AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 year old Electrohome (Mitsubishi) 27" TV that has been showing a faint white vertical line down the centre of the picture tube.

It is most noticable in dark scenes on DVDs and in some of my PS2 video games, but I notice it all time and it bugs me :D

Any idea what could be going wrong with old faithful?

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Ol' faithful at 13 years old? What do you think? ;)

I think you're running out of time, buddy. Just brace yourself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm expecting one of these days to turn on the TV and there will be a brief flash and then nothing :mad: :D

I'm just curious as to whether it might be the tube itself or other electronics inside.

Could be good ammo when it comes to the "but dear, this TV is on it's last legs" routine :D

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose
I'm expecting one of these days to turn on the TV and there will be a brief flash and then nothing :mad: :D

I'm just curious as to whether it might be the tube itself or other electronics inside.

Could be good ammo when it comes to the "but dear, this TV is on it's last legs" routine :D
Let me tell you what you're going to likely see:

About 4 years ago now, I had about a 16 year old, 1980's era, top of the line Sony Trinitron literally die in my face after many years of faithful service. It exhibited conditions not unlike what you're talking about, but I also noticed...it just simply was losing its picture. It was getting dimmer, less colorful...just slowly dying.

One day, I'm playing PlayStation on it and you hear this buzz, a pop, there was a quick flash on screen and, poof! Out she went, like when a light bulb suddenly pops and burns out on you.

A sad day that was. The old gal was given the 5 star salute and send off for sure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's just a matter of time. When I turn the TV off, you can see what looks like a lightning bolt pattern on the tube before it goes black.

Of course if will die right when my wife is in the middle of a video game :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.