AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 60gb, after 2.5 years of what I thought was faithful service, gave me the YLOD error, necessitating a costly out-of-warranty exchange ($150 plus tax) to Sony.

I have not yet received my replacement unit, so I don't know if it will be mine (same SS#) or somebody else's defective refurb.

I am very down about it. After paying $600, I did not expect a product failure in less than 3 years. I take great care of my electronics. No kids, no smoking, plenty of air, dust and vacuum frequently.

But, I am invested. I have a dozen BD games, 20 PSN games, 200 Singstar songs, loads of accessories, and 30 BD movies with desires for more.

So: I have been contemplating, once I receive my replacement/refurb, of trading in that 60gb unit at Abt Electronics for $176 (that's what they'll give) and get a new 80gb ($397) with a 4 year service plan ($99, Abt has GREAT service, I bought my 50A2000 tv there).

I'd like to solicit the input of others on AVS about this. Here are the categories of my thinking:

FEATURES: Obviously, the 60gb PS3 has a better feature set.

-It has backward compatibility, which I will admit I use less and less as time goes by. My wife still plays Katamari though. I also have a PS2 slim in the other room.

-It has flash card readers, which I use to watch HD camcorder movies from Memory Stick.

-It has 4 USB ports, which is nice, but then, I generally don't use more than 2 (singstar mics and camera)

-I stream Netflix and Hulu via PlayOn over a wired connection to my 60gb. Anyone have experience with a new 80gb doing this?

RELIABILITY: Here's where I have questions.

-After getting YLOD on my launch-ish 60gb, I am worried about getting the same unit back, or someone else's unit, and suffering the same fate 2 more years down the road (and past Sony's "new" 90 day warranty... LAME)

-Do the new (non-BC) 80gb units run cooler, in your estimation? Quieter? Anyone have opinions or anecdotes to share on reliability between the two?

PRICE: How confident are AVS users of a $100 price cut in the next 6 months? Of course I'd like to pay $100 less for a new unit. It would be possible to pricematch down by $100 if I buy within 30 days of such a change.

-Anybody believe in the PS3 Slim?

-Anybody have tales of contacting Sony to get old PSN and Singstar purchases authorized on a new machine?

Thanks, I'd love to hear all your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat as you.

My 20GB, also more than 2 years gave me the YLOD, my 4 usb ports don't work (no back up anymore), and due to some overheat GPU, I have had some graphical glitches.

I fixed my YLOD and occasionly, the graphical glitches appears, rarely. But still annoying.

Like you I'm also looking to buy a new PS3, but I'm waiting how long mine will last.

I'm also waiting about the slim thingy.

I plan to keep my PS3 20GB, In case the new one has problems with the blu ray drive, I will have a spare.

So I'll had a question, which model is more reliable now? 40GB? 80GB?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Right now seems like the wrong time to buy with all of the hardware and price cut rumors floating around, especially if you already have a working PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen /forum/post/16847793

-Anybody have tales of contacting Sony to get old PSN and Singstar purchases authorized on a new machine?

You shouldn't have a problem, just use your current PSN ID on the new machine. Unless you've game shared with multiple people, or the Singstar stuff works differently. You can have your account active on 5 different PS3s.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
to sell your new unit for $176 after paying $150 to get it fixed means $16 in your pocket. JUST THAT means not worth it.

Wheter you get yours as a repair, or a factory refurb, another two years isn't going to be a negative.. (it is my experience that a refurb is actually a more robust/stable unit as it is given individual attention rather than being a 1/1000 lot.)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou /forum/post/16849353

to sell your new unit for $176 after paying $150 to get it fixed means $16 in your pocket. JUST THAT means not worth it.

Wheter you get yours as a repair, or a factory refurb, another two years isn't going to be a negative.. (it is my experience that a refurb is actually a more robust/stable unit as it is given individual attention rather than being a 1/1000 lot.)

Math fail.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I will indeed not do the Abt trade-in, as I have seen that used 60gb's sell on Amazon for $400. So I'd definitely go that route.

I just inquired at Sony about simply buying an EW with them to warrant my now "repaired" 60gb. I figured, since they give you a new 90 day warranty, why would they not extend that? Well, no dice. Clearly, they do not have faith in their own repair service. Not happy about it.

There were rumors of price cuts last year, too. Didn't happen. A price cut makes a lot of sense for this holiday season. Therefore, given Sony's bizzaro-world logic, I have to assume it will not happen again this year. The "slim" looks like a Taiwanese knock off. There have been no solid rumors, photos, or videos of it yet. Also, I'm worried about a price cut happening and undercutting the price I can get for the 60gb. I figure, if a cut happens 30 days after my Abt purchase, I can price match it. If not, tough beans for me.

Singstar purchases are different than PSN. They are locked to the SN# of your machine, and you have to call Sony to get it authorized on another machine. Not looking forward to it, especially at the stupid slow download speeds of the singstore (20 minutes minimum for a 50mb song = roughly 50 hours of downloading for all my music).

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
I personally think you're over blowing the idea that the launch units are faulty.

Expensive, new electronics tend to push people to the web when they fail, and with the millions of PS3s sold, that literally hundreds of thousands of busted PS3's. Thats a lot of disappointed customers. [but still only 3%]

From what I'm reading, most PS3's that suffer YLOD are from overheating from prolonged use. Normally, it be fine, but dust buildup or repeated use in a tight space causes more wear and tear on the CPU and GPU. Then again, sometimes you just get a faulty unit, and it's a matter of time.

Sell it if you want, but unless the new units run cooler, I'd be more worried about what caused the issue in the first place. Good ventilation, and a weekly cleaning might be the better option if you still value BC. If not, stick around the 90 day warranty and sell or the slim. If and when the slim comes out, I expect them to move the PS out of the box, which should reduce heat. If you are worried, do a burn in week by using folding at home 24\\7 for a week. The fan should be at it's highest normal use, but never at it's turbine like max [you'll know, it's very loud when at max].

I'd imagine a price cut for ~ Uncharted in Nov or GOWIII in March. I'm leaning to the later, unless Sony see's some really lagging sells going into the end of the summer. I'm not sure why it would make sense to drop the price for the xmas season, especially with the exhange rate as it is right now.

·
Registered
10,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/16848409

Don't trade it in for $176, its worth 2x that! I sell 60gb's quite often for $350.

Is sony giving you any repair warranty?

Btw orig PS3 with SACD sounded phenomenal. Once they took out SACD, how did it effect audio quality?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/16853670

Btw orig PS3 with SACD sounded phenomenal. Once they took out SACD, how did it effect audio quality?

Sound quality is great if you actually have SACDs to play in your 20/60 GB PS3. Without SACD compatibility, you cannot play SACDs, otherwise it makes no difference in SQ.

·
Registered
10,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru /forum/post/16853695

Sound quality is great if you actually have SACDs to play in your 20/60 GB PS3. Without SACD compatibility, you cannot play SACDs, otherwise it makes no difference in SQ.

hmm! I always thought components with sacd/dvd audio built into that handle audio fidelity better.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/16853918

hmm! I always thought components with sacd/dvd audio built into that handle audio fidelity better.

Here is a great faq on SACD & the PS3. Under the heading "Why did Sony take SA-CD out of PS3 again?", the author speculates on what exactly was removed in order to reduce production costs.

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html

You're right though, usually high resolution audio equipment will utilize higher quality components (DACS etc).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/16852957

From what I'm reading, most PS3's that suffer YLOD are from overheating from prolonged use. Normally, it be fine, but dust buildup or repeated use in a tight space causes more wear and tear on the CPU and GPU. Then again, sometimes you just get a faulty unit, and it's a matter of time.

Sell it if you want, but unless the new units run cooler, I'd be more worried about what caused the issue in the first place. Good ventilation, and a weekly cleaning might be the better option if you still value BC. If not, stick around the 90 day warranty and sell or the slim. If and when the slim comes out, I expect them to move the PS out of the box, which should reduce heat. If you are worried, do a burn in week by using folding at home 24\\7 for a week. The fan should be at it's highest normal use, but never at it's turbine like max [you'll know, it's very loud when at max].

I take very good care of my electronics. I have NEVER had another piece of equipment fail like this.

I never run the PS3 for more than 6 hours (sorry, cancer).

I always dust and vacuum my HT area.

My PS3 runs vertically and free standing, with loads of room around it for ventilation.

So it's not me. It's faulty hardware, plain and simple. And I'm going to get either my own faulty unit back, or someone else's faulty unit.

Until someone can prove to me that refurbed 60gb units are somehow rock solid (and if they were, why would they fail in the first place? And if they've been running too hot due to poor thermal compounds, haven't the CPU and GPU already been damaged just from 1-2 years of poor cooling?), I'm set on the swap to 80gb plan.

If I get my own unit back, I may keep it, just to avoid the hassle of redownloading all my games and songs. But I'll be sweating bullets like a 360 owner waiting for a red ring.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/16853670

I am paying for this repair because it is out of warranty.

They have said the refurb unit will come with 90 days of protection. Whoop de doo!

They will NOT sell me an EW on the refurb unit. Goes to show how much they trust their own repairs.

NOT HAPPY.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
While I have had a lot of electronics equipment that seem to last forever, lately my laptops have been dropping like flies. And my daughters ipods aren't fairing that well either. I think for the most part most people are pleased with the reliability of the PS3. I remember all the predictions of doom and gloom when the PS3 launched, due to all the "new" hardware. Statistically my experience isn't worth anything, but my 60gig never over heated during a 3 month 24/7 [email protected] spree. My unit does suffer from the "GTA4 freeze bug" though, which is covered under warranty, I just have not sent it in because I am too lazy, and I am worried about getting a different unit back. And I am having to much fun playing other games. I figure I'll send it in when I get my 2nd PS3/Blu-ray player.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen /forum/post/16854624

They have said the refurb unit will come with 90 days of protection. Whoop de doo!

They will NOT sell me an EW on the refurb unit. Goes to show how much they trust their own repairs.

NOT HAPPY.

We should get together and have a drink to forget our loss lol! I never felt so let down by a sony product. And I've owned lot's of them apart their 3 Playstations.

·
Registered
10,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen /forum/post/16854624

NOT HAPPY.

I just sent you a pm.

thnx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.