AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the title says it. This is my first post on CRTs, since I usually lurk in the HTPC section.

Actually, my 9PG is a Runco 980 Ultra (I know, I know, but I have this thing for black cases :D ). I'm using an HTPC to drive the Runco at 768p, I have a 1.1 gain, 76" wide Draper screen; the Runco sits on the floor below a table. I'm quite happy with the Runco actually, though I feel it could be brighter (color filtering, floor placement and 1.1 don't help).

Now, I'd NEVER think about the G90 until I saw a window of opportunity for a low price, which I'll let you know should I keep it. Questions:

1) Will the G90 make a huge improvement in light output, with a larger screen (around 90-100") AND ceiling placement AND 1.3/1.5 Stewart screen?

2) Will increased resolution be perceived with further scaling to 960p (I guess this is almost imperceptible). Remember I'm in Europe so no HDTV for me :)

3) Will the lack of filtering bother me now that I've seen it and love it (though the Runco pushes reds a bit)?

4) Is it harder/easier to set up than the Runco?

5) What should I watch for on a used G90 (besides hours/tube wear)? Any particular recommendations?

6) What about noise differences between the 2?

Sorry for these "CRT newbie" posts. I'd like to gather as many opinions as possible.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Mr. Bond is correct. You should do as he says. I'd recommend it if it were at retail, so a really good deal makes it a no brainer.

It's quite a bit brighter at 350 ANSI lumens. Peak white at 1200. Allows for a bigger screen. Your screen choice and PJ placement will optimize this.

Resolution and focus is excellent. If it's properly set up, look at the image at the edges. You won't find another unit that can get such tight focus on the perimeters.

Filtering is not an issue in this case. You'll find the G90 has the truest (SMPTE) reds there are. You will enjoy that. In my opinion, red is the most noticeable color if "off" a little. You really miss it.

I found that the G90 was most notably ahead of the pack on HD material. Because it can resolve to a smaller, tighter beam spot size, HD source material is most flattered.

Given all of this it would seem you have a great deal available to you.

Ted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.