AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a detatched garage that has been completely converted into an entertainment room. The size is 397 square feet. The home theater system takes up half of this space while the other half is a hobbie area for my GF. (she does scrap booking and crafts in that area).

I currently have a very old Kenwood 5.0 Home theater receiver that I bought new back in the late 90's. It has served me well over the years but in all fairness it has been WAY behind the times for years now. Kenwood KR-V6070 with a set of DCM loud speakers in front, rear and center.

What can I say; it's time to spend some money but I can't spend a lot.

I now own a Sony 1080p Blu ray player, a 37" 1080P LCD and I want a home theater system that will work well in a small area.

I've always been against HTiB systems but I have to admit that the

Onkyo HT-SR800 seems to be a nice system for the money. The major draw back is no True HD ot DTS HD. My BR player can output True HD so I don't think I need a receiver that can do it but it would be nice.

That said I have also been leaning more towards just buying some new entry level speakers and a decent receiver.

So far I have put together this:

Onkyo TX-SR605

Front: Polk Audio R-50

Rear: Polk Audio R-50

Center: Polk Audio CSR

Sub: Polk Audio PSW110

This would run me $970 before tax and shipping.

Later I'd buy some Polk book shelf speakers to complete the 7.1 setup.

If I went with the Onkyo HTiB system for $424.99 I would save some money but of course have a system not as nice.

I guess what I'm asking is for my small space maybe the HTiB would work wonderfully and it would be all that I need. Of course I would rather save money. Then again would the system I pieced together be much better? Would it be a very nice upgrade over the Onkyo HT-SR800?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I would go for the separate system, especially with a br player, the receiver in the 800 package will not accept audio over HDMI.

Also I think R50s for the rears are overkill, not as much information gets sent to the rears so I'd go with the matching R150s and save the bucks. For the sub I think you can do better than the PSW110 for the money. The Bic H-100 imo is a much better choice for around $200 + shipping. Otherwise looks like a killer budget setup.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/12915266

I would go for the separate system, especially with a br player, the receiver in the 800 package will not accept audio over HDMI.

Also I think R50s for the rears are overkill, not as much information gets sent to the rears so I'd go with the matching R150s and save the bucks. For the sub I think you can do better than the PSW110 for the money. The Bic H-100 imo is a much better choice for around $200 + shipping. Otherwise looks like a killer budget setup.

I found the R50's for $59.99 each and that is why I decided to grab them for the rear. That and I wouldn't need stands. I can buy the R150's for about $20-$40 less depending on where I buy. I guess it doesn't matter. I can pick up the R150's but then I'll have to buy stands which could end up costing me more than just buying the R50's. Hmmmm.

I've been online searching for the Bic H-100 for $200 and I have had no luck so far. Most have it selling for more than the Polk Audio PSW110. The Bic H-100 has a 12" sub correct? Just making sure I'm not looking at the wrong thing.

I know that buying all these items and piecing it together is the way to go but I admit spending double the money is going to kill me. I don't have a lot of extra money so it's important to save where possible.

Thanks for your input!

CCR3; I have no idea what you meant.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got nearly the exact same system - except I have Polk R150's as the rears, and a Bic H-100 for the sub. The Bic sub will kill that Polk anyday, and that's no joke. They're so close in price, it's not even a contest IMO - go with the Bic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get the Onkyo HT-SP908 for about $750-. It comes with the Onkyo TX-SR605, the speakers are excellent for the price point, comparable to the Polks. If you decide you don't like them, you can always upgrade down the road.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You can get the Bic at ebay. their are 2 authorized sellers, accounsicsounddesign and sound distrubitors or something close, do a search and it should be easy to find. They both have a make an offer option that offers get accepted at $200 and above.

As far as stands for the rears with R150s yeah it probably would be a wash price wise with the R50s so that would make it just preference.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnian /forum/post/12923442

Get the Onkyo HT-SP908 for about $750-. It comes with the Onkyo TX-SR605, the speakers are excellent for the price point, comparable to the Polks.

though i've never heard these particular onkyo speakers, my experience with onkyo HTIB speakers makes it hard to believe that they would be comparable to even entry level polks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cost to buy everything that I want is under 1k. The one item I did not mention is that I will be buying the Polk r50's for the rear and also (later on) I'll be buying the pol r150's for the secondary rear. I plan to run a 7.1 system. I failed to mention that in my original post because I plan to run 5.1 at first and add the extra speakers later once I decide where to put them behind my couch.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/12915266

I agree with Jakeman02 100%. You can check out he thread on entry level system for apartment. There's been an discussions of various alternatives to HTIB for people working with modest budgets. On the whole though, I think Jakeman's correct. You don't really need to the R50's for the rear. The 150's will serve you just fine. Definitely stay away for the PSW110. Polk is NOT known for their subs for good reason. I also recommend the BIC H-100. watt for watt, is the best sub for $250 or less. I also like the Dayton Sub-120 with the polks, although it requires some tweaks to get it just right. In any case, the moral of this story is that you're better off saving money on your rears and putting it into your sub.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnian /forum/post/12923442

Get the Onkyo HT-SP908 for about $750-. It comes with the Onkyo TX-SR605, the speakers are excellent for the price point, comparable to the Polks. If you decide you don't like them, you can always upgrade down the road.

I know the Onkyo speakers well (i have heard them in 3 different homes since it's such a popular system). They are nice sounding, well made speaker for an HTIB. However, they aren't even close to the Polk R50's and the sub in the package is decent for an HTIB sub, but nothing to write home about.

If you're getting the R50's for $59 bucks, buy them!!! Don't wait around. As far as subs go, the BIC is the best sub under $250 in my opinion. It's got globs of power and it's a nice tight bass. If you can't afford it now, get the polks and wait a couple of months until you can afford the Bic. However, if you really just don't want to go up to $250 on the price, you can consider the Dayton Sub-120,which is sold through Parts Express for around $140 shipped, no tax. I am using a sub-120 in my main system and I'll be the first to admit that it's not the tightest bass in the world, but it's certainly a very nice, respectable sub and for $140 bucks, you are getting a a 12" woofer a really nicely made 150 watt RMS amp (that's real wattage, not peak wattage like many companies post--if you want to compare it to most companies that post peak output, it is about 280-300 watts). It's a solid, well built sub for the money and does a great job on HT out of the box. It can be a bit boomy for music, but this is easily remedied by stuffing one of the two rear ports with an old t-shirt. I still recommend the BIC, but I don't think the Dayton is a bad choice if you're a really limited in how much you're willing to spend. Frankly, I am pretty darn happy with my dayton and if I want to tighten up the bass and add power, I can buy a second dayton sub-120 for another $140 ($280 total) and blow my house off the foundation (the Dayton can literally rattle windows and knock pictures off the wall).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a great post Thanks set2374!

I know very well that building my rig myself is better over all than just buying a HTiB system. At the same time I do not require a massive audio/home theater system. The room it will be in is small and I'm only using half of the space to place the entire system. Half of 397 square feet is not a lot but of course the size of the entire room will affect the way the speakers and sub sound.

I'm betting for my needs that the Onkyo HT-SP908 would more than do the job. I bet it would sound leaps and bounds better than what I have now. But in the end if I spend $750 for the Onkyo HT-SP908 I may as well toss in another $200 and build the system I really want.

Now I know both of you have stated that the R50 would be a waste for a surround speaker but what you missed is the fact that I do not own speaker stands. I will not be mounting any speakers on the wall (the old lady wont let me). Now the Polk Audio R50 sells right now for $59.99 each and the Polk Audio R150 sells for $79.99 per pair on average. Thats $119.98 for the R50's and $79.99 + $49.99 (speaker stands) for a total of $129.99. So my logic tells me I'm better off buying the R50's for the rear because I can place them on the floor and not have to worry about stands.

Anyway I have decided to take your advice on the sub. I will be buying:

Onkyo TX-SR605 ~ $399.99 (buying in Feb)

Center: Polk Audio CSR ~ $79.99 (buying in Feb)

Front: Polk Audio R-50 ~ $119.98 (buying in Feb)

Rear: Polk Audio R-50 ~ $119.98 (buying in Feb)

secondary rear: Polk Audio R-150 ~ $79.99 (buying in March)

Sub: BIC H-100 ~ $249.99 (buying in March)

Total cost before shipping: ~ $1049.92

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lube /forum/post/12929309

That is a great post Thanks set2374!

I know very well that building my rig myself is better over all than just buying a HTiB system. At the same time I do not require a massive audio/home theater system. The room it will be in is small and I'm only using half of the space to place the entire system. Half of 397 square feet is not a lot but of course the size of the entire room will affect the way the speakers and sub sound.

I'm betting for my needs that the Onkyo HT-SP908 would more than do the job. I bet it would sound leaps and bounds better than what I have now. But in the end if I spend $750 for the Onkyo HT-SP908 I may as well toss in another $200 and build the system I really want.

Now I know both of you have stated that the R50 would be a waste for a surround speaker but what you missed is the fact that I do not own speaker stands. I will not be mounting any speakers on the wall (the old lady wont let me). Now the Polk Audio R50 sells right now for $59.99 each and the Polk Audio R150 sells for $79.99 per pair on average. Thats $119.98 for the R50's and $79.99 + $49.99 (speaker stands) for a total of $129.99. So my logic tells me I'm better off buying the R50's for the rear because I can place them on the floor and not have to worry about stands.

Anyway I have decided to take your advice on the sub. I will be buying:

Onkyo TX-SR605 ~ $399.99 (buying in Feb)

Center: Polk Audio CSR ~ $79.99 (buying in Feb)

Front: Polk Audio R-50 ~ $119.98 (buying in Feb)

Rear: Polk Audio R-50 ~ $119.98 (buying in Feb)

secondary rear: Polk Audio R-150 ~ $79.99 (buying in March)

Sub: BIC H-100 ~ $249.99 (buying in March)

Total cost before shipping: ~ $1049.92

Thanks again for all your help!

Lube, this is definitely an expensive hobby and it's not for everyone. Most people will probably be happy with a sony or samsung HTIB for ~$330. They either won't care or won't notice that it sounds hollow and tinny, with huge frequency holes all over the sound range. As long as the system sounds better than their t.v. speakers (no major feat there), they'll be happy. For people like that, HTIB's are the way to go. Once you get up in the price range (like the more expensive Onkyo HTIB's, Bose systems etc), HTIB's give you a lot less bang for the buck and are overpriced. The Onkyo 605 is a great receiver and you're paying full price for it in the Onkyo HTIB package. The speakers are ok, but really no better than some Pioneer bookshelves that can be had for $40 bucks a pair msrp at CC. The sub is also "OK", but should also cost no more than $75 bucks on its own (all strict retail prices). If you look at it this way, the Onkyo HTIB package is kind of a rip. Yes, it's $250 less, but it should really be a $500 price difference from your package. It's still good (yes, better than your kenwood), but you're definitely doing much better going with separates.

If I were you though, I would jump on the R50's and CSR now. They are being cleared out and it's my understanding the R series has been discontinued. If you wait, you may be missing out on these prices. You can hold off on the receiver if you have to (that's not going anywhere), but the speakers may not be there in february. The Bic isn't being discounted either, so it may be worth your while to wait for a sale. I have seen it on sale for around $200 in the past, but I can't find anything like that right now.

Here's one more suggestion for you. Instead of going with the R50's for your rears, you may want to check out the Fluance Bi-polar surrounds ($99 a pair). http://www.fluance.com/fluanbipsurs.html Most people are under the misconception that 7.1 is always better than 5.1. That's simply not true. Most sound tracks on BDs and DVDs are in 5.1 and it's hard to set up a 7.1 system in most spaces (yours may be the exception). To ideally set up a 7.1 system (for movies), the rear surrounds need to be placed several feet behind the listener and spaced less than 4 feet apart (at least if you are trying to achieve THX type specs for setup). It's hard to do this in most home applications. Also, monitor style speakers (like the R150) project sound in one direction over a narrow field. You can achieve a superior result using a bipole and/or dipole speakers for your surrounds and rears (many bipole/dipole speakers have a switch to change their phase alignment from bipole to dipole). There is a lot of science here that I won't get into unless you (or other people are interested). These fluance bipoles happen to be a pretty good value, so I thought I would suggest them as an option. My little cousin but a 5.0 fluance system for his college dorm and I was really impressed with the build quality and sound (for a mere $250). I gave him my av123 x-sub (awesome little 8 inch sub) as a gift and his system is kicking serious ass. The Polk R series is stilll a better system in my opinion, but when it's gone, I'll be recommending the Fluance system in a big way. I may even get a pair of these fluance bipoles myself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again thanks for the input. I will stay away from Fluance though. I never heard of them and did a google search. The only reviews I find are from users (which don't prove anything to me and can be faked as well) I can not locate a single review by a reputable site. Some people buy these speakers and swear by them but IMO I would prefer to spend a little bit more money for a speaker that is proven good then one that has no real proof or testing done on it that I can find.

Polk Audio R series will do me just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts