AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting my Mit. wd-73735 callibrated by a profesional. There isnt to many in my area other then Best buy but lets not go there. The one that I found that is close to me and whom I contacted already is Enhanced Audio & Video out of lebanon,Pa. Which is about 6 miles from me. I live in Fredericksburg,Pa 17026. Anyway the owner which is the one who will be doing the callibration seems like a very nice guy. But I was just wondering if any of you heard about Enhanced Audio & Video. He did mention that he has never did my exact tv before. Which has me a little skeptical. But around my area I dont have many choices. Thanks

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Could always look at traveling calibrators too ...

regards

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
There has to be a first time for even very established calibrators - there are 100s of new TV models introduced before. If every calibration customer demanded that their TV was not the first of that model done by their calibrator, there would be no pro calibrators. In general, there's nothing THAT special about one model or another, especially if the calibrator has previous experience with the brand even if it was on last year's models or even the year before.

That said - there are over 2000 calibrators listed on the ISF website and there is a HUGE range of dedication/experience/committment/focus within that group. Some of them calibrate 1 TV a year. Others calibrate 100s of TVs every year. Some have calibration hardware and software worth $2000, others have $25,000 or more in equipment. There is a reason you might want a calibrator with the larger investment - though how much investmen the calibrator has doesn't really tell you much all by itself, a rich hack could easily sink $30K into hardware and software, but it is much less likely that someone without the skill/motivation/committment would spend that kind of money. Most "dealers" will own a relatively limited-performance set of "pucks" (1 or 2 of them, 2 may be required for different types of TVs) that stick to the monitor - I didn't feel I could justify a calibration fee using a setup like that so I use a much bulkier meter (that is also far more expensive than the pucks) that mounts on a tripod and sits several feet from the video display.

A "dealer" may also be motivated to try to sell you other equipment. Some "non-dealer" pro calibrators are still "dealers" for some products, other pro calibrators intentionally stay away from being sellers of anything but calibration services.

Of the 2000 or so trained ISFers on "the list" (that's an estimate), there are probably 200-300 that are "very active" and doing little besides calibrations (this is a guess on my part - I don't think there are many more than that who can fill 5 days a week or more with nothing but video display calibrations). Calibrators who travel far from their homes are more likely to be busy all or most of the time with calibrations and some charge little or no more than a local calibrator.

On the other hand, there is something to be said about doing business locally if and when it makes sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts