AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents (and Ladies),

Just sold my house, and they made the sub (SVS PB12-plus2) part of the deal. I'm thinking of going duals in the new house. The space is in the basement, 20x14x8, with a hallway on one end. I'll be mating these to Von Schweikert LCR-15's and their matching surrounds. I'll treat the rooms with traps and have Pioneer MCACC for correction. I want musical precision first, I listen at moderate+ volume levels, and I don't want to miss too much of the slam of my plus2.

Please let me know which of these you've compared, and what you found/heard? My gut says it's probably between Hsu and Epik, but tell me of you think otherwise... and which you think i'll like better.

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
8,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKOTB /forum/post/19631262

Gents (and Ladies),

Just sold my house, and they made the sub (SVS PB12-plus2) part of the deal. I'm thinking of going duals in the new house. The space is in the basement, 20x14x8, with a hallway on one end. I'll be mating these to Von Schweikert LCR-15's and their matching surrounds. I'll treat the rooms with traps and have Pioneer MCACC for correction. I want musical precision first, I listen at moderate+ volume levels, and I don't want to miss too much of the slam of my plus2.

Please let me know which of these you've compared, and what you found/heard? My gut says it's probably between Hsu and Epik, but tell me of you think otherwise... and which you think i'll like better.

Thanks for your thoughts!

If the sound quality of the SVS PB-12 Plus/2 satisfied you with your Von Schweikert's, you should be fine with ported subs. A pair of HSU VTF-15 F's should pressurize your space nicely. The variable Q and other features should give you the sound quality you want.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian, Duly noted of the LFM-1 plus. Thanks for the $ savings!

Spyboy, Thanks for the feedback. You make an interesting qualification. I would say I was satisfied with my Plus2's output and depth, but I would not say they were the best transient match for the VSA's... hence some sealed options in the list... I guess I've just never heard of someone happily going from a "musical/fast" ported sub to a comparable sealed one that didn't mention their glee with the improved musicality, but then at the same time, also the diminished impact.

I'm also thinking of placement being either just behind or left/right of the seating position, vs the 1/3rd points on the front viewing wall. Maybe proximity will augment the tactile feel?

Looks like two Hsu votes thusfar.

More please!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What is your budget? I like spyboy's recommendation of the vtf-15H. I have one and it is a home theater beast ported, but when plugged up and sealed, is a very musical sub and really rocks. The Legends are supposed to be very musical, but I say step it up to the Empires if within budget.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sounds like the 15h maybey the answer for me,when you say plug the port for seal when listening to music what are you actually doing physically?is is a swicth?you actually put a plug into a port?if so is it in the front?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yes it comes with two plugs and I keep them in the closet beside theater, ports are on front of sub. When I decide to play some music I just stick the plugs in the ports and turn up LFE in reciever a few clicks (I like music slightly bass heavy). Takes 30 seconds and ready to go. Can run both in, one in, both out so many flavors to choose. Also has eq switch on back to extend to lower frequency in one port or sealed mode. It also has a variable Q to help tune frequency response. I have really enjoyed it so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
whats your best guess for someone who after origanal set up doesnt want to tweak much,would i be able to have 1 setting for movies and plug the ports and play for music(rock/blues) or should i look at a less feature rich sub.(epik empire or rythmic 12 or 15)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsp /forum/post/19631888

whats your best guess for someone who after origanal set up doesnt want to tweak much,would i be able to have 1 setting for movies music and plug the ports and play for music(rock/blues) or should i look at a less feature rich sub.

After initial setup, I run mine the same all of the time. Two ports open for HT, close them up for music. No other additional changes to sub. It sounds good for music open (I prefer for some types of music, pop, rap, electronic...). But my favorite music is rock and classic rock, and the instruments such as kick drum and bass guitar sound spot on in sealed mode. The VTF-15H has its own thread and I would be more than happy to answer any questions there. I don't want to derail this thread any more as I don't know if it is even being considered by the OP. I have heard an empire before and it was great, but I have never compared any of these subs in same room. Rythmic is known to have good musical sub. My constraints were HT #1 music #2 with room having large open entrance to 6000cft. I really like ported sub for HT and with this sub I perform very admirably both ways with great output. 2 birds, 1 stone.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/19631940

What features? The Rythmik has tuning/extension adjustments, damping adjustments, and a PEQ.

my intention wasnt to steal this thread,sorry. what im looking for is a sub that for movies is as good or better then the deftech super cube 1(i have no complaints when movie wacthing) but a lot better for music(it basicaly has no defintion or clarity for music) but i want minimal tweaking after original set up.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsp /forum/post/19632063

my intention wasnt to steal this thread,sorry. what im looking for is a sub that for movies is as good or better then the deftech super cube 1(i have no complaints when movie wacthing) but a lot better for music(it basicaly has no defintion or clarity for music) but i want minimal tweaking after original set up.

Understood....any sub should not require tweaking after setup.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I looked at the VTF-15, and agree that it may indeed be a solution to the HT/music compromise.

I still wonder though if it would provide a smoother in-room FR/total output than dual 12's?

As to budget, I'd like to stay near or preferably below $1200. The good news is my wife doesn't care what the equipment looks like, just as long as it sounds great (no, you can't have her).

I'm also not looking for a beautiful or "statement" sub, lest we'd be discussing at Genelect, Danley or JL Fathom... don't get me wrong, I'd love one, if you'd like to send me a couple just to make your point!
I'm just looking for the best SQ and output combo - they can be as ugly as they need to be to save me on the furniture factor mark-up.

Thanks again for the feedback, keep it comin'!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TTT! for you Sunday browsers. Thx!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Hello fellow Atlantan,

If your budget allows you could consider what I own and you could even see and hear them. I own the ULS-15 Dual Drive system from HSU. I bought them first for their musicality then was pleasently surprised at their ability to bring out the really low ULF info during movies. The plus to the ULS-15 DD system, after proper room intergration, is they will do both music and movies without having to change port plugs.
But if your budget is only 1200 then my recommendation would be outside your budget. Anyway if your interested PM me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another sub to consider if you want musicality but are worried about output and don't care if it doesn't look like a piece of Italian furniture is the Rythmik F25. Might also break the budget tho.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks neighbor! (hometheatergeek), I would love to hear your set-up, but it is well beyond my budget. Just know I'm envious of your woofage.

Avgass, I thought about the Ryhmik F12G's, but they're just over the budget a bit. the F25 wouldn't give me the ability to place them optimally in the room for the smoother FR (as it's duals in one box), But thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure it would rock!

So on a related topic (smooth FR), my readings lead me to believe that the least expensive room correction option (given that I'll be getting an AVR as well) is a used ($400ish) Onkyo 805 with the Audyssey MultEq XT... I've gathered that this the best bang for my buck, vs an AVR with AntiMode's or SMS-1, etc. Yes, no, thoughts? (This is more of a room correction for duals thought than an AVR question - I just mention this one because it looks like the cheapest way to kill two birds with one stone)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I love my single VTF2mk3 that I just got....but 2 would certainly be fun. They are on sale right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.