AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use the Thiel CS2.3 speakers for my Front L/R and the SCS3 for my center channel. I've been contemplating moving these speakers to the rear and adding the new CS2.4 for L/R and MCS-1 as my center.

Two questions. Has anyone heard the new CS2.4s? How do they compare to the 2.3s? Also, how does the MCS-1 compare to the SCS3 as a center channel?

Greg

·
Registered
643 Posts
From my listening I would say it's no contest. The new 2.4's are amazing and the MCS-1 is nice but I don't think it's worth the money over the SCS3. Just my opinion but I think the MCS-1 is WAY over priced.

You have to listen to the 2.4's, they are MUCH better then the 2.3's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would concur with blkwrxwgn about the 2.4s. I have a pair. I have not heard the MCS-1. While the Thiel web site claims not to have a review of the SCS3 as of yet the review of the MCS-1 combined with the MCS-1 listed as (large file 3 mb) on their review list is actually a review of all 3 speakers. The impression from the review is that the MCS-1 may be slightly better as a center it just isn't worth the coin.

I have the CS 2.4s for the mains. Three SCS3s for the center and surround and 2 SCS 2s for the rear. The SCS3s meld pretty seamlessly with the 2.4s.

I have spent several hours thinking "these speakers are way to good for home theatre"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely take a listen to the new 2.4s. It is interesting that several people have responded, but the summary page shows no replies and doesn't bump the topic to the top with each reply. Is AVS having server issues?

Greg

·
Registered
643 Posts
The nice thing about the 2.4's is that they offer them in a cool black (non wood) finish that is $400 cheaper then the listed price. You can get them for $1999 list. I've seen a demo pair before for $1595. The all black are really nice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by blkwrxwgn
The nice thing about the 2.4's is that they offer them in a cool black (non wood) finish that is $400 cheaper then the listed price. You can get them for $1999 list. I've seen a demo pair before for $1595. The all black are really nice.
I assume the price you are quoting is per speaker, not per pair?

Can anyone comment on how going up the price range in Thiel speakers benfits the sound? Are the 3.6s better than the new 2.4s? i don't think they have been updated in 10 years. How about the CS6s? Of course, they are double the price and way more than i want to spend...

Greg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blkwrxwgn and wilsonrob,

Can either of you compare the sound of the new 2.4s to the older 2.3s? Are they any more detailed?

Greg

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Just one more opinion-

the 2.4s represent a significant improvement of the 2.3s

I would strongly disagree about the MCS1. I believe the SCS3 is somewhat inferior for both music and theater when compared to the MCS1, though I believe the SCS3 is a fine/accurate speaker for its price . In addition, the MCS1 is 3db more efficient will require 1/2 the power to produce the same volume.

The MCS1 is a far different design than the SCS3. The SCS3 is a single/tweet woof design, while the MCS1 is mid/tweet coaxial design where the driver share the same voice coil and avoid the use of an electric network by utilizing a mechanical crossover.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I heard the 2.4s at CES. They are the first Thiel speakers I liked, the rest of them give me headaches.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I totally agree with Endymion. They are the only ones I could listen to for any long period of time.

Don, I just feel that at this guy's budget that the SCS3 is plenty enough. The MCS1 as a center that costs more then your front speakers just doesn't make sense. Now 5 MCS1's would be sweet! Or 3.4's and the MCS1 up front would work. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Edymion and blkwrxwgn,

What about the other Thiels causes you guy's discomfort?

I am thinking about going with 1.6's for mains and an SCS3 for center in about a year.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
I totally agree with Endymion. They are the only ones I could listen to for any long period of time...
blkwrxwgn,

didn't you say that you enjoyed the CS 1.6s?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by matthewD
...I am thinking about going with 1.6's for mains and an SCS3 for center in about a year.
matthewD,

IMHO, the Thiel 1.6s are fine speakers. they were "brighter" than say the Dynaudio Audience 72 but they weren't "drive me out of the room" bright. I do like Thiels, however they do cost a pretty penny...

so if i may, i'd like to make a suggestion since you say you're gonna add the SCS3 a year later...i take it that the 3 speakers are out of your budget right now...if that's the case, you might want to consider the Onix Reference speakers. these speakers are very revealing, detailed and will play right up there with some of the most well regarded speakers. and they are affordable! for about the same price as a pair of CS1.6s, you can get all three front. there are some existing threads w/ reviews on the Refs from owners so i would recommend you read those and see what you think...just a suggestion...good luck! :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GJG
I assume the price you are quoting is per speaker, not per pair?

Can anyone comment on how going up the price range in Thiel speakers benfits the sound? Are the 3.6s better than the new 2.4s? i don't think they have been updated in 10 years. How about the CS6s? Of course, they are double the price and way more than i want to spend...

Greg
Yes I was. Sorry about that.

Yeah I did like the 1.6's Mad Dog but I didn't want to refer these to anybody because I only heard them on an all tube setup and I'm sure that took the edge off of a speaker that many people consider to be bright.

Mad Dog brought up a whole other issue that I agree with. I listened to both of the new Thiels and they couldn't touch the Onix Ref 1's in detail, bass extension, looks and budget.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
A Thiel dealer who is a good friend of mine, invited me in to listen to some simple jazz and chamber music through the Thiel CD .5s. He has a nicely damped room and was using some high-end Audio Research tube gear to drive them (about $8K worth of front-end electronics). The point of this was not to sell me on Thiel, I've had problems with them in the past with them giving me headaches --- including the CS3.6 and CS6 in the same listening room. Rather, he wanted me to hear how tonally accurate and clean they could be, even when compared to very expensive speakers.

So I went in and we listened and chatted for about an hour. The volume level was set to a very moderate 75-80dB on average. They did sound good, very good. Instruments were well-defined with excellent separation and a convincing 3-D soundstage was created.

It was his contention that at moderate levels, playing music with simple arrangements and setup properly, that the .5s were competitive with the very best speakers on the market. This was no small statement coming from him, as he owns three $20K+ systems in his home and has been to dozens of high-end shows and manufacturer's demos.

A nice way to spend part of an afternoon. This is the way that speakers should be auditioned, in a nice, relaxing atmosphere, with well-recorded music, in a room where a good amount of care has been devoted to setting them up right, and spending more than 5-10 minutes to hear them out.

Tom B.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't know exactly what it is that gives me headaches. I've listened to several models on a number of occassions in different rooms with different electronics at Digital Ear in Tustin. Some tell me that the Thiels are too bright and that is what the problem is; however, I don't really know. I've talked to a really knowledgable audiophile whose advice I really trust and he says that he can set up the Thiels so that they sound fantastic and don't have a brightness problem so I guess with the right electronics and room setup they can be fine. The 2.4s at CES sounded great and I listened to them for quite a while without any problems. Maybe the new mechanical crossover plays some part in their sounding better or possibly the fact that Thiel set them up at CES had something to do with it. (Come to think of it; I did hear the 2.4s setup at Digital Ear recently and they sounded good there too).

For reference, my favorite speakers are the Vandersteens (I have 3Asigs with 2Wq subwoofers).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
matthewD,

IMHO, the Thiel 1.6s are fine speakers. they were "brighter" than say the Dynaudio Audience 72 but they weren't "drive me out of the room" bright. I do like Thiels, however they do cost a pretty penny...

so if i may, i'd like to make a suggestion since you say you're gonna add the SCS3 a year later...i take it that the 3 speakers are out of your budget right now...if that's the case, you might want to consider the Onix Reference speakers. these speakers are very revealing, detailed and will play right up there with some of the most well regarded speakers. and they are affordable! for about the same price as a pair of CS1.6s, you can get all three front. there are some existing threads w/ reviews on the Refs from owners so i would recommend you read those and see what you think...just a suggestion...good luck! :)

Mad Dog,

I am planning on upgrading my mains and center within a year. Budget is not the issue as much as timing. I have been building a HT from ground zero so cash has been flowing in the wrong direction. I still need a sub and I want to add a Rotel 1095 amp. I have done some casual listening to the Thiel's and liked what I heard.

I'm sure the Onix/Rocket stuff is great and Mark and the gang run a first rate business from my reading. I will be sticking with my local shop, I get 100% trade-in on my speakers and they are great about allowing in home equipment trials.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Don, I just feel that at this guy's budget that the SCS3 is plenty enough. The MCS1 as a center that costs more then your front speakers just doesn't make sense.
Actually, I'm assuming you can buy the MCS1 as a single speaker not a pair, in which case it is ~ $2200. The 2.4s are around $4000/pair. Given the importance of the center channel for dialog clarity, I'm not sure I would not be willing to pay more than for the L/R pair, but in this case you would not be.

I went and listened to the 2.4s yesterday. At first, I felt they sounded very much like the 2.3s. They were being played through an Aragon 300w/channel amp and an Audio Research tube pre-amp. I had them switch the amp to a Bryston 4B ST. I then played my Brian Bromberg CD straight through as I was really enjoying the sound.

I haven't completely made up my mind about the 2.4s yet, but I did buy the amp for my two channel set-up. Since it is a discontinued model, I got a great price.

Greg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.