AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have the HSU VTF-3.3 and this thing is a awesome sub, but I want to add more pounding and of course trying to do this on budget without any out of pocket.

I have a Best Buy Credit Card and they have this on sale right now.

MTX - 15" 250-Watt Powered Subwoofer
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MTX+-+15...&skuId=7573583

Would the MTX be worth it or not ?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
^+1. If you want an extra sub get another of the same. You can make different brands play nice together but it's a bit of work to do so. Plus you won't get a lot of added OOMPH. What you'll get is a smoothing out of frequency coverage throughout the room due to better coverage.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,

No MTX and that's for sure. Thanks for the replies as you folks are the pros. Ok, so what is going to come close to the VTF 3.3 ?

I really can't afford another one right now.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Save up the money and pay cash for something really good. Using a credit card for something as unnecessary as a subwoofer isn't a very good idea IMHO. In our household we use credit card for emergencies only.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando /forum/post/20903016

Whats the most you are willing to spend now and must it be from best buy?

My thinking was to get another Sub and put it on the Best Buy CC so I wouldn't be out of any right now monies. I'm just hungry for some more bass !

I think what I'm going to do is just back off of this idea for now and save up for another HSU.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/20903107

Do yourself a favor. Save up the money and pay cash for something really good. Using a credit card for something as unnecessary as a subwoofer isn't a very good idea IMHO. In our household we use credit card for emergencies only.

Yep,

I agree with you on your post about saving up for something as good as the HSU. However, your household and mine are two different places (so please don't compare the two) and I see nothing wrong with using a Credit Card to make a purchase on a Sub or anything else.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando /forum/post/20904498

And if you wait, you may snag an LFM-1 EX on sale for $550 shipped. This would be an even closer match to your VTF3.

http://outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

Thanks as I will keep these Outlaw Subs in mind when the time comes, which hopefully will be soon.

550.00 shipped for that Sub looks like a good deal to me.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Have you placed your sub in the best spot? Often times proper placement will go a long way towards satiating that audio disease called upgradeitis. It can be treated but never cured.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90
Have you placed your sub in the best spot? Often times proper placement will go a long way towards satiating that audio disease called upgradeitis. It can be treated but never cured.
I hope I have it placed in the right spot as I did my best. That VTF 3.3 is monster in every way including moving it around.

I moved the couch and placed the sub in it's place, did the Sub Crawl, and used the Rat shack SPL-Meter.

Volume knob on sub is @ 10-o'clock position.

One port plugged and set to max extension.

So the sub ended up in the back corner of my HT Room and about 5-feet away from my sweet spot.

I did notice during the sub crawl there were bass nulls in that room. Middle ways on the right and left side walls and in the center back of the room.

Don't get me wrong as the VTF 3.3 is a slamming Sub and one of the best that I have ever owned.

That sub is rattling the outside gutters when I step outside.

Still wanting more bass and that is why I asked about the MTX Sub that apparently is a not so good for my set up.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Have you tried putting the 3.3 nearfield? Like, behind your sofa or something. You'll get a more tactile feel with the bass and you'll likely perceive that there's more of it. Or, maybe consider one of their MBM's for more mid-bass response?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood
Have you tried putting the 3.3 nearfield? Like, behind your sofa or something. You'll get a more tactile feel with the bass and you'll likely perceive that there's more of it. Or, maybe consider one of their MBM's for more mid-bass response?
Well I thought 5-feet would be considered near-field or close to it ? I can feel the bass real good right now.

I don't want to put it behind the couch as there is a null spot there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just realize that the same amount of money you now spend for powerful bass will be needed later for hearing aids. Lol

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDuck /forum/post/20905687

Just realize that the same amount of money you now spend for powerful bass will be needed later for hearing aids. Lol

Well,

I'll take my chances just as many others on this site are doing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.