AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently upgraded to a setup with Paradigm S8's and C5 in piano black. Now my PB2 Ultra in natural oak, just isn't working in the room aesthetically. Love the beast but I'm thinking of 2 subs, one the side of S8.

Thinking of two PB12 Plus's or dual package HSU VTF-15H. Any thoughts? Opinions on one PB13 Ultra versus the dual setups I'm looking at?

Feel free to throw out other suggestions.

Anyone have experience going from a PB2 Ultra to another set up and want to comment?

Randy

·
Registered
241 Posts
Room size? Room layout?

Large room I'd go with dual subs. The 15Hs are incredible. Have them myself.

Ray

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehza  /t/1417979/thinking-of-replacing-my-svs-pb2-ultra#post_22176452

Room size? Room layout?

Large room I'd go with dual subs. The 15Hs are incredible. Have them myself.

Ray

Large room with bar & lounge area behind HT area, not a dedicated HT. Take a look at the link in my sig line below. The PB2 Ultra has two 12" drivers and does well to fill the HT area, if not the whole room, but the sound can be localized at times.

I'd like to put 2 subs under the screen, between the mains & center, but that may mean raising the screen a bit.

Randy

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman  /t/1417979/thinking-of-replacing-my-svs-pb2-ultra#post_22177375

Large room with bar & lounge area behind HT area, not a dedicated HT. Take a look at the link in my sig line below. The PB2 Ultra has two 12" drivers and does well to fill the HT area, if not the whole room, but the sound can be localized at times.

I'd like to put 2 subs under the screen, between the mains & center, but that may mean raising the screen a bit.

Randy

That's a decently large room, open to another corridor/room it seems. You do have lots of room under the screen for subs, as long as you lay them on the side. Most 15 inch or bigger subs are very tall, brand dependand, but the HSUs definitely are very tall. You could lay them on the side. But for the best room response you would most likely have to set one of them at the front left corner of your room, next yo tour LEFT floor standing one and the second subwoofer on the opposite side of the wall, BEHIND you. In other words in the BACK LEFT.

But to me that would kick my OCD in and annoy the crap out of me and I still place both of them up front like you are planning to. Just would look more menacing and complete. Maybe a 3rd HSU sometime down the road to place in the rear?

Ray

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehza  /t/1417979/thinking-of-replacing-my-svs-pb2-ultra#post_22177418

That's a decently large room, open to another corridor/room it seems. You do have lots of room under the screen for subs, as long as you lay them on the side. Most 15 inch or bigger subs are very tall, brand dependand, but the HSUs definitely are very tall. You could lay them on the side. But for the best room response you would most likely have to set one of them at the front left corner of your room, next yo tour LEFT floor standing one and the second subwoofer on the opposite side of the wall, BEHIND you. In other words in the BACK LEFT.

But to me that would kick my OCD in and annoy the crap out of me and I still place both of them up front like you are planning to. Just would look more menacing and complete. Maybe a 3rd HSU sometime down the road to place in the rear?

Ray

Thanks.

I have the flexibility on placement, but not as much as it shows there Those pictures are old. I need to update them. There are two rows of chairs now and the screen is a 235:1. About the same height from floor as the current pic, but wider.

As long as I am getting proper bass response in the seating area, that's all that matters. I have the Anthem ARC system on my AVM50v which helps with some of the room challenges.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
You have a good sub. Just get a cabinet maker to re-veneer it to match. Much cheaper than purchasing a new sub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts