AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Marantz VP-12S1 owner and I want to get a new HD2 projector. The VP-12S2 seems like an obvious choice since I already have the mount. Just pull of the S1 and put on the S2. That would be convenient, but do any of you experts think the other HD2 offerings from Sharp and Dwin might be worth considering… taking into account the hassle or re-doing the mount?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've seen the S2. It puts out a beautiful picture.

I doubt that you could tell a difference in PQ between the Sharp, Marantz, or Dwin in a blind test. All three are worth considering.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If price isn't a concern, it would seem easiest to stick with the S2 from a "hassle" standpoint.

Unless you had all 3 calibrated a showing at the same time, you shouldn't be able to recognize significant differences in the projectors.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
One potential drawback on the S2 is that the Component Inputs are not designed to pass the full HD bandwidth. The result is that HD through its component inputs is slightly less sharp.

This is only a consideration if you wish to use HD devices with component outs. If not, then you would opt for HD devices with DVI outs, which should give a superior picture on any PJ anyways. Copy Protection concerns make the days of Component outs on HD devices numbered anyways, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Interesting question, the S1 is a very nice PJ, good enough to live with for another 9 months IMO. If it was me, I'd sit tight, and wait for the next generation. I guess this depends on your pocket book to some degree, for some it's no big deal, for others, buying a PJ in this price range is a once every 5 to 10 years kind of thing.

However, in my personal case, I can't wait that long as my LS110 really falls down in dark scenes, and is simply no match for the HD2 DLP's, or for that matter your S1.

The S2 is a beautiful PJ, and so is the Z10k and TV3.

If you do decide to upgrade, the S2 would be an easy install for you, and the picture on all three units is so close in quality that it's really academic as to which one you get. The component input issue can be worked around easy enough. Your choice should be based on your particular needs as each of the three PJ's have advantages and disadvantages as discussed on many recent threads.

Good luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Why are you not considering the Runco or Yamaha or SIM solutions?
I want to stick with the most popular PJs for my next purchase. I felt a little burned by the S1. I thought if I waited long enough Marantz would have worked out the bugs.... but they didn't. It had all the common problems the S1 was prone to have. So, my next PJ will be a popular model in this forum. It seems that the S2, 10000, and TV3 have market share. If nobody complains about chronic issues I'll choose one of these. But.. as someone mentioned above, maybe I should just keep my S1. It's still pretty nice.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi FYTON2V,

I think I am in full agreement with Thomas's idea of waiting until the next generation of HD3 pj's. Hopefully, some of these will appear in early Fall. This would also give you time to look at a goodly range of pj's and not be limited by the fads and fashions of AVSForum opinion. I really do believe that you have to see the different pj's for yourself as subjective appreciation plays a very big role in what is considered an enjoyable and satisfying picture. Hence the multiplicity of opinions and arguments that abound on this forum regarding the different HD2 pj's. Good luck with your searches,

Best Wishes,

Paul H

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.