AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying an M-Audio Revo for my HTPC. Currently I use SPDIF out to my Onkyo Receiver and DD and DTS work fine. With the deal goin on right now, I am considering grabbing one of these. Here are the questions that I have...

1) I understand that there will not be much of a difference sound wise between the current Aopen card I have and the M-Audio when connected via SPDIF. Is this really the case with those of you that have tired it??

2) 48Khz resampling. I'm assuming that my Aopen card resamples to 48Khz as it was $19.00. Does this hold true only for DVD playback?? I guess I do not understand the resampling (or non resampling) to 48Khz that I hear mentioned--does that just affect CD and MP3 quality. Where am I going to hear the difference? I currently play CD's through a changer and bypass my HTPC. Would I be at any advantage for CD playback through this card?

2) How to connect the 7.1 to an amp?? Looking at the card the 7.1 connectoins are mini-jacks?? How do you connect this to an amplifer or receiver with RCA type inputs?? I'm assuming a min-jack to RCA style connector? Or does it come with some sort on dongle? In either case, wouldn't one serciously sacrifice sound quality going from a min-jack. Where do you get these..Radio Shack? I just think back to the days of connecting my stereo sound card to my Reciever. That was a nightmare sound wise..have things improved or am I missing something here.

I think thats it for now...any input appreciated. Drew

· Registered
2,006 Posts
1. Sound quality. Differences in the REVO and your current sound setup will be most noticeable when using the analog outputs of the REVO, followed by PCM (2 channel sound) to a lessor extent. In my experience I have not been able to hear much difference in SPDIF pass thru mode for DVD playback. Do a search on jitter and SPDIF and you will see a large body of discussion on this subject with differing opinions. My thoughts are based on using a REVO, Audigy I and Onkyo DS595 receiver for doing music and DVD DD/DTS playback.

2. The 48khz resampling issue. Most gamer sound cards on the market today interact with windows kmixer to resample all sound to 48khz for output. CD's and many MP3's are usally at 41 khz originally. The quality of the resampling is generally poor and this causes errors as the bits are reshaped. Also, DTS CD's require the bits to NOT be resampled to enable proper "bit perfect" playback. My revo, using the kernel streaming plugin with winamp plays music bit perfect and is noticeable better than what my audigy was doing with the same material.

3. yes you use mini-jack to RCA cables. Ones are available cheaply from radio shack. More expensive ones are also available from various places (do a search for links). However, the jack holes on the back of the REVO are pretty close together, more expensive cables may have larger connector shell covers that may not fit next to each other.

I have been very happy with my upgrade from a Audigy I to my REVO. I also prefer the sound of the REVO to the DACS in my Onkyo DS595. My typical listening config is to output 5.1 analog from the REVO into the multichannel 5.1 amp inputs on my Onkyo for music as well as DVD's. The only area of the REVO that I am less happy with is CSII for 2 channel TV viewing. Sound quality from NTSC TV broadcasts are generally low-fi poor. My onkyo DPII decoding tends to do a better job then the REVO CSII (in my opinion.)

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. If I went with the Revo with my Mid-Fi Onkyo receiver...then for DVD's I would use the software DVD Player to decode DTS and DD and send that input to the 5.1 Multichannel on the Onkyo? I enjoy the 5 channel stereo mode for CD listening from my 400 disk changer. Would there be any way to run the changer through the REVO as well? It has a Toslink ouput that currently runs to the Onkyo. This would free up a digital input on the receiver which I need for my Xbox :) I would then select between DVD and CD from my computer? Is this possible...If so, how easy would that be?

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Quote:
My revo, using the kernel streaming plugin with winamp plays music bit perfect and is noticeable better than what my audigy was doing with the same material.
dm,

I have the Revo but not sure what streaming plugin your talking about and what software utilizes it. Is this part of the M-Audio driver or do I need to install something else.

Quote:
My onkyo DPII decoding tends to do a better job then the REVO CSII (in my opinion.)
My current receiver lacks DPL2 but I I thought it was excellent on the Denon 380x I had. I notice that the WinDVD4 version that came bundled with the Revo does not include DPL2, but WinDVD4+ full version apparently does according to the Intervideo site :(

Any idea how well DPL2 decoding done in software via WinDVD4+ (or Platinum) out of the Revo analog outs stacks up against your Onkyo and my old Denon?

· Registered
2,006 Posts
barhoram:

The REVO does not have a SPDIF input. So your changer will not hookup thru the REVO. The analog input on the REVO also has some driver issues. I don't use the analog in, but supposedly there are latency issues and the fact that you need to leave the control panel open to allow monitoring the analog input.

hardwired:

kernel streaming plugin is a .dll file that works with winamp 2.x. It adds an input plugin that allows you to bypass the windows kmixer. The dll was posted by cliff watson on one of the earlier monster REVO threads.

I dont use DPL2 via windvd so I can't speak to its quality or comparision.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the plunge and purchaced the Revo (well actually had a credit at CUSA). I plan on hooking it up this weekend. I have a couple of questions...

It seems it doens't include any mini-jack style cables...so I bought 4 sets of mini-jack to RCA connectors at radio shack ($2.99 each). What is everyone else using?? Will these do?

My reciever has 5.1 multichannel inputs which I plan on using. Insted of purchacing a 6.1 or 7.1 reciever in the future, would I be able to use an old Dolby Surround Receiver for the extra one or two rear channels? Is this going to cause problems with the surrond delay?? What will I actually be hearing on 5.1 DD or DTS DVS's with the extra channels?? TIA. Drew.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Yes you can use an old receiver to power the rear channels. No it won't cause any issues with delay. You will want to use the REVO control panel master volume control tho. Other wise you will have to adjust the 5.1 amp volume control and the 2 channel amp volume control when you want to change the master volume. I load up my 5.1 amp and my 2 channel amp with a volume level that is at the MAX that I typically use and leave it there. I then use the REVO control panel volume control to reduce the 7.1 volume to listening levels as I watch my movies. I have the wheel of my wireless mouse set to control the REVO master volume slider with www.toggle.com togglevolume software.

The REVO control panel has individual settings for speaker distance for each channel. Speaker distance = delay. So you can adjust things to your liking.

You will need DVD player software that supports EX or ES 7.1 DD and DTS type encoding to fully make use of the 7.1 channels in movies that support it. The REVO comes with a special version of windvd that supports 7.1 DD decoding (but not DTS).

Also, on the REVO control panel, click on the "Virtual 7.1" check box. For 5.1 titles, the REVO driver will duplicate the normal rear 2 channels to the rear 4 channels. For 7.1 titles it will pass the 7.1 sound if the DVD player software supports the decoding.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks dm. I have been playing with my new REVO setup this weekend. I'm pretty happy with the results as compared to the SPDIF. A couple more questions...I'm not exactly sure what the Bass Management does. Can someone explain this to me? Also, I do not currently have a Sub. How do I account for this in the setup....anything special I need to do to make sure the bass is sent to the main speakers? Thanks . Drew

· Registered
2,006 Posts
By selecting Bass Management you can set the speakers for large, medium, etc and the cross over freqs in the control panel.

Basically you are selecting a cut off frequency, any sound BELOW your set freq is redirected out the subwoofer channel (the LFE or low freq effect) channel. The idea being that low freq tones are not directional and can come out of any speaker location in the room without the listiner being able to localize the direction. Also, a separate sub will likely be able to reproduce the low tones better than todays common smaller bookshelf or satelite mini speakers.

That being said, if you dont have a sub, then you probably should not be using bass management and sending the full freq spectrum of sound out your main channels. For home theater, you really should get a sub.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.