AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had someone today tell me that tft - thin film transistor in lcd tv gives it great viewing distances??? i am not sure if this is true or not.. cause he insists that lcd has better viewing angles than plasma and dlp tvs because of tft on lcd which doesnt seem to be true.... any one can help clear things up here???

·
Registered
271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakviet /forum/post/0

i had someone today tell me that tft - thin film transistor in lcd tv gives it great viewing distances??? i am not sure if this is true or not.. cause he insists that lcd has better viewing angles than plasma and dlp tvs because of tft on lcd which doesnt seem to be true.... any one can help clear things up here???

As far as I know plasma have better viewing angles.

·
Banned
2,646 Posts
He obviously doesn't know what TFT is..

TFT stands for Thin Film Transistor, it's a clear transistor that controls the pixels on an LCD screen. There are no modern LCD screens that don't use them. The use of TFT's has nothing to do with viewing angle.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The view angle of the LCD is based on "birefringence" which is the cause of the color fading / color inversion issue of the LCD at off angles. The TFT display looks vastly better than the old (no longer made) passive matrix color LCD, but the TFT itself does not make the viewing angle.

The angle is corrected by either Dual Domain (known as WMVA) or surface-mode (IPS -in-plane switched) are the ways to minimize the color shift at off angles.

By the way, viewing angle is NEVER the brightness view angle. Most LCD mfgs use films to collect and direct the light straight out the front. These films steal the light from the sides so the off angle brightness may drop off even though the TV is rated for 170+ degrees of viewing.

Another set of dubious specs to be argued about.

DB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.