AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 57" Hitachi CRT RP TV. For the most part I love the TV, because it is very pretty and has all of the good qualities of a CRT (deep blacks, smooth motion, et al.) But we are moving in a month, and I loath to think of moving the beast again. So I have my eyes on the new Sony. My questions are:

1) I read a lot about off-angle viewing being bad on an LCD, but in general is it better, worse, or comperable to that of off angle viewing of a CRT, as I am accustomed to that.

2) Do you think I'll still be satisfied with the black levels going to LCD? I'm far from a snob about it, but I like my blacks to be darkish. That being said, I prefer a bright picture to perfect blacks, which is why I'm not considering Plasma.

3) I hate 120 hz smooth motiony stuff for movies and TV, but how does it look with video games? I will be doing a lot of that on it (and I'm assuming I can just turn it off for movies).

Any other impressions from those that went from CRT to LCD would be appreciated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
First off, those are really nice displays wildside50. I have a friend that is still very affectionate of his "baby". Who can blame him? Not me. Like you said though, and especially in your case with moving - that makes for a major headache in regards to the bulk and weight of these suckers.

1.) In my opinion, the CRT will be much better off-angle with viewing angles. Some people are more sensitive to this sort of thing, but in general I think most would agree that CRT make for much better off-angle viewing. Now that said, some of the newer LCD and LED offerings are much better in this area, so it would depend upon the model. In the case of the Sony EX500 series, I only had about an hour or two with them in store, and to my eyes the off-angle viewing was good in the store. YMMV in that regard.

2.) Sony black levels in general tend to be very good, but again this will vary from model to model. From everything that I've read and seen, the black levels in the EX500 seem to be very good. I'd suggest going to a store and spending some time with one, and hopefully demoing some material with them.

3.) In some cases, you can turn the motion enhancers on/off. I'm not sure whether or not that is the case with the EX500, so hopefully an owner can chime in on that. Some sets are static at 120Hz.

In my case, I had a seamless transition moving from the CRT to LCD world. There's certainly drawbacks to LCD's, but to me the positives outweighed the negatives. You may feel differently, and certainly many do, but I enjoy LCD technology. The only other thing I can think of, CRTs emit electromagnetic radiation. Those that are environmentally conscious might be quicker to move to LCD's, and others not so much. So if that matters to you, that's another thing to consider. Good luck and happy hunting...

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^The OP has a crt rear projection, not direct view.

1-Off angle viewing is much better on an lcd at extreme angles than on your rptv, within the range where this is not an issue on rtpv it may be a bit worse but takes the form of a slight shift in color intensity rather than a total fadeout as is the case at extreme angles with the current set.

2-due to internal reflections and probably some dust buildup on your crt lenses chances are the onscreen black levels on an lcd will actually be better than on your current set. With regard to brightness I can guarantee that a plasma can and will easily produce a brighter picture than your rptv. Most plasmas above entry level have a better antiglare treatment than you currently have.

3-Frame interpolation can be turned off on the lcd to eliminate the soap opera effect. If gaming lag is a concern check for threads regarding this to determine which lcd sets have the least--general consensus is among larger sets the Sharps have the least.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, I don't know why but I was thinking direct view. Was up early and no morning coffee unfortunately. Thanks for pointing that out, Steve.

My bad...

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside50 /forum/post/18308720

I currently own a 57" Hitachi CRT RP TV. For the most part I love the TV, because it is very pretty and has all of the good qualities of a CRT (deep blacks, smooth motion, et al.) But we are moving in a month, and I loath to think of moving the beast again. So I have my eyes on the new Sony. My questions are:

1) I read a lot about off-angle viewing being bad on an LCD, but in general is it better, worse, or comperable to that of off angle viewing of a CRT, as I am accustomed to that.

2) Do you think I'll still be satisfied with the black levels going to LCD? I'm far from a snob about it, but I like my blacks to be darkish. That being said, I prefer a bright picture to perfect blacks, which is why I'm not considering Plasma.

3) I hate 120 hz smooth motiony stuff for movies and TV, but how does it look with video games? I will be doing a lot of that on it (and I'm assuming I can just turn it off for movies).

Any other impressions from those that went from CRT to LCD would be appreciated.

Since you don't seem to be all that interested in 3-D, why not keep what you have as long as it is working properly?

As Steve S mentioned, a cleaning of the CRT RPTV would be nice, but since you have no complaints about the black level you are getting now, it doesn't seem like a necessity. Personally, I wouldn't try this myself. Leave well-enough alone.

LCDs are only going to get less expensive as time goes on. While there might be some sales for March Madness, the biggest sales on TVs are right before Black Friday, and then for the Superbowl. Then there are the "sales" when the new years' models are introduced and stores are clearing out their discontinued models.

I don't know if you've ever seen this thread but it is about keeping your CRT RPTV:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=695922

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18309812

Since you don't seem to be all that interested in 3-D, why not keep what you have as long as it is working properly?

Has my wife been talking to you? Heh. While yes the TV works, there are 3 main things.

1) We are moving in 2 months and REALLY don't want to have to move this bohemoth to a 3rd floor apartment.

2) It only has 1 HDMI input, and with that input my particular TV has an issue called HDMI shift, where at random times the entire picture will shift to the left about 6". It can be really annoying when you're about to hit a 98 mph fastball in MLB 10.

3) The screen is just too darn big. When I went to buy it a couple of years ago, I wanted the 51" then, but it was sold out. So I had to get the 57". It's a big darn screen.

Then there's ancillary issues like I want to use it as a PC monitor at certain times, and the CRT isn't great for that. Could I wait? Yeah, but then I have to move it and that just sucks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18309565

2-due to internal reflections and probably some dust buildup on your crt lenses chances are the onscreen black levels on an lcd will actually be better than on your current set. With regard to brightness I can guarantee that a plasma can and will easily produce a brighter picture than your rptv. Most plasmas above entry level have a better antiglare treatment than you currently have.

Well my current CRT doesn't have a protective screen, just straight matte lenticular. Its one of the reasons I bought this specific model, didn't want reflections, so any reflections is a downgrade. But I still have to hang a blanket over the living room window if I want to see anything between the hours of noon and 4 pm, which is annoying.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger on the new TV. I couldn't be happier. I'm sure in the long run I'll find little things with it that bug me, but first impressions after putting it through it's paces are all possitive. I much prefer the image to my CRT RP. The old TV looks downright blurry by comparison. And man oh man, it looks WAY better off angle. If Plasmas are supposed to perform better off angle than LCD, you must be able to see a plasma from behind the TV. AND NO MORE CONVERGENCE!! Hip hip!

Thanks all for the input and helping me make a decision.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have a 36" Sony Trinitron CRT (i guess its direct view - not rear projection) from the year 2000. It weighs a FRIGGIN TON. I want to give it away since it is nearly worthless. I may grab a neighbor and take it to goodwill in his truck. I am not sure, but someone said to ask goodwill if they pick up large items. Goodwill is only 2-3 miles from my house.

I am looking to get the sony KDL-46ex701 from costco.

I am concerned about gaming lag, as my xbox360 is an older model with no HDMI port - so I just bought the component cables for it. man, i hope it works, or i'll be bummed. Same issue for the NINTENDO Wii that I have. Both consoles will be hooked into a brand new Denon 1910 and then into the TV via HDMI.

I think for both you and I, we are going to be thrilled with just about any HDTV we buy - since we're coming from 480i televisions.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhite79 /forum/post/18314355

I am in the same boat. I have a 36" Sony Trinitron CRT (i guess its direct view - not rear projection) from the year 2000. It weighs a FRIGGIN TON. I want to give it away since it is nearly worthless. I may grab a neighbor and take it to goodwill in his truck. I am not sure, but someone said to ask goodwill if they pick up large items. Goodwill is only 2-3 miles from my house.

I am concerned about gaming lag, as my xbox360 is an older model with no HDMI port - so I just bought the component cables for it. man, i hope it works, or i'll be bummed. Same issue for the NINTENDO Wii that I have. Both consoles will be hooked into a brand new Denon 1910 and then into the TV via HDMI.

I think for both you and I, we are going to be thrilled with just about any HDTV we buy - since we're coming from 480i televisions.

Lot of places won't accept CRT TVs or CRT computer monitors anymore because of lead and/or mercury. That is the big reason why Best Buy bundled recycling (removing your old TV), as part of its delivery service. Last I heard, delivery and recycling came at no extra charge on TVs $1,000 and up at Best Buy.

Best Regards

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhite79 /forum/post/18314355

Well, my friend and I played a game of MLB '10 The Show on PS3 without making any video adjustments, and didn't notice a single frame of lag (and with a 103 mph fastball, every frame counts). We had already played the game on my CRT RP, so that is what we are accustomed to, and didn't have to make any adjustments with the new set.

The EX700 series are an LED backlit screen, with a lot more bells and whistles than my EX500. Its bound to be a few leaps, and possibly bounds beyond my experience, which is very satisfactory. I'm sure you'd be more than happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside50 /forum/post/18315227

Well, my friend and I played a game of MLB '10 The Show on PS3 without making any video adjustments, and didn't notice a single frame of lag...

You say no adjustments, but did you turn off 120hz? I have found it to do funky things to games.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRX /forum/post/18320603

You say no adjustments, but did you turn off 120hz? I have found it to do funky things to games.

Yeah that was one thing. I considered turning it on to be an adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts