AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently planning a home theatre and am looking at getting the JVC DLA-S15U. I really like DILA and this model has a 1:1 throw distance which works well in my room. I can't easily use something with a much longer throw distance or something on the ceiling. I am currently planning on mounting it in a front projector coffee table configuration with the bottom of the screen aligned with the bottom of the projector. I am shooting for a 10' wide screen size.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone might have on this projector and my plan for using it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I think that Kramer has a coffee table book about coffee tables. I'm not sure if he has anything about projector based coffee tables though, but it is worth looking into.

:)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Brian,

The S15 is designed for screen centerline only...mainly in rear projection applications. It will NOT work in your configuration.

Look for an M15 with the 1.5:1 lens or the standard G15 with 2-3:1 zoom lens...either of these can be placed at the bottom of the screen as you desire although throw distance will, of course, be greater.

Regards,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom, thanks for your reply.

One more question. Would the projector work in a front projector scenario if I changed my design so it was raised up 4 feet off the groud to the center of the screen?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Yes, but how would you get the projector either out of your viewing line of sight, or from projecting onto the back of your head?

That's why these are designed for rear projection applications.

You could however overcome this with mirrors and tipping the screen, but this starts to get a little unusual.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure as long as you don't sit more than 1.2 screen widths back you could sit to either side and it wouldn't obstruct your view. The only issue I was worried about is noise.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
1.2 screen widths seems awfully close, especially as your maximum distance. I don't know - maybe you actually prefer this, but many guests might prefer to sit further away. You would want to hush it up pretty good - it's doable, but without a good hushbox, it'll be pretty load, esp. that close.

Why can't you put it on the ceiling behind the sitting position?

- Dave

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I can't imagine building a theater where I couldn't sit dead center in the middle, especially if you plan on sitting 1 screen width back!

·
Registered
835 Posts
The S15 is generally used for rear-projection, so the projector would be behind the screen and out of the way.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Kam,

Brian is proposing using an S15 as a FRONT projector.

He is proposing setting it up with a 1.2 screen width throw - and the audience flanking the PJ.

Greg

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Bryan,

Are you aware of the image offset of the G series? This is how most digital projectors are. It allows for ceiling or floor/table mounting.

I would not recommend a D-ILA projector next to your head.

It sounds like you found some smoking deal on one or something. I think you could probably find an equally smoking deal on a g series if you look around.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Right now I'm opting for min. seating distance of 1.0 screen widths away with the G15U, but that's me.

But there is no way in he*l I would want a *15U on top of me. They are way to loud and way to hot for that.

Also, not that this would be a concern for everyone, but if I heard right, the longer the throw, the less distortion you will get from an Anamorphic lens.

BryanBouwman:

What are the room dimensions and what screen size are you going for?

-Ted-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.