AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trying to streamline my setup but I don't want to lose any of the punch or sound quality. I'm considering removing my amp and receiver and going with a Pioneer Elite, I think the model is the VSX33 or 34. Anyway here is a list of what I have and if anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them. I do want to say that I'm not interested in buying a $1500 receiver but at the same time I don't want to lose anything. As it stands the room is open to the kitchen and the ceiling is 10ft high. Right now the surround sound is excellent but before I added the amp to this receiver it was good but it sounded like it was straining. The subs are all powered by their own amplifier so I only need to push the actual speakers.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX 1016

Amlifier: Emotiva LPA-1

Center channel: Definitive Tech CLR2002

Front channel: Definitive Tech BP7006

Rear channel: Definitive Tech BP1.2X

Sub: Definitive Tech Supercube III

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Not sure what to suggest. Hard to duplicate the power of an external amp with a receiver. You will have to live with a receiver, which may be totally fine, but that depends on your listening levels, speakers and such.

Pioneer SC models seem to have a fair amount of power.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, get rid of the amp and try to go with the least amount of componants as possible. I only use the setup for Blu-ray and watching TV (it's not used for music) but I like the volume pretty high (especially on Blu-ray and DVD's). With the current setup I usually watch Blu-ray at -9db and normal TV at -14 to - 15. For the record, if I turn it up much past -9db it starts to sound like it's starting to clip. It's probably starting to clip a little before -9 but I like the sound of a clipping amp. I guess my point is that I'm driving this amp pretty hard, would a receiver keep up with everything on it's own?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts