AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Onkyo 504 refurb from shoponkyo last week, and my speakers just came in. But before I even had it hooked up to anything, I had my cell phone charger in the back outlet (was running out of outlets). When I turned the receiver on to turn on the charger, it started up fine but then shutoff, the red standby light was just blinking. The manual says that if the AV receiver turns off as soon as it turns on, the amp protection circuit has been activated; remove the power cord for an hour and reconnect, try again.

I did that, waited for what must have been about an hour and tried again, but the same thing happened. The receiver was fine when I first got it, it was working fine when I just played around with it not hooked up to anything, and it charged my phone fine a couple nights ago. The outlet on the receiver is rated to 100 W and 1 amp. The phone charger states it's only 7 W and 400 mA, so it's not like it was putting a strain on it.

Any ideas? I can keep waiting to see what happens. What is suppose to happen, the amp protection circuit should deactivate? I'd hate to send it in right now.

·
Read the FAQ!
37,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy /forum/post/0

I just received my Onkyo 504 refurb from shoponkyo last week, and my speakers just came in. But before I even had it hooked up to anything, I had my cell phone charger in the back outlet (was running out of outlets). When I turned the receiver on to turn on the charger, it started up fine but then shutoff, the red standby light was just blinking. The manual says that if the AV receiver turns off as soon as it turns on, the amp protection circuit has been activated; remove the power cord for an hour and reconnect, try again.

I did that, waited for what must have been about an hour and tried again, but the same thing happened. The receiver was fine when I first got it, it was working fine when I just played around with it not hooked up to anything, and it charged my phone fine a couple nights ago. The outlet on the receiver is rated to 100 W and 1 amp. The phone charger states it's only 7 W and 400 mA, so it's not like it was putting a strain on it.

Any ideas? I can keep waiting to see what happens. What is suppose to happen, the amp protection circuit should deactivate? I'd hate to send it in right now.

Typically the reason for this is that you have shorted one of the speaker outputs. The receiver is shutting down to protect it's power amp output circuits.

If you have speakers connected, carefully check BOTH ENDS of each speaker cable. It only takes one loose "hair" of wire across the two connections to short things out.

If you have no speakers connected, carefully check the speaker outputs on the receiver to make sure you didn't have a hair of wire break off and stay behind -- shorting the outputs.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If that doesn't do it for you, then take the amp to an entirely different room (to get it on a different wall circuit) and try turning it on there without connecting it to anything. It is possible it is shutting down because you have so much else on that particular circuit that the current draw when the receiver turns on is lowering the voltage and the amp is detecting that as an internal problem. If that's the case then you may need to come up with a different way to get power to all your stuff, or at the very least be more careful as to when they all turn on.

Of course your phone charger could be faulty, but it would pretty strange for something like a phone charger to draw enough current to cause the receiver to shut down.

--Bob

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am not sure if this is your issue or not but something like that happened to my Sony 333ES once. It turns out there was a fuse inside the unit that blew. I took it out and brought it to an electrical supply store (only place that had something even close) and they were able to give me something that worked.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it seems like it could be something like that. i turn it on, it starts up fine, everything looks good, i can adjust the volume and hit any button and its respective function works, but after ~2-3 seconds the display shuts off and red stand-by button starts blinking. then i can hit the power button again and it starts up fine then another two seconds and it shuts off blinking again.

it just seems like if there's a short or a blown fuse that it wouldn't do anything at all. i'll leave it unplugged overnight and try again tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath; i'll probably have to call onkyo and see what my options are.

·
Read the FAQ!
37,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy /forum/post/0

Thanks for the tips. I did everything you said but still no go. Unfortunately, it did this before I even hooked up any speaker wire. After giving it three hours unplugged it still hasn't come back.

I think you've likely done everything you can do on your own. If you have a warranty on this unit, it's time to take advantage of it.

--Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.