AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CRT FP just bit the dust and for less than the price to fix it I can grab an LT150. Now I have not seen one, but have read some pretty decent reveiws.

I have a couple of questions I was wondering if someone could answer...

With the CRT I am feeding it from a HTPC. VGA to 5BNC at 1024x768 (72Hz). With PowerDvD I uncheck "keep aspect ratio" and use the vert. size control on the projector to squeeze the image back to proper aspect ratio. How is this acheived on the LT150, or am I looking at setting up custom aspect ratio's?

Those who own one, do you use it for everyday viewing and if so, how is the bulb life?

Any shortcoming to the projector I should be aware of or other (around the same price) units I should be looking at?

Thanks,

- Brian

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Bulb life is 1000 hrs (will go to 1200 hours before it refuses to start per manual). You can get around it by resetting the hours counter. However, you are running the risk of an exploding bulb which may damage the projector. The new LT150Z has economy mode that should be comparable to LT150 normal, and they say 1500 hours in economy mode. I would think 1500 hrs on LT150 will be safe, but beware...

Bulb prices have come down so it is not as expensive as it was, but still at $300, it is not cheap. So figure bulb price at $0.20 to $0.30 per hour (1500hrs - 1000hrs).

Obvious short coming is rainbows. Not everyone sees them and then it might be only very occasionally. The screen seems to have something to do with it. I have not seen one on a DIY Blackout cloth screen. If you can, view one before you buy.

I don't use mine for day to day yet. I mainly use it for DVDs. I am in the process of moving satellite and cable from the living room to the theater. I understand cable is not so great, satellite is better. I probably will only add football and HBO/Showtime to usage on the projector. I have a 36" TV for the rest.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I went from a Zenith CRT to the LT150 and I'm quite happy with it.

The LT150 has a Cinema Aspect Ratio mode which properly squeezes 16:9 or anamorphic DVD signals so that it looks correct. Its not a native 16L9 projector, but it looks fine. Since its 1024x768 natively, in cinema mode it only uses the middle 1024x576 pixels.

Bulb life is an issue....I use mine for regular TV viewing, which averages maybe 2-3 hrs a day. At that rate, I'll get at least a year per bulb. With bulbs now at ~$300 its pretty comparable to some other projectors (with longer but more expensive bulbs).

Consider that retrofitting new tubes into my CRT projector would cost me $1200-1500, I'm happy with the NEC costs.

I initially thought I'd upgrade to something better within a year, now I'm not so sure. This little sucker amazes me.

-Dave

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree with everything Dave has said with one suggestion. You can literally change the LT150 into a "new" projector by upgrading to a Da-lite Hipower screen and a HTPC at some point, if you haven't already done this. After this add an anamorphic lens for a more subtle improvement and you satisfy the itch for something new without having to move to a new expensive projector, at least for awhile.

These "improvements" work nicely with just about any DLP projector and don't have to be expensive and can again be used with your new projector down the road - an investment in your HT future enjoyment.

Why am I always itchy? ;)

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Grant,

Have you ever seen a Da-Lite screen with a Davis 450 clone?

I have one and use a painted 4x3 board that does incredible. I did numerous test on drapery fabric and differnt paints. The only things I haven't tried is the grey paint idea and the professional screen material.

I would like more brightness but I don't want to loose blacklevel or introduce blueish grey blacks.

Tim

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
bmckay,

I would heartily recommend that you see one in action if at all possible before deciding. I bought one on the Dell deal a while back exclusively for watching satellite TV through my HTPC and it was rainbow city. So I sold mine and bought a nice LCD projector instead. DVDs seem to exhibit this to a far lesser extent. In addition, the degree to which people seem to be affected by rainbow varies.

You probably would not be happy if you were banking on this technology to be your chief source of viewing enjoyment and were susecptible to rainbow.

Lastly, being a CRT owner you may find the picture of the LT-150 something less than what you are used to. Especially if you have a nice 8" or 9" CRT. IMO, the LT-150 does a fairly respectable job with black, but it does not produce the depth of field nor the smooth film like appearance of a good CRT system. If these traits are important to you then you may find the LT-150 a disappointment.

--Jerome

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use it for DVD only and feed it a signal from an htpc.

I am sensitive to rainbows and I find that they are very infrequent burst on a very short duration. In other words, with an htpc based signal, its great.

find a place to see one. There are so many around, perhaps another avs member lives close to you and would be pleased to show it to you.

Warren Feldstein

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I am also in the market for this projector, I would very much appreciate any information on where I could view it in New York City. I'll kindly reciprocate any help. Thanks in advance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.