AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for thin, elegant, good-sounding wall-mounted speakers with a price ceiling of 1000 $/speaker?

I have a large theater (70 m2, which is I think ca. 630 sq ft), which I wish to equip with 7 unobtrusive wall-mounted (child-proof) speakers + 2 subwoofers.

I am leaning towards Finalsound electrostats (model 400 or 600). I like the form factor and the finish. What I don't like is their black funereal color, but the local dealer offered to repaint them in ultramarine blue for a relatively reasonable price.

For the subwoofers, I would buy Velodynes if they just were a little less boxy...

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
The B&W SCMS are a pair I own that are flat and sound quite good. Very close to the B&W 805's in sound.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I would think you would want to take a look at Magnepans.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
which of the many Magnepans would be most apt to my situation? My HT room is depicted here . The total volume should be around 2000 cubic ft.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Take a look at the Martin-Logan Fresco. Clear, lively electrostatic-like sound. Elegant look and flexible wall or ceiling mounting options. If I hadn't bought the Thiel Powerpoints (which are great but more expensive), I would have bought the Fresco for my ceiling-mounted application.

SDL

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for your great suggestions! I am narrowing my choices to the following:

- Thiel Powerpoints may be good, in my situation, for the side and rear surrounds, where I have the necessity to be as invisible as possible.

- For fronts, I am oriented towards Magnepans (but which ones???) or FinalSound (400i or 600).

- For center, a FinalSound 100 would probably do. It will go below my huge (310 cm width) screen.

would I be doing something stupid by mixing & matching all these different guys?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alternatively, I thought:

- Front: 2x Magnepan MG12 (43 x 130 x 4 cm). But can they be wall-mounted?

- center and all surround channels: 5x Magnepan MMG-C (91 x 23 x 14 cm)

·
Registered
606 Posts
The Maggie MG 1.2 shouldnt be wall mounted and needs room to breath.The speaker is designed to work best when its 3 to 4 feet out into the room.The MMGC center also is not recommended to be wall mounted by Maggie.

Youd be better served with the MMGC for a center and either MC1's or MMGW's for the rest of the speakers,Both these models ARE designed to be wall mounted.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...but the MC1 stops at 80 Hz according to the company, which probably means, in reality, that anything below 150 Hz will not be reproduced.

I could set the crossover frequency to the subwoofer to 150 Hz, but would I then need 7 subwoofers all around the place to compensate for the wimpy bass?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Nope,you dont need 7 subs nor do you need to set the xover to 150.I run MMGW's as surrounds.The xover is set to 100 as per maggie instructions.1 good sub,svs,hsu,etc and your rolling.

Maggie says my MMGW's play to 100.Using my rat shack meter,there is no noticeible roll off until 100 when I tested them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are CAD drawings (or any other kind of technical drawings) available for the MC1, MMGW, etc.? I definitely wish to simulate the whole enchilada before placing an order...

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aag
thank you all for your great suggestions! I am narrowing my choices to the following:

- Thiel Powerpoints may be good, in my situation, for the side and rear surrounds, where I have the necessity to be as invisible as possible.

- For fronts, I am oriented towards Magnepans (but which ones???) or FinalSound (400i or 600).

- For center, a FinalSound 100 would probably do. It will go below my huge (310 cm width) screen.

would I be doing something stupid by mixing & matching all these different guys?
Final Sound are awesome looking speakers with a great sound, but I think they would be hard pressed to deliver in such a large room. I'd say Magnepan would be much better suited for your situation, as long as you have lots of nice, clean power feeding them. Then again, your sweet spot will be much narrower with either choice compared to regular cone based speakers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.