AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering moving to BC, Canada and uncertain as to how much BS I'd have to go through in order to keep/use my UTV & DTV across the border, I may just sell them instead. I know this forum frowns upon certain topics so I will keep my questions related to the selling only.

I have 2 Sony UTV with wireless keyboards, both less than 2 years old. First unit has 120GB WDC 7200rpm 2MB drive, second has the regular 40GB. Both have the P4 cards and except for the P4 card glitches which should be fixed in v3.7 ;-) I've never had any problems with them.

1) How much are they worth?

2) Best place to sell them?

3) I see some people selling without the access cards included. Any reason why the cards are not included?

Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi there, first of all good luck with the move.

I have seen unmodified Sonys go for around $300 each over on eBay. As to your question regarding people selling units without cards, I think it is due to the fact that cards can be sold separately, well the older P3 cards, for a nice chunk of change too - not going into this further.

Another option, and this is one that I have read about on numerous forums, is to keep a US address available to you, friends, relatives, not sure if a PO Box works, but that could be another option so that you can continue enjoying your UTVs.

- Brett

·
Registered
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brett Wilson
Another option, and this is one that I have read about on numerous forums, is to keep a US address available to you, friends, relatives, not sure if a PO Box works, but that could be another option so that you can continue enjoying your UTVs.
There is more than just the billing address issue - it is illegal in Canada to own and operate a DirecTV syste,. There are satellite systems in Canada, at leeast one offers basic PVRs functions - but your UTV will be useless with those systems.

Assuming you decide to ignore that law and the possible penalties you will still have to solve the billing address and phone-home issues (Canadian phone numbers will be captured by the caller ID technology DTV uses to see where the machines are calling from.)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scopeman
Assuming you decide to ignore that law and the possible penalties you will still have to solve the billing address and phone-home issues (Canadian phone numbers will be captured by the caller ID technology DTV uses to see where the machines are calling from.)
If he is a paying customer, and choose to go that route I for one would not mind it. And you could just NOT plug in the phone line. I have a UTV in continous use without a phone line for almost 2 years now. My newer 2 UTV's were also activated WITHOUT a phone line connected. As to the caller ID coming up in 3.7, someone who HAS 3.7 stated he doesn't have a phone line connected to his UTV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.