AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to most likely be putting in a projector and I was wondering on a couple of things.

with the HDMI cable going from the projector to DVD / Amp, should this be wired in the cieling, or should it be wired outside so that as technology changes, I won't have to fish a new cable in, or is there a way to get the cable in the cieling without having to do this.

Also, Any other consideration that I need to make sure of during the remodel to make sure it will be ready to put the equipment in when it is finished.

Some measurements,

Cieling height 8.5'?

Width Up to 25'

Length 25"

The whole room will not be dedicated to Home theatre, rather it will be a great room that had the Theare, but the room will also be used for other purposes as well.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
If it's still bare studs the easiest solution might be to run a conduit from the head end to the projector location and feed the cables through that. Will save you a ton of headache if you ever need to replace/add connections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of the best things I did in my theater is to run 1 1/2 inch conduit from the equipment rack to the projector. Very easy to change the cables if needed. Also can handle both HDMI and Component with room to spare. It needs to be large to handle the heads on the cables. Also run conduit everywhere. I ran two to the projector so the power is in it's own run.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my biggest regret is not soundproofing the ceiling,

its easy to do before finishing is done, and not too expensive.

I cant turn up my volume at night now, or the wife goes nuts on the 3RD FLOOR!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I agree with davegrey99, pay attention to soundproofing if you have any plans of using the theater after others are asleep. I find the biggest source of sound leaks is from the HVAC system. Sound from the basement makes it to the 2nd floor bedrooms thru the forced hot air ducts. You can look in the construction forum for more info/ideas, but you would do well to isolate the basement ducts from the rest of the house. Of course if you don't have forced hot air it's not an issue.

In addition to conduit for video cables, you'll want to make sure you can get speaker cable from your equipment rack to your front and surround speakers. This can take some planning (may need to run cable in walls, etc).

Speaking of equipment rack, don't make the mistake of putting the rack up front, by the screen. Put it behind you so you don't have a bank of bright LED lights distracting you from the movie. My #1 mistake. It will keep you from having to put little pieces of electrical tape on every light later on!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegrey99 /forum/post/15575727

my biggest regret is not soundproofing the ceiling,

its easy to do before finishing is done, and not too expensive.

I cant turn up my volume at night now, or the wife goes nuts on the 3RD FLOOR!

Tell me about it. My entire hardwood floor on the main floor is acting as a giant sound board with the HT in the basement!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the conduit idea.

Is it necessary to run the speaker cable through the conduit as well. or just in the wall. Also if I have to cross the electrical lines parallel or perpendicular?

I also like the idea of having the equipment behind instead of by the screen.

I did not think of the soundproofing the cieling. Do you just pack the floor Joice (sp) with insulation, or are there better options?

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
You also might want to consider placing the equipment in another room. That way you do not have to deal with the heat, light and noise from amps , AVR's and such. Remote control is easy enough to take care of. I would also suggest going to the dedicate HT forum to read and study.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I didn't run my speaker wire through conduit, but in an effort to be forward thinking I did run 14/4 in the event that I would ever being doing front presence speakers or any kind of bi-amping. I didn't have any plans for it, but you never know.
I terminated the wire roughly where I wanted to place my mains and got some nice wall plates with binding posts from monoprice to finish it off. Using a couple of banana plugs makes it painless whenever I need to disconnect my speakers.

If and when possible try to run your video/audio cables perpendicular to your power cables. In some cases you'll be fine with running them parallel due to distance/shielding, but if you can help it why take the chance? Nothing would suck worse than finishing the room, hooking everything up, and finding out you have a nasty inductance issue!
If you have to run them parallel, try to run them no closer than 12", 18" would be better.

Can't really help you with the soundproofing, as I'm just getting ready to do it myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is one of my favorite topics. What did I do right vs what did I miss when building my theater? So many things to improve upon next time.

Conduit - technology changes often and conduit lets you adapt. If you have conduit in the walls, you can add cable as needed. I installed a lot of conduit and still wish I had more or larger conduit. each new device needs more cables. Added a PS3... now I have a hub in the wiring closet. No more conduit from the basement to the theater. Wanna move the sub? Too much work.

Soundproofing - really important as others stated. My theater used to be a two car garage. Luckily, I put in an isolation wall and while I lost 4.5 inches in the room, I can crank it up at night.

Placement - conduit for the sub - thought I knew where it would live forever. Then I found acoustic panels from an old theater at a garage sale. Had to poke a hole through the acoustic panel for the sub. No one sees it, but I know it's there. And while on this topic, the 50' sub cable just barely reaches... 2 inches further and the sub cable would have been much more expensive.

Rack - Along with the suggestions on placing the equipment behind you, think about this... I have a door on the back side of the equipment rack. When I need to get to the cables, I just open the door, flip on the light, and go to work. No moving the rack. You will add and change equipment over time. This si a big time saver.

Lighting - Remote controlled lighting is the best, if it fits in the budget. You can't have too much control over lighting or too many lighting zones.

IR transmitter - Wish I had more IR receivers and transmitters. easier to install now than later. If nothing else, run some low voltage wire where you think you'll want it later.

Electrical - put in more than you think you'll need everywhere. The wife wants a heating pad, son wants to charge the PSP and I need to charge the laptop. Put one every four feet, if possible. And double it. Put all video equipment on a dedicated circuit to cut down electrical noise. Extra outlets by the equipment rack. Will you plug the projector into a ceiling outlet or run power through a conditioner/UPS in the rack?

That's my list. Did I mention more conduit? I love this hobby, but I need go look for a second job

1 - 13 of 13 Posts