AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly a stupid question, but I've had my eye on the following 40" LCD from Sony:

KDL-40XBR9

Approximate Dimensions:

With Pedestal

Height: 25-5/8"

Width: 37-7/8"

Depth: 12"

The problem is that it has to be able to fit within a cabinet above my fireplace which measures in at about 39" width (give or take a few centimeters). As I mentioned in the thread title -- I want the largest TV possible for the space; not just for the larger screen size (seating is about 12 ft from the cabinet), but for aesthetic reasons as well. Smaller TVs leave a pretty substantial gap between the TV and the side walls of the white cabinet (something that irks my fiancé and -- admittedly -- is a bit of an eyesore to me as well).
  • Height and depth won't be a problem, as the cabinet was designed for CRTs.
  • The cabinet is built-in above the fireplace in the center of our living room. Its location draws a lot of attention, hence our desire for a TV that looks a little more streamlined.

BTW, I used Crutchfield's "TV Fit Finder" to find TVs that will fit within a 39" cabinet, and the Sony KDL-40XBR9 didn't show up in the list. The only two 40" LCDs returned, were the Mitsubishi LT-40151. But maybe this was because the Sony is relatively new???

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
140 Posts
If what you'd write about the inside width of your cabinet is true you should have no problem. Should be a perfect fit.

The only possible issue you might have is with the HDMI ports. The unit has four inputs, including one on the rear and three on the side. The side ports are recessed, but you should go see a set in person to see if they're recessed enough so you'll have the room to access and use them.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Time to grab your trusty tape measure and head over to Best Buy or Sears. I just measured my Samsung LN40B550 and it's width is as reported on BB's website 38 7/10". The 40" Sony S5100 and V5100 also seem to be a good size. If you want the extra fatures, the Sony W5100 is even slightly smaller due to it's slim bezel design. Some of the 40" Sammys are wider because of their pretty bezels.

Head on over to a B&M store, measure and look behind the TVs to see where the ports are located. Have fun... and remember... if at first you don't make the best choice... you can always return/exchange with no hassle.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
there's more than just the physical fit to consider. there is also the added ventilation-air space recommended. download the user manuals of the sets you are considering to get those recommendations. they are important.

TVbc

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16930036

I knew sooner or later, sumbody was going to say but-but.

The guy says the space is specifically designed for a CRT. If it works for a CRT, am sure it's good enuff for a FP. Ventilation wise.

no, he says "... I want the largest TV possible for the space..." and he wants little to no space at the sides for aesthetic reasons. and..."Height and depth won't be a problem, as the cabinet was designed for CRTs. " but what size CRT?

side ventilation is important for proper air flow, as is top and back, that's why set manufacturer's publish the specs. poor circulation equals heat build up which equals not so goo. you may be sure it's good enuff, but so ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply folks.

To answer some of your questions:

Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate the television in stores, as of yet, so I can't take a measurement in person.

The 3x HDMI ports on the side aren't much of a concern of mine. Initially, I was thinking of investing in a HDMI switch, or an audio receiver with HDMI pass-thru. As JChin has mentioned, the port savers may be an option as well.

There should hopefully be enough ventilation, as there will be a good gap above and below the screen, and about 2+ feet of space behind the TV. The cabinet held a good sized 36" (or possibly 34") Sony WEGA CRT for years without issue (literally nearly consumed the entire space), and currently houses a 37" Sharp LCD (broken... dropped during move). The cabinet is also aluminum (beneath a thin layer of plaster), which I suppose might help with heat dissipation. The fireplace will never be used.

If it's not too expensive, we're now debating having the cabinet lopped off of the top of the (gas)fireplace, after learning a few others in the building have done so. The fireplace and cabinet are "one-piece", so it will require quite a lot of work to ensure it's done properly and safely.

If we decide to go through with the purchase, I'll upload photos of the final installation (if it fits)

Thanks for your help, folks.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Compare the dimensions given by the vendor, and actually download the manual from Sony, the last chapter of which is where the specifications are. If the two number matches, good chances are, that's what it is. And compare the english dimension as well as the metric.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts