AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Being on the tail end of a divorce I need to save money any way I can and am thinking about shutting off cable. I really only watch a handful of channels and there are alternative online versions of obtaining these shows + OTA antenna. Right now I also stream shows from Netflix through my xbox 360and shows on my Macbook's hdd through my xbox using Connect360.

My question is how to wirelessly stream Hulu or Justin.tv from my Macbook through my xbox, if possible? Alternatively, I am not opposed to an inexpensive Mac or Windows based htpc that resides next to my 65in Mitsu dlp. Live sports are important to me, which requires streaming (I have ESPN360 on xbox now, but it blacks out games being played in the region which would require something like Justin.tv).

Thanks for any adivce you can give!

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
No, PlayOn is Windows only.

May want to post in the Mac subforum. If Justin TV or other "wild" sports feeds is a key deal then an HTPC is really the only way to go. You can hook up your Macbook to your TV so it doesn't have to be a Windows or Linux based PC.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I know Playon is PC only and am not married to Mac for a htpc. My main deal is I don't want to be constantly plugging my macbook into the tv and am wondering if there is a good, fairly inexpensive dedicated alternative that will allow me to stream in HD and basically remove my macbook from the equation. Perhaps I am far to much of a noob to htpc to even understand what I am asking!

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
If you want need OTA (and DVR) and need to go to web sites then you'll need an HTPC, no way around that really. You can build a very capable HTPC for under $500.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/19577781

If you want need OTA (and DVR) and need to go to web sites then you'll need an HTPC, no way around that really. You can build a very capable HTPC for under $500.

Any you can buy off the shelf? Im great at simple tasks such as installing additional ram, replacing a hdd, etc, but I've never built one from scratch. I would be a little nervous taking that on. Guess I can search for DIY builds and see what it takes.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qposner /forum/post/19577823

Any you can buy off the shelf? Im great at simple tasks such as installing additional ram, replacing a hdd, etc, but I've never built one from scratch. I would be a little nervous taking that on. Guess I can search for DIY builds and see what it takes.

Many prebuilt PCs can serve as HTPCs. Building one is actually very easy as well, so I would definitely recommend looking into both scenarios and seeing what works best for you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.