AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Alright guys, so here is my dilemma.  I have built a system in the last week, and just made a nice craigslist score which may change things up..

So here was my setup.  Did this inside of the last week.  This is my FIRST home audio setup.

Denon AVR E-300

Polk Tsi CS10 (seems to be really nice to me anyways)

Energy CB-10's as mains

Optimus Pro88 something as surrounds

Dayton Audio SUB-1200

So this sounded to me awesome on movies but lackluster on music.  Started doing some reading and searching and found a literally mint set of Energy RC-50's on craigstlist.

So now my setup is...

Denon AVR E-300

Polk Tsi CS10

Energy RC-50's as mains

Energy CB-10's as surrounds

Dayton Audio SUB-1200

Now I keep seeing that I should have matching mains with the center.  The issue is the Energy RC-LCR seems to be out of my budget, and I really have no qualms with the Polk center.  I actually really like the build quality on it.  I feel the RC-50's are nicer, but the polk for 99 to my door was hard to beat or so I thought at the time.

Would I be better off ditching the Polk which is less than a week old for the Energy CC-10 or should I just stick with the polk?  I may be able to get a CC-10 for next to nothing from a friend who works at best buy.  But the LCR seems to be close to 300 bones on ebay....  Are there any other speakers which would work well with my RC-50's?  I am not really sure where to be looking, google does not turn many things up.

Thanks for any input!

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Some prefer the same exact speaker for L, C & R, can you get another RC50? On the other hand if the Polk blends in well and sounds good to you, why change it up? I've had mismatched centers before (running one in my bedroom now) and has worked well for me. Depends how critical you listen, can you tell when a sound pans across the front that it changes noticeably as it goes thru the center?

Are you using the auto speaker setup to get levels right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1522908/thinking-about-changing-my-center#post_24492261

Some prefer the same exact speaker for L, C & R, can you get another RC50? On the other hand if the Polk blends in well and sounds good to you, why change it up? I've had mismatched centers before (running one in my bedroom now) and has worked well for me. Depends how critical you listen, can you tell when a sound pans across the front that it changes noticeably as it goes thru the center?

Are you using the auto speaker setup to get levels right?
I have used the Audessey setup thing, and it seems to make a TON of difference.  Sounds so nice.

I cannot get another RC-50..  Not sure where I would stick another tower speaker lol.

I guess I could leave it as is for now until I can afford to snag a nice RC-LCR.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Just my quick comment and experience. Just hooked up Boston Acoustics M350's main left and right. Pulled out a two yr old Klipch fat center. It sounded pretty good, movies and music, But when I matched the center with a BA M25 (much smaller spkr) the tonal match is so much better. I don't miss the "forward" sound of the Klipch. I'm now using matching tweeters and mid/woofers...a natural blended sound stage which I notice mostly for music.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.