Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I am currently a dish subsriber but I am thinking about changing to get hdnet. I have a ?. Will the dish that I have work with directv and hdtv or will I have to change to that oval directv dish..

Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you are going to switch all your programming over, the easiest way to do it is to get the oval DirecTV dish and use that. You will have to pick up signals from both 101 and 119 (18 degress apart) and the oval DirecTV dish is made for that.

That said, it is conceivable that you might be able to find a use for the Echostar dish but unless you enjoy the challenge of figuring it all out you are better off just getting the right equipment for the job. The "Dish 500" is aimed for two satellites that are 9 degress apart so you would have to jerry-rig it or use it for just one orbital position in a 2-dish setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Use the two separate dishes and by a new switch on Ebay. You can get better signal reception on both sats using two separate dishes which is nice when you have the rain fade problem. Save you money! HDnet is great and getting better all the time!

Brian

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
The dishes, LNBs and cables are interchangeable
Not exactly. The LNBs are electrically compatible, but not necessarily mechanically interchangable. For example, a current D500 owner switching to DirecTV can't get a bare DirecTV oval dish mount his old Dish LNBs on it. I understand it's not difficult to bolt a D* LNB on an E* dish, but the reverse is not true.

I did succeed in jamming a Dish LNB in the *center* (110) position of the D* oval dish, but that took a fair amount of "plastic surgery".

- Fred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.