AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure it's about time for a new TV. I have a Panasonic GT30 right now, and as much as I love it, I think my next one is going to be an LCD-LED mostly because I've had some issues with serious IR from games. No permanent burn in, but I've had to run the TV on for a couple of days to get rid of most of it. I think I had a Dark Souls IR for months after release, and I'm talking about being able to clearly read the HUD on a light screen. In the back of my head, it seems to be a constant worry so I'm trying to just get rid of the problem all together so I think plasmas are out of the running.

Sadly there's not a place near me that has both of these two TVs in stock, have them placed next to "reasonable" comparison TVs, or have one stuck in the middle of a bunch of TVs in torch mode. So the only real thing I can do is compare reviews and specs for the TVs.

The W900A seems to be the better TV of the two, but the Sharp is 600$ cheaper than the W900A. The W900A seems to be the number one choice for a "gaming TV". Any other TVs I should consider with these two?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am also debating between these two TV's. Hopefully the W900A will go on sale for $1600 again as it did early this month. Perhaps wait for the 2014 models?

·
Registered
712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seirno  /t/1519794/thinking-about-either-a-sony-w900a-or-sharp-le650#post_24407378

I figure it's about time for a new TV. I have a Panasonic GT30 right now, and as much as I love it, I think my next one is going to be an LCD-LED mostly because I've had some issues with serious IR from games. No permanent burn in, but I've had to run the TV on for a couple of days to get rid of most of it. I think I had a Dark Souls IR for months after release, and I'm talking about being able to clearly read the HUD on a light screen. In the back of my head, it seems to be a constant worry so I'm trying to just get rid of the problem all together so I think plasmas are out of the running.

Sadly there's not a place near me that has both of these two TVs in stock, have them placed next to "reasonable" comparison TVs, or have one stuck in the middle of a bunch of TVs in torch mode. So the only real thing I can do is compare reviews and specs for the TVs.

The W900A seems to be the better TV of the two, but the Sharp is 600$ cheaper than the W900A. The W900A seems to be the number one choice for a "gaming TV". Any other TVs I should consider with these two?

I just bought the w900 on Sunday, I have owned many panny plasmas in the past, most recently the st60, the gt25. The picture is great on the st60 , but input lag was atrocious. After I took back the st60, about 9 mos ago, I bought a samsung f7100. I really liked the f7100, had a completely uniform panel, input lag was not bad at 39 ms, but there is no way to defeat microdimming in game mode. Which brings me to the 900. Run to the store, and buy this tv. I price matched amazon for 1700. This tv,destroys my samsung f7100, contrast and colors look like the st60 I had. The black level is amazing. To top that off, the input lag has been measured around 18ms. Playing games feels like back on the old school CRT TVs. I cannot recommend this tv enough. The picture has a plasma like image, and to be honest, it handles motion much better than my samsung did. My wife, who cares nothing about TVs, and never notices a difference said she had to admit that this was a huge upgrade in picture quality. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger on a W900a last night. I figured from everything I could find out about it, it was the better TV and should last until I get the "new TV urge" again in a couple of years.

Gets here Monday and can't wait.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seirno  /t/1519794/thinking-about-either-a-sony-w900a-or-sharp-le650#post_24412911

I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger on a W900a last night. I figured from everything I could find out about it, it was the better TV and should last until I get the "new TV urge" again in a couple of years.

Gets here Monday and can't wait.

IMHO, you made the right decision. In 2013, CNET said it was the best LCD on the market and I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
How much did you end up purchasing it for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.