AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the posts I've read, guys are thinning the goo for spraying. The instructions specifically say not to thin the guy. We are going to spray. What's the right way to go? Is it too thick to spray as is?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ken suggest thinning to a max of 10% with water. How much thinning will depend on the sprayer. The base coat is also thicker than the the top.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ken suggest thinning to a max of 10% with water. How much thinning will depend on the sprayer. The base coat is also thicker than the the top.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes 10% water. The sprayer your using should have instruction on the consistency of the paint to spray or thin a little, try spraying on a practise board, thin more as needed.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the sprayer requires more thinning, is it better to roll at that point? There's got to be a reason Ken is limiting the amount of thinning.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ed,

If you are referring to the Wagner airless sprayers, yes you will need to thin. They include a thinning gage to get it right.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hey dm,

I used the gage as a guide and found the basecoat needed more water than the topcoat. It might of been close to 3oz for the base and 1.5oz for the topcoat with 1 liter containers.

With the heavier paints, you really want to follow the Tim Allen approach...

More power! arh, arh, arh. When the paint is too thick and you're using the low power versions, they have a tendency to spit. They also spit when they get down to about a 1/4 left in the cup. So watch your volume.

Other than that, I've had good results with the Wagner.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
What it comes down to with spraying, Is that we don't want people thinning by too much. So.. 10% is recommended, as a max level. Water should be added SLOWLY, and checked for viscosity every time a bit is added. Many sprayers may be just fine with no thinning whatsoever. It all depends on your experience with sprayers. Thinning is NOT necessary for spraying. Repeat NOT. You may thin if you desire, with clean water. We are just trying to make sure people do not over-thin the product. The sole exception, is the CRT White basecoat that definitely needs thinning, if you are spraying.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DIY Guy
Hey dm,

I used the gage as a guide and found the basecoat needed more water than the topcoat. It might of been close to 3oz for the base and 1.5oz for the topcoat with 1 liter containers.

With the heavier paints, you really want to follow the Tim Allen approach...

More power! arh, arh, arh. When the paint is too thick and you're using the low power versions, they have a tendency to spit. They also spit when they get down to about a 1/4 left in the cup. So watch your volume.

Other than that, I've had good results with the Wagner.

The cheapest wagner at my home depot is a 1800psi model. What arh arh arh power unit did you use?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I purchased the 1800 wagner. The thing is very difficult to control. I tried to spary some homedepot primer without success. I got lots of spitting and blobs. I am sure that with the right amount of thinning (I thinned some) it MIGHT work. But the whole experience scared me off of using the sprayer with my expensive Goo paint. I am sure that it is possible to get a good screen with a sprayer. But it really does take an experienced sprayer to get it right. I did not want to learn to spray with goo.

I ruined a 4x8 sheet of hardboard (cheap at $8.99 per sheet) trying to spray the primer coat.

On to rolling my goo on a fresh sheet of hardboard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.