AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like I (along with my wife) will join the legions of Sony SXRD rear-projection display owners who have been bitten by the "Green Blob/Haze" poison -- we have been running our KDS-50A2020 with absolutely no problems (save for changing one lamp in its life, which comes along with having a projection display or projector) since we bought it some nine or so years ago, and just today I flipped it on to watch an HBO On Demand show to find the screen patchy with that green/yellow blobbing through it; the problem doesn't seem severe yet, but obviously this set is going...

I wonder now -- being that we wanted to upgrade this screen anyway to a larger one -- if I should try and have the TV repaired via Sony (if they're still honoring that replacement program with the defective SXRDs) or if I should look to a new LCD in a larger size; being that this has to fit into an entertainment center, it looks like the largest we'll be able to go with is a 60-inch or MAYBE, with squeezing, a 65-inch...

First of all, should I just opt for the new LCD, do you guys think? If so, would I notice an "improvement" over my rear-projection screen I've been watching for so long? Will Blu-rays "jump" off the screen more with better clarity and detail, do you think? Additionally, if I were to go with a new LCD, what would you guys recommend (I don't think we can afford one of the 4K displays in these larger sizes right now, but if the technology does take off, we can always try to save up for a large 4K down the road and put this new LCD we get now into the master bedroom)? What brand or model should I be looking at within the 60 to 65-inch range?

Oh, and also -- should we experience a better "impact" at our 12-foot seating distance moving from the 50-inch SXRD to a 65 (at most)-inch LCD? Will films seem "bigger" in front of us with the new screen?

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts
I would suggest the 60" Sony KDL-60W850B at BB for $1,200. It has a VA panel like my 55W800B which i'm very happy with (and i'm a hardcore Plasma guy). These VA models get very good reviews at BB and Amazon and owners in the W600B/W800B/W850B thread seem pretty happy with it. They have great Contrast ratios and good black levels, and my W800B has great screen uniformity.

They are at or near the end of production so prices are at their lowest. BB still shows it in stock but it's no longer available at Sony's online store so if you decide to get this you might want to do it very soon. The newer version of this model are due out sometime in the next few months and will debut at a much higher price.

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suggest the 60" Sony KDL-60W850B at BB for $1,200. It has a VA panel like my 55W800B which i'm very happy with (and i'm a hardcore Plasma guy). These VA models get very good reviews at BB and Amazon and owners in the W600B/W800B/W850B thread seem pretty happy with it. They have great Contrast ratios and good black levels, and my W800B has great screen uniformity.

They are at or near the end of production so prices are at their lowest. BB still shows it in stock but it's no longer available at Sony's online store so if you decide to get this you might want to do it very soon. The newer version of this model are due out sometime in the next few months and will debut at a much higher price.

Thank you very much for the response and suggestion, Randy; it's much appreciated...I will keep this Sony in mind...

The ironic thing is, when I went to turn the TV on just this evening during dinner, the green/yellow distortion I noticed earlier was gone...this is really weird...if this was my SXRD's optical block failing, would it have returned to looking "normal" like that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been looking at the Vizio M602i-B3 to replace a failing 60" Samsung rear projection. I already have a Vizio 70" E701i-A3 in my theater room that performs well. It does have some problems with bright dots that started after my warranty ended but they are limited to the very low left corner of the screen and are only noticeable to me. It's not enough to turn me off of the brand completely but enough to make me look at other sets to replace this Samsung which has performed flawlessly for 7 years. The problem is I cannot find a 60" TV that is recommended and gets good reviews other than the Vizio for less than $1000. The good reviews and recommendations are mostly due to the Vizio having backlight zones as far as I can tell. I have never had this feature so I don't know how much weight to put behind having it. The Samsung UN60H6350 looks nice as well but is edge lit.

TLDR, I can't decide between the Vizio M602i-B3 and Samsung UN60H6350

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 1080i...

I was skeptical about the Vizios as well, thinking this was a brand that really started as "bedroom TV worthy" and not one to consider for a main theater room display, but I'm hearing better things about their sets...the thing is right now, we are on a strapped budget and are trying to find something that would be affordable at a rather large 60 to 65-inch size...

Here's the funny thing though: My Sony SXRD rear-pro ISN'T displaying that yellow/green distortion now like it was when I first posted this thread -- SO weird; I don't know if it just means the optical block is slowly going, but as of right this second, getting a new display isn't an extreme emergency like just a day or so ago...

·
Registered
557 Posts
My 60A3000 started failing almost two years ago. I was planning on buying 4K but prices were a bit high and I wanted to wait until the 2nd gen models came out in 2014. Some of the QC problems playing the panel lottery and HDMI chipset issues made me wait another year.

Now everything looks like I'm watching it in the Matrix. I use a Sony HMZ-T1 when I'm alone to watch movies and game but I definitely plan on buying a new set this year. 4K OLED is my first choice but pricing will be the deciding factor. I want to like the Samsung JS9500 but when I saw the curve on the HU9000 last year, it was a huge negative for me. Still waiting to see what we get from Panasonic and Vizio.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I can tell you, you'll certainly notice a great jump in picture quality. Nothing like getting a nice, vibrant LCD panel when compared to an old rear projection set, with the dim, poor viewing angles.

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, everyone else who chimed in with thoughts and opinions...

Mr. East Side (love you avatar, BTW) -- the LCD panel would definitely yield an improved picture over the SXRD, you think?

Should we notice a significant "impact" difference moving from a 50 to a 60 or 65-inch at 12 feet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 60A2000 has turned yellow as well :(

I called two repair shops and one guy laughed at me (told me he hasn't fixed an optical block in years) and the other told me I'd be better off buying a new TV (repairs would be in the $6-700 range).

I'm debating between the Samsung 8550 and the Sony 850B in the 65 inch variety.

·
Registered
17,113 Posts
My 60A2000 has turned yellow as well :(

I called two repair shops and one guy laughed at me (told me he hasn't fixed an optical block in years) and the other told me I'd be better off buying a new TV (repairs would be in the $6-700 range).

I'm debating between the Samsung 8550 and the Sony 850B in the 65 inch variety.
Having owned both I would get the 8550 And Add the new one connect upgrade in april itll give you 2015 processing and better colors.

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny enough, fellas, the greenish/yellowish staining I was seeing seems to be gone...VERY weird...

This may just mean that the OB is on its way out and this intermittent behavior is a sign, but I would still like to get a bigger sized screen in there...we just don't have the budget...:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts