1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want a second TV, and my thought is to either
a) buy a nice tv, and relegate my current set downstairs
b) buy a cheap tv, and keep my current set in the living room

The main thing I'm hung up on, is I dunno how my current TV compares to whats out there now. Going to best buy and taking a look doesn't give me any idea, because all the screens are set to "eye-gouge blue" mode

So I figured I'd just ask.

Right now, I've got a Samsung LN46A950. The main reason I'm hesitant to replace it is that it's backlit, and can locally dim. That doesn't seem to be the case with most current LED LCD tvs. Some sets locally dim, but many of them seem like half hearted attempts, with less than 100 zones. Is local dimming still even a big factor when it comes to black levels?

So what I'm wondering is, what price range am I looking at if I want to upgrade, and not accidentally downgrade my setup?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts

The main thing I'm hung up on, is I dunno how my current TV compares to whats out there now. Going to best buy and taking a look doesn't give me any idea, because all the screens are set to "eye-gouge blue" mode

Right now, I've got a Samsung LN46A950. The main reason I'm hesitant to replace it is that it's backlit, and can locally dim. That doesn't seem to be the case with most current LED LCD tvs. Some sets locally dim, but many of them seem like half hearted attempts, with less than 100 zones. Is local dimming still even a big factor when it comes to black levels?

So what I'm wondering is, what price range am I looking at if I want to upgrade, and not accidentally downgrade my setup?
I haven't seen your set, but the new 2015 JU and JS models have really good motion and even the edgelit ones have pretty darn good black compared to what was available several years ago. There's also a lot of smart features too if that appeals to you at all. JU and JS also have 3D if your like me and enjoy 3D content every now and then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're nice, a little outside of how much I want to spend, however.
I'm not really thinking of 4k just yet, I'd rather wait until the dust settles a bit. I'm thinking now that the top end TVs are all 4k, I can find a good price on a quality 1080p set. I also don't really dig the curved screen.

I was more looking at previous years' models. Around $1000, I can get my hands on a 55" Samsung H7150. (I'd rather go 60", but the 55" has a nicer Samsung panel apparently). I'm not sure yet what Sony, Panasonic, or Vizio have at this price point.

My only concern in all of this is picture quality. I don't really want smart features, even if I get a Smart TV, I'm going to wind up plugging a Roku/Chromecast into it.

I'm just somewhat worried that, since all of these sets appear to be edge-lit, I'm going to wind up accidentally paying a grand to downgrade. I dunno how top of the line from 2008 compares to middle of the road 2014. If it helps at all, Samsung's A950 was probably comparable to a Sony's XBR8.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
They're nice, a little outside of how much I want to spend, however.
I'm not really thinking of 4k just yet, I'd rather wait until the dust settles a bit. I'm thinking now that the top end TVs are all 4k, I can find a good price on a quality 1080p set. I also don't really dig the curved screen.

I was more looking at previous years' models. Around $1000, I can get my hands on a 55" Samsung H7150. (I'd rather go 60", but the 55" has a nicer Samsung panel apparently). I'm not sure yet what Sony, Panasonic, or Vizio have at this price point.

My only concern in all of this is picture quality. I don't really want smart features, even if I get a Smart TV, I'm going to wind up plugging a Roku/Chromecast into it.

I'm just somewhat worried that, since all of these sets appear to be edge-lit, I'm going to wind up accidentally paying a grand to downgrade. I dunno how top of the line from 2008 compares to middle of the road 2014. If it helps at all, Samsung's A950 was probably comparable to a Sony's XBR8.
They don't make 1080p LCD's that will match the PQ of your current set anymore. All of the premium features you used to find in a flagship 1080p LCD are reserved for the UHD/4K models, now. If you're looking to upgrade your Samsung, your choices are 1080p plasma (if you can find one), OLED (1080p or 4K), or UHD/4K LCD. If none of those fit your needs or are more than you are looking to spend then I would keep the Samsung as your main TV and perhaps purchase a cheap 1080p for your other room.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
While not the 950, I recently went from an LN46A850 to a Sony KDL60W850B (paid $1100 new at a regional big-box store) and have absolutely zero regrets. Our 850 still looked fantastic but was just too small at our current viewing distance. The uniformity is way better on the Sony, though I do recognize that I may have gotten lucky on my panel, and while I do slightly miss that Samsung 'pop' the PQ is otherwise just as good, if not a little better due to the uniformity.

I looked at 4K but couldn't justify the price difference for our application, and after a couple of weeks we are 100% pleased with this set and our decision in general.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Vizio M55 is 4K and a bargain at $999. It won’t be available for another week or two. However, all indications are that it will be a fine TV for this price range. If you look at any other manufacturer you are automatically going to spend between 30%-70% more for a 2015 55” 4K TV.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-m...gray/2833053.p?id=1219561396855&skuId=2833053

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They don't make 1080p LCD's that will match the PQ of your current set anymore. All of the premium features you used to find in a flagship 1080p LCD are reserved for the UHD/4K models, now. If you're looking to upgrade your Samsung, your choices are 1080p plasma (if you can find one), OLED (1080p or 4K), or UHD/4K LCD. If none of those fit your needs or are more than you are looking to spend then I would keep the Samsung as your main TV and perhaps purchase a cheap 1080p for your other room.
After some research, I think you may be right. There may be some sets that are marginally better, but nothing that would justify the price. Unless I spring for a 4k screen or a plasma, it doesn't seem like anything is going to offer a very significant upgrade. I think I'm just gonna go with the cheaper TV, and enjoy my current set for a while longer.

Thanks for all your suggestions

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
After some research, I think you may be right. There may be some sets that are marginally better, but nothing that would justify the price. Unless I spring for a 4k screen or a plasma, it doesn't seem like anything is going to offer a very significant upgrade. I think I'm just gonna go with the cheaper TV, and enjoy my current set for a while longer.

I think you've come to the most logical conclusion.. :)

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

So what is your idea of a cheaper TV? $300? $500? $1000?

I am going to pick up a Vizio P50 from Costco for $699 today. That is a 64 zone full array back lit UHD 4K set. Really, would paying $500 or even $300 be worth the savings considering what you get with the Vizio P series?

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-50"-Cla...D-Ultra-HDTV-P502ui-B1.product.100131267.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts