AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I get the MPEG files OFF the mpeg partition. I do NOT want to buy one and then not be able to copy them off (which I hear you cannot do out of the box)

What are the steps to doing this? Does it NEED a new HD to do so?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You set up a home network with the ReplayTV unit on the network. On a computer, you download and setup DVArchive . This software will allow you to download shows from your ReplayTV to your computer. I personally use a G4 PowerBook and save the shows on an external FireWire drive. There is a Windows and LINUX version as well.

Its pretty darn simple to set up and you can schedule downloads to happen pretty much anytime you want.

Best,

Matthew.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You simply need to run a program on your computer called DVArchive . No hacking required.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
BTW, go for the 5040 while they are still being closed out for $400 at Replaytv.com

·
Registered
627 Posts
Medium quality seems to me to be as good as the original. Note that recording in medium quality on your replay takes exactly 2x the space of a standard quality show.

So a 40 hour Replay TV will only store/save 20 hours at Medium quality. I find that medium qulaity looks extremely good especially if you are recording from a good source such as digital cable or dish network satelite, and you are using the S-Video input on your Replay.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thraka
How is the sound/video quality of the files?
I always record on high. If you are offloading your shows to your computer, you may as well record as high as possible and then just delete them from the Replay.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
I always record on high. If you are offloading your shows to your computer, you may as well record as high as possible and then just delete them from the Replay.
If you record on high quality *and* you plan on burning to DVD, you will need to use software to "downgrade" it to DVD quality. High quality on Replay is actually better then DVD. This "downgrading" will take several hours per hour long show (depending on how fast your PC is).

If you record on medium quality it will be DVD compliant and you can burn straight to DVD without converting it first.

of course this doesn't matter if you don't plan on dvd burning ;)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djdementia
If you record on high quality *and* you plan on burning to DVD, you will need to use software to "downgrade" it to DVD quality. High quality on Replay is actually better then DVD. This "downgrading" will take several hours per hour long show (depending on how fast your PC is).

If you record on medium quality it will be DVD compliant and you can burn straight to DVD without converting it first.

of course this doesn't matter if you don't plan on dvd burning ;)
I too record everything at med now, just so I don't need to reencode the video for DVD. The high quality mode peak above the 10mbps transfer limit of DVD. The space on a PC is a lot to have several programs that would fit nicely on DVD.

The on thing I haven't experimented with is DVDShrink or DVD2One to transocde a "out of spec" high quality disc image.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I don't move anything to DVD. I just want good quality video when I decide to watch a show. After I watch it, its toast (but not in the recording to CD kind of way).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.