AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 837 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with Bruce Thigpen at Eminent Tech for the past couple of months. As you may know, Bruce has invented a very promising subwoofer technology using a modulated fan pitch approach to move large amounts of air. He has fabbed a custom fan based subwoofer demo for my home theatre configuration. A temporary configuration as you all will come to note.

Nonetheless, this will be the worldwide debut of this technology in an actual home theatre. We will be comparing Bruce's fan based subwoofer to the Wilson Watchdog and the Wilson XS sub. He is configuring the fan driven sub to drive 20Hz down to near DC audio frequencies at large SPLs. We will be taking detailed measurements for posting to AVSforum as well.

This should be a very interesting and unique event in the world of A/V. I'd like to keep the number of people attending somewhat limited so if you are interested, please let me know asap. The usual suspects, of course, are invited. If you are an industry A/V writer or journalist, we'd like to hear from you especially.

RSVP to this list and then I'll PM you with details.

Date: Sat, April 8th, reserve it on your calendars

Time: TBD, exact time of day to be announced as we get closer.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzucc
RSVP to this list and then I'll PM you with details.
tzucc,

I would very much like to see [ hear ] a comparison of the "fan subwoofer" and the Wilson XS and

Watchdogs.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I will make the drive as well.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter
I will make the drive as well.
Ditto...although you guys know that I am not into boom boxes.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Oh, I am SOOOOOO there.

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
What an exciting meet! It would be great if you guys could listen to the subs completely by themselves for a bit (i.e. no mains playing). This has always shown the true nature of a sub during my auditions. I am very interested in hearing how the ET sub does on fast, tight bass material and if there is any background noise from the mechanism.

Tzucc, will all the subs run off the same x-over (obviously the amps will be different)? Is this ET sub part of your permanent install (doesn't this require a hole in a wall)?

Cool stuff!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg, not quite sure what Bruce will finalize on, but I know he will be bringing xovers and amps that he knows will do the job sub 20Hz.

Bruce emailed me a pic of the fan hub, and it looks like it's aerospace quality machining... I will ask his permission to post the pic here. I don't know how you will react, but it sent my pulse racing.

The ET sub is only being tested at my house in a temporary install in a door to the media room. It needs a lot of backventing apparently. When Bruce is here, we will discuss options to permanently install such a sub, if at all possible. How I wish I had met him 3 years ago when I was designing my room!!!

Mainly this event is for two reasons:

1) show and tell to BAAS, custom installers and other qualified/interested parties

2) Bruce wants to take some measurements in an acoustically treated media room, and compare against other quality subs like Wilson dogs and XS.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm a member of what is I guess the other BAAS, but would love to attend this. I am on the peninsula, and yet another MD audiophile.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
depending on attendance, we may split the day into two sessions... or more, so as to accomodate people in a reasonably critical listening (feeling?) session. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Quote:
so as to accomodate people in a reasonably critical listening (feeling) session. We'll see.
Hold on T - if I tell my wife I'm going to a feeling session with a bunch of men in a room with vault fashioned doors, my wife might not let me go ;)

---------------------------------

Ron Maidenberg

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ron, we're in the 408 here, not the 415. 'nuff said!

But if you insist, while we're feeling the effects of the SPL's, we will leave the lights on!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
POSSIBLE CHANGE: if we were to change the date to Sat the 15th of April, would that be OK with everyone.

There is a well known custom installer that can't make it the 8th, that we would definitely want to attend this event.

SO, please let me know if the 15th works fine for everyone and we'll finalize.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
POSSIBLE CHANGE: if we were to change the date to Sat the 15th of April, would that be OK with everyone.

There is a well known custom installer that can't make it the 8th, that we would definitely want to attend this event.

SO, please let me know if the 15th works fine for everyone and we'll finalize.
tzucc,

The "Ides of April" [ Tax Day ] is OK with me - I've already filed.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
15th is fine. In fact, the 15th is better for me.

1 - 20 of 837 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.