AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I really miss the movie score soundtracks from the past. Don't get me wrong , I still like some soundtracks from today's movies but I think that in the old days there were more themes. Movies like Batman, Superman, Indiana Jones and who couldn't forget Star Wars, had themes that stayed with you long after the movie was over. I also miss the special effects from the 80's. The other night I was watching David Cronenberg's The Fly I just love the part when Seth transforms into the fly. It was the same thing with John Carpenter's The Thing and American werewolf in London , those were some awesome practical special effects that aren't made like that anymore (sight).

How about you guys ? Anything to discuss ?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elezzar /forum/post/16881829

Well I really miss the movie score soundtracks from the past. Don't get me wrong , I still like some soundtracks from today's movies but I think that in the old days there were more themes. Movies like Batman, Superman, Indiana Jones and who couldn't forget Star Wars, had themes that stayed with you long after the movie was over. I also miss the special effects from the 80's. The other night I was watching David Cronenberg's The Fly I just love the part when Seth transforms into the fly. It was the same thing with John Carpenter's The Thing and American werewolf in London , those were some awesome practical special effects that aren't made like that anymore (sight).

How about you guys ? Anything to discuss ?

With you 110% I really wish someone would make some good horror movies with original stories and some real creature creating and less CGI. I miss the comedies of the 80's too... don't make em like they used to.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I miss being able to sit in a theater I have PAID ADMISSION to and not being subject to a constant barrage of advertizing. I miss cartoons and previews and nothing else except perhaps a generic 10-second film clip promoting the concession stand. I miss popcorn that was popped fresh and big boxes of candy that you sometimes forgot to finish when it was a good movie.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I miss people who kept their F****ING mouths SHUT during a movie! And that's why I've invested so much into my HT.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elezzar /forum/post/16881829

Well I really miss the movie score soundtracks from the past. Don't get me wrong , I still like some soundtracks from today's movies but I think that in the old days there were more themes. Movies like Batman, Superman, Indiana Jones and who couldn't forget Star Wars, had themes that stayed with you long after the movie was over.

You only mention action/adventure movies, but there are plenty of movies today with very interesting scores, and memorable themes, and there are great composers as well:

off the top of my head,

Pan's Labyrinth (Javier Navarette)

Batman/Pirates/etc (Hans Zimmer)

The Matrix (Don Davis)

LOTR trilogy (Howard Shore)

Every movie scored by Philip Glass

John Williams has become a caricature of himself (what he did for Catch Me If You Can was really interesting though), and I hope Danny Elfman will come up with something better than Spider-Man soon!... Anyway, I still like Hermann's Psycho theme as well, but well, times change.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/16882870

My 19yo girlfriend...

hehehe, good one!

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
so, in short, we all miss our youth, right?

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
I miss war flicks that weren't overtly political.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Yeah, I miss movies before wretched pre-movie advertising became accepted.

I will never allow myself to feel complacent about that change. I did not pay money to watch ads!

Beyond that, I really miss the grand cinemas of my city, which are now all gone, replaced by the cookie-cutter chain theaters. There's no experience like it left anymore, for cinema in my city.

One thing I certainly do NOT miss: those old box-sized cineplex cinemas. This was back in the early eighties when someone got the bright idea they could cut up one or two perfectly good cinemas into 6 to 10 shoe-box-sized theaters. It was simply execrable having to watch movies in those old mini-theaters and the damned things began to actually dominate.

Luckily, especially when DVD became popular, movie theaters realised they had to again draw people away from watching movies on their TV at home.

To do that it started the trend of the big stadium-seating style theaters of today. Not exactly the Grand Ol' Theaters of yore, but very welcome compared to the previous trend of shrinking screens which to me was like watching the death of movie-going.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/16883827

I miss war flicks that weren't overtly political.

I also miss non-war films that weren't overtly political.

I certainly don't miss old, crappy CGI and effects (no offense old-timers! :p) and love the constant progression and mind-blowing uses, but I have an absolute disdain for the over-reliance on CGI. I miss when filmmakers achieved cool and interesting effects the old fashioned way, and when real stuntwork was done.

I also miss when more filmmakers took chances and didn't rely on the typical or already-successful recipes.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
At least we still have a Drive-in theater near my house... no more speaker boxes on the window but tuning in to their station on the radio isn't so bad and they still play the cartoon for the concession stand ("let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby and get ourselves a treat")

·
Registered
15,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/16885230

At least we still have a Drive-in theater near my house... no more speaker boxes on the window but tuning in to their station on the radio isn't so bad and they still play the cartoon for the concession stand ("let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby and get ourselves a treat")

Once I had kids I bemoaned the fact Drive In theaters had all but disappeared. Some of my fondest child hood memories were of my father taking us to the Drive In. To my amazement there was an announcement that North America's largest Drive In would be opening...a mere 7 minutes away from my home! Hurray. Since it's been open (about 5 years) the kids have loved going. It has mini-golf, the classic concession stand, it's right on the lake and perhaps best of all it has the old Drive In feel where you have families watching out the back of their wagons...sorry...Mini-Vans/Suvs...people sitting in lawn chairs they bring with them, even some people barbecuing. Love it! I saw Star Trek at this drive in. Certainly the sound and image would be significantly improved in either a good home theater or a good indoor commercial theater. But I wouldn't have traded the experience.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I saw a film at a drive-in recently. It was an experience, with the stuff R Harkness mentions, but also constant movement of cars with lights coming on (a multiplex; people fed up with the film in theater 5 go over to theater 6 to see if they like that one better), talking college students en masse, etc. Also, since there were now six screens where there were once two, screens were not all in a hollow- some were uphill. You had to position your car just so on the ripples in the asphalt to be able to see over the car in front of you.

Still, recalling drive-ins of old, there were good black levels since the projectors were nearer the screens. But the distractions meant that you really didn't want to see subtle films that rely on mood. Comedies- and rambunctious ones at that- and blowed-up-real-good actioners are probably the only suitable candidates for these sort of theaters. Fortunately/unfortunately, these are about the only movies being made these days.

In fact, what I miss from the better old days of the seventies, probably the greatest single decade for cinema, are regular infusion of great foreign movies and lots of movies not targeted to teens and twenty-somethings. I miss how back then a lot of the great filmmakers were still alive and putting out interesting movies. There were fewer movie theaters, but the theaters didn't just all show the same set of fifteen or so current films. There used to be repertory theaters that showed the movies of yesteryear. Home consumption optical media now fill that niche.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
(This thread keeps pulling me back in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/16885870

In fact, what I miss from the better old days of the seventies, probably the greatest single decade for cinema, are regular infusion of great foreign movies and lots of movies not targeted to teens and twenty-somethings. I miss how back then a lot of the great filmmakers were still alive and putting out interesting movies. There were fewer movie theaters, but the theaters didn't just all show the same set of fifteen or so current films. There used to be repertory theaters that showed the movies of yesteryear. Home consumption optical media now fill that niche.

Oh man do I know what you mean!

That is probably the single biggest reason I have such a fondness for 70's film. There was so much great stuff aimed at thinking adults. And featuring mature adults! Even these days when you get an intelligent movie, it usually has to have a twenty-something in the lead. Just compare that to so many of the movies of the past that are considered great and you see how much older the leads, and general cast, tend to be.

Ah...the cult of youth. (Even when I was in my twenties, though, I still bemoaned the lack of maturity in movies).

There are still quite a number of thoughtful movies being made. But they tend to be smaller in scale (not to mention there are many good foreign movies). And, as you say, it's harder to find places to see them commercially these days.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts