AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just ordered a new couch and love seat for our basement. Unfortunately for whatever reason I thought our basement door was a 36" door. I measured the other night and found out it was only a 32" x 80 door. Now I'm worried that the couch and love seat won't fit. If I remember correctly the backs don't come off.

The dimensions are 84"W x 42"D x 41"H. Here's a link if you want to see what it looks like, http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/Showr...ItemNo=4743388

I'm thinking it might squeeze through if the couch is angled around 45 degrees but I might be wrong. There is a hallway in which the couch will need to be stood up on end to get it to the door but the ceiling is high enough it shouldn't be an issue. The actual fitting through the door to take it downstairs is what I'm worried about.

We did move a standard size love seat into the basement when we first moved in and then we moved it out again later on with no trouble. But I'm not sure what the dimensions of that loveseat were. The new furniture might be bigger.

What do you guys think? The new furniture isn't coming for another week and a half so I can cancel it and pick out new stuff if I have to. I'd rather not though as we looked for a long time before we found something we both really liked.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I've been really sweating this. The last thing I want to do is pick a different set of furniture. We both love the set we bought. I think I'll even go as far as taking the door jambs off if I have to get it in. The legs are part of the medal frame underneath I believe so I don't think removing them is an option. You can see the frame underneath the couch in the picture in the link I posted.

Paolomaldini,

How did you come up with the 28" width? I tried figuring out the math but Geometry is not my thing.

I know the couch will need to be stood up on edge and then tilted bottom first through the door because the door is in a hallway. But the ceiling is tall enough to stand it up on end so there's no problem there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bdf24,

I just used some simple triangle formulas to get there estimating about 40 inches for each side of the triangle. It's a rough guess. It should go through a 32 inch door as long as you can stand it up and you don't have to turn it much.

Word of caution: Be careful of Ashley. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but they are rated quite low in terms of quality of construction and they have a tendency to lie about delivery dates. Check out their consumer complaints online. Not pretty.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I never thought Ashley was great. We just happened to stop there last minute on the day we were looking and found this set. From what I can see it's pretty nice, everything feels pretty solid. I will tell you this though. If they miss the delivery date by more than a day I will cancel and go somewhere else! I wasn't happy in the first place about having it delivered two weeks out from when we purchased it.

At least they gave us free shipping on this set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To me the set looks like the backs come off. Usually clips that best opened with 2 screwdrivers as they pinch the fingers. Worst case scenerio the peices can come of the frame and be re-attached with ease so you could bring each in as a chair and re-assemble as a couch and loveseat. You shouldn't have a problem at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieThePuppet /forum/post/18186864

To me the set looks like the backs come off. Usually clips that best opened with 2 screwdrivers as they pinch the fingers. Worst case scenerio the peices can come of the frame and be re-attached with ease so you could bring each in as a chair and re-assemble as a couch and loveseat. You shouldn't have a problem at all.

Thanks for the input; I'll keep that in mind. The furniture is being delivered on Friday; I can't wait! Right now all we have down there is a recliner, and it's not very comfortable. It's a little hard to watch movies down there now for more than one person.

Little by little it's all coming together. All I need now is 6 pine doors, 4 to 6 barstools, mini fridge, and the list goes on
Oh, and I have to start on the bathroom too, which is only framed in right now. We wanted the extra room to entertain first so the bathroom was put on hold until the end since it's going to be a fairly large expense.

Man, it's never ending. I'm starting to think by the time it's all done we'll be ready to sell the house and I won't be able to enjoy it! We started the build in November of 2008 so I guess it's been moving along ok. Most of my friends who did their basements took 2 to 3 years to complete.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdf24 /forum/post/18192764

Thanks for the input; I'll keep that in mind. The furniture is being delivered on Friday; I can't wait! Right now all we have down there is a recliner, and it's not very comfortable. It's a little hard to watch movies down there now for more than one person.

Little by little it's all coming together. All I need now is 6 pine doors, 4 to 6 barstools, mini fridge, and the list goes on
Oh, and I have to start on the bathroom too, which is only framed in right now. We wanted the extra room to entertain first so the bathroom was put on hold until the end since it's going to be a fairly large expense.

Man, it's never ending. I'm starting to think by the time it's all done we'll be ready to sell the house and I won't be able to enjoy it! We started the build in November of 2008 so I guess it's been moving along ok. Most of my friends who did their basements took 2 to 3 years to complete.

Well by trade I am a furniture repair man (working with my father). If that paticular set has velcro in the back at the bottom where the chair meets the back the backs will be easy to remove . If it's material is stapled at the back it is more a bother than anything else. You could use a tool called an extractor to remove the staples ans still remove the backs but thats more of an inconvienence. The alternative like I said earlier each portion LHF(Left Hand Facing), Center, RHF (Right Hand Facing). can be remove from the track and brough in individually. Don;t know why I repeated but oh well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply. I feel much better knowing that I have options if it won't fit through the door. I would think a number of bolts taken out will allow me to separate the sections you mentioned. That sounds easy enough.

I was thinking of removing the door jambs if I needed the extra room to get it through. I've hung doors before so it's not like I would be destroying the door to get the furniture in; but taking the couch apart sounds easier.

Thanks again

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

Sorry guys, all that worry for nothing. The furniture was delivered this morning and it took them all of maybe 10 or 15 minutes to get it all in and in the basement. The dimensions from Ashley were a bit over bloated by a few inches. Once the couch was stood up on end it slid right through the basement door way underneath the door jam. There were even a few inches to spare! It hardly even touched the sides of the jam.

Now I wish I would have bought two full couches instead of a couch and loveseat. The room is pretty big and the loveseat looks a little small. I tried talking my wife into this in the first place because the difference in price was about $15. But she didn't want two couches, I think you all know how that is, what the wife says goes

Once we get everything exactly where we want it I'll post a few pictures.

Thanks for all your advice.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hey, remember how they got it in. When I lived in an apartment I had a sofa delivered and the guys just whipped it in there like it was nothing. When I tried to move, we could not get it out no matter how hard we tried. We ended up damaging a wall and had to shoot the thing off a second floor balcony to someone standing in the bed of a pickup truck to get it out. Good times!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L /forum/post/18209542

Hey, remember how they got it in. When I lived in an apartment I had a sofa delivered and the guys just whipped it in there like it was nothing. When I tried to move, we could not get it out no matter how hard we tried. We ended up damaging a wall and had to shoot the thing off a second floor balcony to someone standing in the bed of a pickup truck to get it out. Good times!

Thanks, I will. They actually didn't need to even do anything out of the ordinary. All they did was tip the couch up on end, slide it in front of the basement door, then slid it through the door bottom first. It looked easy enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.