AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont really know where to start....Im very happy with the image, and I just bought a new bulb (urghhhh $600) but Im starting to think that for a couple of thousand I could have a projector that kicks this one out of the water....The marantz was a gift to me a couple years ago so spending more than 2000 to get a new one is a little over my budget. Are there any in the sub $2k range that would be substancially better than my current set up?

thanks all for your help....

·
Registered
55 Posts
i just bought a marantz vp4001, after reading tons of reviews i decided to go for it over the hd65 and other entry level 720p dlp's

it's a good option if you want to stay with marantz!

it's supposed to be brighter and has more contrast, but they're both 720p

maybe you could wait a bit until some of the 1080p's drop in price

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmiro /forum/post/14176254

Dont really know where to start....Im very happy with the image, and I just bought a new bulb (urghhhh $600) but Im starting to think that for a couple of thousand I could have a projector that kicks this one out of the water....The marantz was a gift to me a couple years ago so spending more than 2000 to get a new one is a little over my budget. Are there any in the sub $2k range that would be substancially better than my current set up?

thanks all for your help....

Since you have a new bulb, I would stick it out a little longer. Wait a little longer and then go to 1080p. I think even a six month wait will save you $500.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have a chance to pick up a used VP-12S2 as my first decent projector. It will come with a 30 day warranty.

What is a good used price on these now?

·
Registered
935 Posts

Quote:
Thinking of getting new projector....I currently have a Marantz VP-12S2

What, are you nuts? There are no sub 2K projectors that will be better than the one you have. If it had a longer zoom, it'd be close to perfect. It's definitely a keeper, at least until excellent 1080p DLPs with lens shift and longer zooms become available. That's probably not going to happen for a while.

Enjoy that projector; it's a good one. And make sure you thank the person that gave it to you. It was just a couple of years ago that the 12S2 would have cost you over 10 grand.

Jim

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/14388912

What, are you nuts? There are no sub 2K projectors that will be better than the one you have. If it had a longer zoom, it'd be close to perfect. It's definitely a keeper, at least until excellent 1080p DLPs with lens shift and longer zooms become available. That's probably not going to happen for a while.

Enjoy that projector; it's a good one. And make sure you thank the person that gave it to you. It was just a couple of years ago that the 12S2 would have cost you over 10 grand.

Jim

Jim,

See my post right above. What would you pay for a used one today?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I guess I should add that the used 12S2 offer on the table includes a 30 day warranty and $300 towards a new bulb since the current bulb has 411 hours left.

What would you pay for the projector?

Anyone have any thoughts on value?

I have to make a decision soon.

·
Registered
935 Posts
A 12s2 (or 12s3) is probably worth somewhere around $1000. You're actually going to be spending more because the lamp is at its end of life stage. I would pay somewhat more for a 12s4 because it has a longer zoom. But I don't think I'd spend more than $1000 and of course I'd like to get it cheaper than that. Right now there's a 12s4 with 760 hours on ebay going for $1500 or best offer. There's also a demo 12s2 with no starting bids that the seller wants to start at $1200. If I was buying I'd offer the guy with the 12s4 $1200. That's a fair deal. (actually I'd probably offer him $1000, but wouldn't expect him to take it)

Jim

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/14391997

A 12s2 (or 12s3) is probably worth somewhere around $1000. You're actually going to be spending more because the lamp is at its end of life stage. I would pay somewhat more for a 12s4 because it has a longer zoom. But I don't think I'd spend more than $1000 and of course I'd like to get it cheaper than that. Right now there's a 12s4 with 760 hours on ebay going for $1500 or best offer. There's also a demo 12s2 with no starting bids that the seller wants to start at $1200. If I was buying I'd offer the guy with the 12s4 $1200. That's a fair deal. (actually I'd probably offer him $1000, but wouldn't expect him to take it)

Jim

Jim, so let me see if I understand correctly. You state that there is no sub $2000 projectors better than the 12S2 but one should not spend more than $1000 for a 12S2 with a 30 day warranty (which means I can run the 12S2 all day everyday for 30 days and get any issues repaired free of charge).

Okay.

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstrategist /forum/post/14392418

Jim, so let me see if I understand correctly. You state that there is no sub $2000 projectors better than the 12S2 but one should not spend more than $1000 for a 12S2 with a 30 day warranty (which means I can run the 12S2 all day everyday for 30 days and get any issues repaired free of charge).

Okay.

Any other opinions?

I agree with him.

The PQ is supposedly excellent but the bulbs are 600 a piece. While it sounds odd the truth is the 1000-2000 market right in projectors is pretty barren. The 800 buck projectors work great and provide good value but are lesser performers then older more expensive DLPs. At the same time the real jump in PQ will be about 2.5-3K.

I might be tempted to look for a deal on a used Sim2 720p model.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jterrell /forum/post/14393309

I agree with him.

The PQ is supposedly excellent but the bulbs are 600 a piece. While it sounds odd the truth is the 1000-2000 market right in projectors is pretty barren. The 800 buck projectors work great and provide good value but are lesser performers then older more expensive DLPs. At the same time the real jump in PQ will be about 2.5-3K.

I might be tempted to look for a deal on a used Sim2 720p model.

Thanks. Well $700 is about where I am at now when I include the $300 cash the seller is providing towards a replacement bulb for the next year in addition to the 30 day warranty. Sounds like I have a deal.

·
Registered
935 Posts

Quote:

Okay.

Any other opinions?

I was talking about NEW, CURRENTLY SHIPPING sub $2000 projectors. Obviously the used market is an entirely different ballgame.

I stand by my previous comments.

Jim

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:

Jim, so let me see if I understand correctly. You state that there is no sub $2000 projectors better than the 12S2 ...

Lets not get carried away. The 12S2 is a good pj, but it is 4 generations old. It is a

You will get better PQ from any of the lower priced 12S4 DLP competitors from Sharp, Optoma, BenQ, and Infocus. All can be had close out new/refurb for

You will get better PQ from the 1080P LCDs from Sanyo and Panasonic!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan /forum/post/14394843

Lets not get carried away. The 12S2 is a good pj, but it is 4 generations old. It is a

You will get better PQ from any of the lower priced 12S4 DLP competitors from Sharp, Optoma, BenQ, and Infocus. All can be had close out new/refurb for

You will get better PQ from the 1080P LCDs from Sanyo and Panasonic!

Thanks for the input HHF. I was surprised at the $1000-$2000 gap when compared to the 12S2. So I guess $700 is about right.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

Quote:

Okay.

Any other opinions?

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1039990

and this is where many forum members from that thread have been getting their high end older 720P pj's from:

http://www.secondact.com/product/VP1...el_VP12S3.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts