Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

Sticking my nose in over here from my usual haunt.

Since I saw it at CES in January, I've been thinking about buying the JVC D'Ahlia 61" LCOS RPTV. I've seen pricing in the sub-8k range, and so that's starting to get into territory I could just barely live with.

I'm wondering if any of the readership here own one of these and would care to comment on it. Picture quality is of course the primary consideration, but I'm also interested in other features (like, does it have a decent scaler, or should I be planning to get one off-board?). How's the screen? Does it have good viewing angle and low reflections of stuff in the room?

Of course, there's all the discussion of DVI/HDCP which has transpired here and elsewhere. This a real stumbling block for me on the "do I buy one?" front, because I don't want to end up betting on this interconnect and then finding out that the industry goes with something else entirely. Is the DVI/HDCP interface compatible with non-HDCP encrypted DVI signal (should such a thing exist)? Is there any other contender for a digital display interface besides DVI? Thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Lastly, I've just become aware of the RCA "Scenium" LCOS. At 50", it's not big enough for my room, but I'd be interested in hearing comparisons of its quality to the D'Ahlia for anybody who has seen both. If the Scenium were somehow superior, I might wait for a larger set.

I know that the right answer here is probably to just wait another year, but the Sony is starting to have interesting picture geometry problems that I worry herald an impending repair, so that's got me thinking along the lines of the repair/replace decision...

TIA

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

[This message has been edited by JustMike (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(bump)

I guess there aren't many owners here yet. Perhaps a few of the experts here could at least comment on the DVI/HDCP question? I'll add one more aspect to that one -- does anybody know what resolutions are supported on the DVI interface? Like, if I hooked up my laptop computer with a DVI output, could I drive the D'Ahlia?

I'd also love to hear from anybody who knows where the **@*&& in the SF Bay Area to find one of these to try out... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks,

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much appreciated! I've also sent my questions to JVC. We'll see if I get back a useful reply! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Mike Kobb

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes, the D'Ahlia is HDCP compliant. I have reviewed the set. The review will be published in the next issue of The Perfect Vision. It will be out in two weeks.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll look forward with bated breath to the review!

I did know that it was DHCP compliant. What I'm hoping to discover is whether its DVI input could also accept non-DHCP signals, and at what resolutions. (For instance, if I wanted to connect to a PC with a DVI video card).

------------------

Mike Kobb

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
When I talked to the JVC reps back in January, they were so unconcerned and uninterested in hooking up a computer they had pretty much nothing to say about the subject. It is clearly not a priority focus of the set.

Mark

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm. You'd think "Home Theater PC" would get their attention. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I know a few folks who are doing the HTPC thing, and while it's not in my immediate plans, I want to leave the door open.

------------------

Mike Kobb

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to follow up on my own posting.

The set is absolutely UNAVAILABLE in the San Francisco/San Jose area. A store called Filco in Sacramento will be receiving one set shortly, and a couple of stores in Los Angeles have them, including Star Club which was mentioned above.

------------------

Mike Kobb

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Looks like I will be the first person with a "Stop DVI/HDCP;Boycott JVC" signature to respond to your post.

But I am not here to dissuade you on the moral grounds. Just to point out that if you want to hook it up to a computer and to a DVI/HDCP set top in the future, you should make sure it has at least two DVI inputs. Or that DVI switch boxes exist (don't know myself).

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.