.2's sound like.

Still not sure what to do.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Anthony:

IMHO, the Center channel is the MOST important one on a HT system! Don't skimp on this!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You should buy side speakers instead of a center channel, unless you have many guests over a lot and you are anxious to please them, IMO. Your speakers, properly set up, should be able to image well enough to do a phantom center. I am one among a number of people who believe that phantom centers are superior in sound to a dedicated center channel and the only purpose of the center channel is to anchor dialog to those who are sitting outside the sweet spot. You will probably get more personal enjoyment getting side speakers so you can have 5.1 sound in the sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Anthony,

No worries ... just wanting to help out a fellow Thiel lover.:)

I must disagree with the poster above ... I have never heard a phantom centre sound as good as properly matched centre.

IMHO Eric got it right when he said that for HT the centre is the MOST important speaker.

I would not expect the 1.2s to be a very good match. They must also be quite old. The current incarnation is 1.6 and before that the 1.5s were around for ages ... maybe seven or eight years.

The SCS linked to above seems a bit expensive. An SCS2 should be around the same price.

Whatever you decide to do ... at least make sure you listen to an MCS1 and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ahh, a disagreement...the best alternative, I guess, is for ant to try with a center and phantom the center and see what he likes better before spending for a new center. Ant, I encourage you to test it out first and see (hear) if I am crazy or not, it could save you some money.

When you do the challenge, don't forget to make sure the volume coming from the phantom center is equal to that of your regular center channel. You should do this by ear if your mains have a different efficiency level than your center.

By the way, I own a center speaker which I paid a lot of money for (in addition to amplification and cables that are all equal to my main speakers), which is matched to my system. I am not one of those people who don't one one and are justifying my non-purchase -- this is so you know where I am coming from -- I am not making accusations on anyone else, by the way. I believe all the advice you have been given here is honest. It just reflects a difference of opnion.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

I will definitely try the phantom center test, if this is possible on my Pioneer Elite 45. I'm guessing I'll just run the auto setup without the center to get it to calibrate properly. It does make sense that if I sat in the middle then everything should work as an old fashioned stereo (2 speakers). In doing the test I'll try different seating arrangements. I have a 100+" wide screen and have a three person couch next to a two person couch as the possible seating positions.

I will also do what I shouldn't do and demo some MCS1's and SCS3's. This of course will mean that I will break down and get them. I've always had trouble leaving a store without buying something that I love.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.