AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... while shopping for plasmas in LA ....

— That a $100 "energy cleaning," surge protecting power strip will clean up most video artifacts and noise seen on plasma TVs (from a circuit city salesman)

— That Panasonics have such high contrast settings that they burn out in half the time of other, more reliable brands (from a salesman at good guys, which does not carry panasonic)

— That the Panasonic PX50U is not released yet (in July, at Best Buy, which was trying to get rid of their old stock) and that Samsung makes the world's most popular and best plasmas

— That EDTVs will not display a high definition source (best buy again)

-- That the prices of plasmas are only going to increase as we get closer to the holiday season (good guys)

Very odd to be standing there in the isle, minding your business, and somebody comes up and, with very little prompting, begins telling you things that aren't true ... it's like 'i was so much more impressed before you started talking'

·
Registered
72 Posts
At Best Buy a few weeks ago

Me: "Do you have the Westinghouse 37" LCD on show?

Salesman: "No, and we don't have any in stock either, you might want to look in the next Isle, we have a Sony 37" LCD"

I walk to the next Isle and low and behold, there is the Westinghouse 37" LCD. I'm studying the picture quality, when the same salesperson comes up to me and says

Salesman: "Much better than the Westinghouse don't you think?"

:D

·
Registered
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyInCA
At Best Buy a few weeks ago

Me: "Do you have the Westinghouse 37" LCD on show?

Salesman: "No, and we don't have any in stock either, you might want to look in the next Isle, we have a Sony 37" LCD"

I walk to the next Isle and low and behold, there is the Westinghouse 37" LCD. I'm studying the picture quality, when the same salesperson comes up to me and says

Salesman: "Much better than the Westinghouse don't you think?"

:D
:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was told a little while back that:

"If I bought an edtv, I would need a special edtv signal."

And my all time favorite "Plasmas were meant for the wall, to save space. If you do not hang them, they are a waste of money"

Gee, how about the technology and great pq MR. salesman??

·
Registered
71 Posts
The most admirable thing I've heard was a few weeks ago from a BB salesman. He was pretty knowledgeable about all of their plasmas and lcd's. I was looking at a Panasonic and a Pioneer and asked him which was the better choice. His response - "which picture do you like better? That's the better choice."

Then I asked him about an ED Panny sitting next to an HD Panny and which was a better value. His response - "Which picture do you like better? If you can't see a difference in the ED, then I would urge you to buy that and save yourself $500."

I would go back and buy a tv from that guy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
One guy told me who does home theater installs as a side job that plasmas needed to have the plasma gas recharged every two years. When I tried to set him straight he said that he had been to the factory in japan where it is done. I gave up. If the ignorant wish to remain so....so be it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterInsurgent
sorry but, anyone who says an ED is better than a HD should be fired in my book

Have you seen a NFL game in ED compared to HD? ...... Please.
:eek: :eek:

Ho hum-- not another one....

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterInsurgent
sorry but, anyone who says an ED is better than a HD should be fired in my book

Have you seen a NFL game in ED compared to HD? ...... Please.

dude, shhh ... don't awaken the ED hordes. it's like dawn of the dead. they'll just keep coming at you until you convert and start saying "ED is goooood...black levels niiiiice..."

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike
One guy told me who does home theater installs as a side job that plasmas needed to have the plasma gas recharged every two years. When I tried to set him straight he said that he had been to the factory in japan where it is done. I gave up. If the ignorant wish to remain so....so be it.
I have so wanted someone to tell this to me, so I can tell them I'm going to open a chain of Plasma Gas recharghing stations!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Me: I am here to buy the westy 37inch LCD 1080p

BB salesman: we don't have anything 1080p, but we do have this sharp 45 inch that comes close to it, but its only 720p. But it has great black levels so you wont' even notice that is isn't 1080p.

Me: I just want the 37 inch westy and I know you have it in stock, would you just go check your computer...

BB salesman: okay, but if we had it I'd know about it.

BB salesman: Oh wow, we do have it in stock...how did you that?

Me: I read AVSforum

BB salesman: is that a magazine?

Me: just please ring up my TV please....

BB salesman: You know you will need an additional power supply to keep the noise level down on your TV. And, have you heard about our extended service plan?

Me: If you don't ring me up this second, I'm am going to get another salesman...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Tonic

BB salesman: You know you will need an additional power supply to keep the noise level down on your TV. And, have you heard about our extended service plan?

Me: If you don't ring me up this second, I'm am going to get another salesman...
Well, in his defense I know their management does stress that they must sell the extended warrenties, as this is where their main profit comes from. Even if the guy knows its a rip off he has to sell them!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter scott
Well, in his defense I know their management does stress that they must sell the extended warrenties, as this is where their main profit comes from. Even if the guy knows its a rip off he has to sell them!
I actually made the guy happy and bought one just to shut him up....well that and this westy 37 inch is very poor quality so I expect it die.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I asked the saleman at BB if he had the Avia calibration disk and he said no (I don't think he even knew what calibration was), but he gave me some Best Buy DVD that is given free to purchasers of new TV's that he said had calibration on it.....

I got home and played it in my DVD player: It was just some hokey BB promo DVD that was staged like a bad Dick Van **** episode in the early 60's.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I got home and played it in my DVD player: It was just some hokey BB promo DVD that was staged like a bad Dick Van **** episode in the early 60's.

ROFL

That disk is HORRENDOUS! Every 2-3 minutes you hear, "If you have a problem with your t.v., please call 1-888-BEST-BUY!"

They do, however, have a disc for sale that is meant to do some sort of calibration. Whether it has test patterns and whatnot is to be seen - but I've seen the package;. somewhere around $29.99. AVIA or DVE are only available online, through http://www.bestbuy.com .

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wont mention the BM store but I was told that....

"The Monster Cable speaker wire is superior to any speaker wire on the market. It is specifically designed so that the electrons flow in only one direction prevent distortion"

Hmmmmmm.....I let it ride....I then came back with this ? for him because I couldnt let this go....

ME: "So if I put a current on one end of the wire it will only go one way? How can you tell which end goes to the speaker.....?"

HIM: " You can tell by the writing.....the current flows the way the words read"

I about died!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Salesman: "Dude .. like .. Sony's replacement lamps cost way more than everybody elses for some reason; they're like $500!

"My grandmother just bought a DLP and she's had to replace her lamps twice already! (what are grandmas good for if you can't use them to lie a little bit here and there? LOL!)"

Salesman (con't) - "And, oh yeah .. the Sony lamps are always backordered.

Incidentally, I found out that night, after leaving the Best Buy store that the Sony replacement lamps cost only $200. Next morning, I promptly returned to the store and had them refund my extended warranty.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.