AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please compare & contrast for use as full time viewing in a relatively bright living room setting. Currently using a 50" Plasma, which was great in my previous home (8' viewing distance there), but it is a bit too small for my new house (now 14' viewing distance). Mostly CATV viewing, moderate Bluray, and occasional karaoke. With this size of room, the viewing distance calculator suggests that I need a HUGE screen for porper movie time. I think the only cost effective route is projection, but I am surfe there is an elephant in the room that I am missing.

From what I have read, the PT-AR100U seems like the best for this usage model, and the HD33 is also fairly well reviewed, but I also am a complete novice in the world of projectors. I have no ideas as to my RBE sensitivity, and I am intending to ceiling mount if I do in fact go projection. (3D is nice, but not a must have feature)

Optoma HD33 1080p 3D Bundle

Optoma HD33

HR Series HDMI w/Ethernet Cable, 35 FT

VMPR1 Universal Projector Mount, Black

X102 DLP-Link 3D Glasses

ezFrame Fixed Frame Screen 105"br>

Only $2,049 at ProjectorPeople.com --

Panasonic PT-AR100U 1080p HD Bundle

Panasonic PT-AR100U

HR Series HDMI w/Ethernet Cable, 35 FT

VMPR1 Universal Projector Mount, Black

ezFrame Fixed Frame Screen 105"br>

Only $1,675 at ProjectorPeople.com --

compared to what I understand: Panasonic TCP65ST50 (Black) 65" SMART VIERA 1080p Plasma 3D HDTV $2,699.97

·
Registered
7,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarTajan  /t/1416121/thinking-of-going-projection-input-please#post_22140545

Please compare & contrast for use as full time viewing in a relatively bright living room setting. ...........

For achieving really high contrast with a front projector/screen you really need a dark room. With the projector turned off and with the screen mounted on the wall, the black level seen with any projected image cannot be any darker that how dark the screen surface appears under your rooming lighting (even if you had a perfect projector with zero light output for reference black level). There are some rather expensive screens that can help with moderate light in the room, but the location of the light sources is important. One such screen is the Black Diamond II (or the new BD III) from Screen Innovations. Most screen manufacturers selling screens at low to moderate prices offer grey screen fabrics as well as white. Such typical grey screens may help a little with ambient light, but are not all that effective. High gain retroreflective screens such the DaLite High Power can help, depending on the location of the light sources. However such retroreflective screens required the projector to be mounted near eye-level in order to get the best performance and that usually means using a projector that offers a lens shift capability and neither the HD33 nor the PT-AR100U have this capability.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
In my judgment, the best projector for casual viewing in a multipurpose room is the Epson 3010. It has very good brightness that lets you see vivid, accurate color even with some light coming into the room, and it has 3D for when you want that. The cost is similar to those you are considering.

I do think the 105" size screen is about right. You might consider using the High Power screen from Da-Lite even though you are ceiling mounting, because that will help reject light coming from other sources, and it is affordable. They have a pull down version that is still inexpensive, it gets out of your way, and the waves that develop in the screen will not distort your picture objectionably. If you will have light coming from the wall behind the projector, dark curtains will solve that.

A projector is so much more impressive than any smaller screen at 12 - 14 ft., you will never regret going to front projection with a big room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts